London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 19 of 22
Sunday 17 April 2016 10.22am
South London Press called me about the skaters. They're subsequent article is posted here: https://twitter.com/roundaboutnews/status/721382479345688576

Note also the recent exchange with @MPSCathedralSgt on Twitter and @Applejessie, suggesting the issue might take a while to resolve.
Monday 18 April 2016 8.18am
one has to begin as one needs to go on in these cases. As I said before the council must nip this in the bud and put "no Skateboarders" measures in place. I really was shocked to see the guy putting candle wax on the benches...that's vandalism. IF these areas are meant to be for the leisure and enjoyment of people (which I question) they at least should be free of skate boarders bearing down on unsuspecting pedestrians....it's a lethal mix. But the whole damn roundabout is now lethal...honestly where will this all end?
Monday 18 April 2016 4.39pm
Thing is Jackie, are these "shared spaces"?
I doubt they are going to ban anything that is manually operated and on wheels. EU directive by the way.
Monday 18 April 2016 4.56pm
The entire central piazza is shared space, with dropped kerbs for cyclists and some subtle signs in the stone and on a few marker posts showing the designation. It wasn't meant to be this way. I recall TfL clearly stating they'd concluded from feedback at round 1 of the consultation (April 2014) that the cycling short cuts across the piazza would not be implemented. It seems they've not just gone back on that but are welcoming skate boarders as a delightful symbol of 21st century urban spectacle, something that can look great on a social media feed or in a developer's 'mood film' but isn't so practical to actually experience. As for cyclists in the space, well their presence is just starting. I watched one fly down Newington Causeway at high speed, straight onto the piazza at the pedestrian crossing and bomb through towards the dropped kerb outside the Northern line station, following the natural and legitimate desire line for any cyclist, conveniently shaving off the indirect 'bend' of the yet to be opened new segregated cycle lanes. The piazza provides many short cuts for cyclists in multiple directions, the one TfL designated in the consultation and then said they'd scrapped is westbound ring road traffic from New Kent Road to the link road, a direct route lost to all other road users when the roundabout closed who instead have to almost entirely circumnavigate The Bend. The short cuts are sufficiently advantageous to probably make navigating pedestrians on the piazza a tolerable obstacle.
Tuesday 19 April 2016 12.19pm
Perronetonian wrote:
.... As for cyclists in the space, well their presence is just starting. I watched one fly down Newington Causeway at high speed, straight onto the piazza at the pedestrian crossing and bomb through towards the dropped kerb outside the Northern line station, following the natural and legitimate desire line for any cyclist, conveniently shaving off the indirect 'bend' of the yet to be opened new segregated cycle lanes...

"Natural", certainly. "Legitimate", I'm not so sure.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 19 April 2016 5.26pm
It's only legitimate because it's been designated and signed as "shared space". A bad idea in my view because of the negative impact on pedestrians. Shared space I think works better when the flow of cyclists is parallel not perpendicular to pedestrians as at three new places by The Bend... but so much of the new cycling infrastructure here seems to be more about appearing to cater for cyclists than actually genuinely providing practical safe alternatives to being on the road.
Tuesday 19 April 2016 7.03pm
Fair enough. Perhaps the line is legitimate, but it appears that the speed is inappropriate.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 19 April 2016 7.26pm
All these swanky new benches and landscaping was, I thought, to create social interaction and general milling about. If the whole place is going to be turned over to cyclists ans skaters what was the point? Or was it always going to be a general thoroughfare with a small pedestrian alley?
O n another note, despite the huge number of refuse bins, the cigarette butts are all over the areas near the benches and indeed around the bins. The place is going to be a TIP in no time.
Wednesday 20 April 2016 6.43am
Walked across the "piazza" yesterday. Two of the four benches (all four engraved with Michael Faraday's name) are unusable because of the skateboarders. Not sure whether sitting on a roundabout would be my idea of leisure/recreation but I'm saddened and depressed about this. I talked with a passer-by who felt the same way and had reported this to the police but anyone posting on SE1 got any good/workable ideas about how to resolve this?
Wednesday 20 April 2016 7.02am
Absolutely scandalous Alberta. We passed just as they were using candles to wax them. I was shocked at the wanton disregard for a supposedly public facility. SURELY something can be done.
Current: 19 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions