London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 22
Monday 7 December 2015 2.58pm
I cycled round it earlier and it wasn't as confusing as I expected. Bit weird going the 'wrong' way around the roundabout though (from Newington Butts towards Walworth).

Hopefully the tailbacks are mostly due to half the lanes still being out of action and will improve. It's months away from being finished.
Monday 7 December 2015 4.02pm
James Hatts wrote:
You can walk across the former roundabout to get from the shopping centre to the Bakerloo line entrance on London Road.

I never knew that, thanks!
Tuesday 8 December 2015 9.34am
Morning #2 and we flew right through on the bus - no problems! If you were unfortunate enough to be in a non-bus-lane vehicle it didn't look great as traffic was still backed up to bricklayers, but not that unusual under the old system either.
Tuesday 8 December 2015 9.57am
It's terrifying for pedestrians. Had to do it twice yesterday with 4 kids. If you are fast you can get across, if not, you are standing between red and white plastic buckets the traffic thundering around you.
Tuesday 8 December 2015 11.08am
Walked across at about 0900 today and looked like it was working much better than yesterday. The new crossing the Bakerloo from the roundabout/peninsular is a great improvement.
Tuesday 8 December 2015 4.04pm
Presumably the reduced capacity will eventually settle down as people switch to other forms of transport. The idea nowadays is that if you have more car capacity people will switch to cars until you reach the same level of congestion that prompted them to switch to public transport or cycling in the first place and vice versa if you have less capacity then in response to more congestion people will switch to other forms of transport until the disincentive to drive balances out again.

It's just a question of which forms of transport you wish to incentivise by artificially subsidising different forms of transport with increased or decreased car, bus, rail or cycle transportation infrastructure and capacity.
Wednesday 9 December 2015 8.22am
The main issue I'm seeing (as a non-driver) are the buses bunching together on the London Road. I can only assume this is because their schedules are all out of kilter. There were 4 45s on the London Road at 5pm yesterday. As others have said its early days and hopefully things will get better.
Wednesday 9 December 2015 9.01am
Whizzed through this morning and no traffic backed up to Bricklayers either for a change. (I was on a bus btw.) I was surprised at how many traffic lights we had to stop at between NKR and London Road, and cyclists looked very vulnerable - I wouldn't chance it myself, I'd take the cycle bypass.
Wednesday 9 December 2015 9.49am
problem is everyone is trying to avoid the E&C so long lane was backed up past Weston Street last 2 mornings-it is just moving the problem around

we really will not see the effects till after xma

Sorry if already asked but if coming feom Borough down Newington Causeway and want to get to NKR if you can't turn left where do you go??
Wednesday 9 December 2015 11.38am
Newington Causeway has been mayhem the last couple of days, the queue of cars and buses to join the roundabout starts just after Borough High Street.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions