London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 21 of 22
Wednesday 4 May 2016 11.48am
Richard, the boundary of the shopping center is around 30m back from the curb. The 8 meters I talked about can pretty much be met with the existing pavement and space used by the ramp up to the center. Tai Tip Mein is the only obstruction.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 12.19pm
That's an encouraging calculation. Do press Delancey to use the land in this way and if you're not already involved then ingratiate yourself into their consultation network. I remain naively optimistic developers might occasionally take on board feedback.
Saturday 16 July 2016 3.18pm
This layout is STILL dangerous. Almost run over just now crossing on green man at Newington Causeway by not one but two cars going the wrong way.
Monday 18 July 2016 12.21pm
It's terrible. The frequency of the near misses, as well as collisions (thankfully not fatal) together with the incessant honking suggests another accident is likely. Given the response from TfL is defensive and local politicians are either silent or distracted by congestion (an issue, but one that was intentionally designed in, where as new dangers are surely just from incompetence), I'm resigned to any further changes only happening after further loss of life.

There is one optimistic rumour circulating that the subway beneath the link road may be re-opened several years from now, as a link between the new 'cultural venue' where the LCC is now, and the ticket hall of the tube station.
Friday 30 December 2016 8.24am
It's a year and twenty-one pages since this matter was raised and nothing in the last six months since July. Does this mean that the new system is working satisfactorily?

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU>
Friday 30 December 2016 4.50pm
We asked for increased cycle provision, and TfL stole our pavements.
Should we have explicitly said, "at the expense of some of the tarmac on the eight-lane dual carriageway"
Were we naive or stupid?
Zoe
Friday 30 December 2016 5.28pm
Look at the terrible fuss at Embankment, one lane taken which now carries 52% of the traffic yet people are outraged. I think we need to really spell it out explicitly to TfL or they will go with the loudest voices, which tends to be taxi drivers as they have a lot of seats on the TfL board.
Saturday 31 December 2016 12.30am
Zoe wrote:
Look at the terrible fuss at Embankment, one lane taken which now carries 52% of the traffic yet people are outraged. I think we need to really spell it out explicitly to TfL or they will go with the loudest voices, which tends to be taxi drivers as they have a lot of seats on the TfL board.

To the best of my recall the closest to "lots of taxi drivers on the board of TFL" was just Bob Oddy, chairman of the Licenced Taxi Drivers Association.
If there were any others connected to the trade, then I apologise ZoŽ, as I was unaware of it.
Personally, as an ex black cab driver, I think that licenced black cab drivers need a strong voice within TFL.
Zoe
Saturday 31 December 2016 3.43pm
I don't object to taxi drivers having a voice, but TfL needs to represent all users of all forms of transport (including pedestrians). We also have an issue with some groups having too much influence. The LTDA for example has been very loud in their objection to bike lanes, which is bound to cause unnecessary tension between different users. It's also a bit odd as I don't think it's very helpful to taxi drivers, as less cars in central London can only help as people will take taxis instead.
Wednesday 4 January 2017 4.17pm
Traffic down Harper Road is still bad a year on. Despite protestations, doesn't seem like TFL are doing much about it quickly
Current: 21 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions