London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 22
Wednesday 9 December 2015 3.55pm
dee dee wrote:

Sorry if already asked but if coming feom Borough down Newington Causeway and want to get to NKR if you can't turn left where do you go??

Depending where you want to be on NKR but you can turn down Harper Road which comes out on NKR by the mini Tesco. I imagine a lot of people are probably doing that though so you'll probably still end up in a queue!
Wednesday 9 December 2015 4.27pm
What about turning left into Arch Street (right before Metro Central) and turning into Meadow Row?
Wednesday 9 December 2015 7.16pm
You can't turn in to Arch Street. You'd have to go left on Harper Road, right down bath terrace, left on Rockingham, right down meadow row and then left on NKR.
Wednesday 9 December 2015 7.55pm
i still donn't understand why traffic cannot turn left from Newington Causeway!!
Wednesday 9 December 2015 8.09pm
From what I can make out if you want to turn left from NC to NKR you will have to proceed as if you are going to Walworth Road then go around the Walworth Road and Kennington Lane roundabout and back towards NC and follow the new layout through 270 degrees until you reach the NKR. If I am right then I will be amazed if I'm wrong then I am sure the orienteers will have a field day proving me wrong.
Thursday 10 December 2015 10.37am
Impressed that google maps has already changed the layout of the roundabout.
Thursday 10 December 2015 12.11pm
I got the number 1 bus from Holborn around midnight yesterday. Bad decision as the grid-lock started on Waterloo Road. Driver kindly let people off so they could walk. Used to like getting the bus around SE1. I'll use cabs in future, which can avoid the mess that is E&C. Shame really. And I feel for people on a tight budget, for whom a cab might not be an option.
Thursday 10 December 2015 12.25pm
Depending where you want to be on NKR but you can turn down Harper Road which comes out on NKR by the mini Tesco. I imagine a lot of people are probably doing that though so you'll probably still end up in a queue!

There have been almost daily occurrences of coaches, lorries and other large vehicles hitting the metal bollard on the corner of Harper Road and NKR junction. Clearly they are diverting away from Newington Causeway and the Elephant but the junction really isn't designed for large vehicles. Plus the number of motorists using Harper Road as a rat run - at speeds well above 20mph - is on the increase. I'm sure TFL and Southwark Council planned for this though.
Thursday 10 December 2015 1.04pm
We'll be attempting our first drive through it on Saturday. Am I right in thinking that you can still turn right onto St George's Road having coming up New Kent Road? Even if you'll now arrive at it anti-clockwise.
Thursday 10 December 2015 1.24pm
richard_badger wrote:
I got the number 1 bus from Holborn around midnight yesterday. Bad decision as the grid-lock started on Waterloo Road. Driver kindly let people off so they could walk. Used to like getting the bus around SE1. I'll use cabs in future, which can avoid the mess that is E&C. Shame really. And I feel for people on a tight budget, for whom a cab might not be an option.

The bus drivers have been excellent through all of this...pretty sure they'll start snapping soon!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions