London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 22
Thursday 10 December 2015 2.01pm
last night was awful as they were resurfacing St Georges Circus-i was on a c10 at around 8-30 and we got diverted down Waterloo road but the driver and no one on the radio knew where we were supposed to go the driver even got an a-z out and he and another driver were looking at it-in the end the buses were just parking up which added to the chaos and we had to walk

They were slao doing Borough High Street and round Waterloo at the same time which added to the chaos!!
Thursday 10 December 2015 3.33pm
Just walked to the sainsburys on the Cut - total traffic chaos , vehicles stuck tail to tail and is like this every day now ....
Thursday 10 December 2015 3.52pm
Crossing outside Bakerloo line tube entrance is potentially very dangerous - it has traffic lights for traffic coming along London Road from Waterloo but no lights at all for traffic coming from other directions. As a result anything that comes from Newington Causeway and New Kent Road and isn't stopped by the lights waits at give way markings to turn right. Unfortunately this traffic them goes when the lights for traffic from south go red, which is the same time the pedestrian lights go green. Have been through there twice on evenings since Sunday and twice had to dodge buses and cyclists going through crossing with green man showing.
Thursday 10 December 2015 5.56pm
I think the thread subject title might need a couple of extra ???? at the end.
Thursday 10 December 2015 8.09pm
dee dee wrote:
Sorry if already asked but if coming feom Borough down Newington Causeway and want to get to NKR if you can't turn left where do you go??

Those who travel southwards down London Road and Newington Causeway, with the intention to head east down the New Kent Road, should travel south past the shopping centre, and make a right turn just opposite One The Elephant.

This is essentially a u-turn that will place them in a lane that will take them past the junctions with St George's Road to the west, London Road, and Newington Causeway to the north, and finally eastward into New Kent Road.
Friday 11 December 2015 1.34am
A friend of mine traveled from Westmoreland Road to the Old Vic bus stop on Waterloo Road late on Wednesday night. He caught a 176 bus at 11.32 pm, the bus was terminated at Waterloo Station on the orders of London Transport control to the driver when it should have continued its normal route, those passengers who wished to continue and had paid for a longer journey were issued with the necessary tickets by the driver. The reason, at the time my friend left the bus at the Old Vic it was 00.45 am on Thursday morning. That's right the journey of less than two miles had taken nearly an hour and a quarter late at night when it's unsafe for an individual to walk alone on the street.
Thank you Boris and your misguided geniuses at TfL, at least the cyclists are grateful. May we live to see the day when your plans for E&C make the rest of us grateful too.
Friday 11 December 2015 1.07pm
Driven around it the past couple of days coming from Kennington Lane and going down NKR. Actual traffic levels felt comparable to the old roundabout but the 'Bend' seems only half-finished. Inadequate signage, lanes ending without notice. I realise doing the work and keeping the junction open is difficult but this just feels haphazard.
Friday 11 December 2015 9.58pm
Hi, new on here but have lived in SE1 for 25 years. I am in total despair at what is happening to this wonderful area with the 'improvements' at E&C and George's Circus and all the block paving 'tables' at every single junction. All journeys now in the area have at least an extra 30 minutes added on, not to mention choking pollution from all vehicles standing for so long when previously they'd move about relatively happily and such an increase in anger and frustration! Tailbacks night and day from E&C all the way to Borough tube. I shudder to think how much this has all cost. More horrifying is that I walk my son to school in Bermondsey from Borough and the very first block paving 'table' that was created in SE1 in Lynton Road about 6 months ago, I noticed this week has already got some loose paving blocks and surely won't be long til they start repairing it!! My husband used to cycle from Borough to Victoria every day but has decided that he's just going to walk from now on. Safer and faster.
Saturday 12 December 2015 12.01am
The main problem I have noticed over the last week is the funnelling of traffic going south along Newington Causeway (including the bus lane and a third lane of traffic including buses emerging from Gaunt Street on the right) into one lane between the junction of Rockingham Street and Elephant & Castle. This is the main cause of the tailbacks to Borough Station or beyond. I now see that a broad cycle track separated by solid square kerbs is being installed where bus stop H was (it looks like the bus stop for Elephant & Castle will now only be where stop G is, about 100 yards from Elephant & Castle junction) and there is no room for a second motor or bus lane beyond Rockingham Street. Does anyone know if the "keep left" concrete bollards in the cente are to be removed and then only one traffic lane provided going north into Newington Causeway in order to allow a second traffic and/or bus lane going south? Maybe this would work but otherwise its a potential disaster.
Saturday 12 December 2015 9.04am
denis loretto wrote:
The main problem I have noticed over the last week is the funnelling of traffic going south along Newington Causeway (including the bus lane and a third lane of traffic including buses emerging from Gaunt Street on the right) into one lane between the junction of Rockingham Street and Elephant & Castle. This is the main cause of the tailbacks to Borough Station or beyond. I now see that a broad cycle track separated by solid square kerbs is being installed where bus stop H was (it looks like the bus stop for Elephant & Castle will now only be where stop G is, about 100 yards from Elephant & Castle junction) and there is no room for a second motor or bus lane beyond Rockingham Street. Does anyone know if the "keep left" concrete bollards in the cente are to be removed and then only one traffic lane provided going north into Newington Causeway in order to allow a second traffic and/or bus lane going south? Maybe this would work but otherwise its a potential disaster.

See the map
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/elephant-and-castle-map-november-2015-traffic-switch.pdf
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions