London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 22
Wednesday 13 January 2016 5.03pm
And thanks P, I have just mailed Patrick Kelly.

In summary compared to before as a local user I can state -

1) Vehicle - much much longer to get from A to B, including a ridiculous circumnavigation of two roundabouts as certain turns are prohibited. Huge tailbacks on all roads for public and private vehicles.

2) Pedestrian - no comparison to subways. Plus everyone is crossing wily nily now at any point they choose too.

3) Bike - tbd, but I cannot understand what will happen at rush hour in such a small space.

I wonder if TFL are doing any analysis to determine what a cock up they have produced.
Thursday 14 January 2016 9.13am
The Subways may have been ' dirty and smelly' but at least they were safe! No way could I cross the road in the few seconds they give you, if you walk with sticks and it's wet you have to take your time in case your stick slips...and what about people with children and babies in pushchairs? Oh yeah I forgot..not really necessary to the new amazing E and C..

Wonder how long it will be before there another serious incident involving pedestrians. It was bad enough in New Kent Rd. with people running from The Coronet side to Metro heights to catch one of many bus routes there.
Thursday 14 January 2016 10.37am
It's a total nightmare, we are going to have miles of paving with trees and benches, more suited to southern Italy than England. The traffic is backed up miles and there is NOTHING good about the whole ridiculous plan.
Thursday 14 January 2016 4.22pm
[quote Jan the old one]
if you walk with sticks and it's wet you have to take your time in case your stick slips...

There is no room for people with sticks in the 'New Elephant'
Thursday 14 January 2016 10.11pm
I'll have to go with my Zimmer frame Graham, perhaps with the addition of traffic lights on top bar permanently on red like tower bridge rd.! I know the answer a walkway just like the one that was demolished in new Kent rd. leading to heygate side....no hang about the magnificent Elephant Park side..
Friday 15 January 2016 9.51am
The layout is definitely not working where London Road southbound meets the "Bend". Vehicles in the centre lane are supposed to turn right (as per the road markings) but many force a left, coming into conflict with the vehicles in the inside lane who are legitimately turning left. Have just observed a near collision between a lorry and a double decker. The turn is tight and there's just not enough road for two vehicles, especially if one or both has a wider turning circle. If there hasn't been an accident there yet, there will be soon.
Friday 15 January 2016 11.49am
All this simply screams .PUt BACK THIE UNDERPASES. The pedestrian crossings hold up the traffic interminably, and I have several times seen people vaulting over the barrier between the Tabernacle and the tube...I TOLD Tfl that this would happen. The entire project was misconceived, we knew it, and no one listened.
Putting it right? How exactly?
Friday 15 January 2016 12.56pm
In terms of fixing the issues, well it's incredibly tricky, and there's no local constituted organisation, except perhaps the TRA of which I'm chair at Perronet House, who is taking on the matter with the kind of authority that might achieve things in a conventional way. So it's down to individual campaigning. The safety and practicality issues do at least affect all users badly, so there should be a lose coalition of pedestrians, cyclists, bus passengers and drivers, cabbies and private motorists if this demonised group dare. For anyone actively wanting to shift things soon I suggest the following menu of approaches:

1. Contact the key players in the Labour Council who orchestrated and pushed TfL into this scheme so they could build a developer-luring piazza. These are:
- Peter John (leader) peter.john@southwark.gov.uk (@peterjohn6)
- Mark Williams (regen cabinet member) mark.williams@southwark.gov.uk (@markwilliams84)
- Fiona Colley (previous regen cabinet member) fiona.colley@southwark.gov.uk (@fionacolley)
- Neil Coyle (local cllr and remarkably now also our MP) neil.coyle@southwark.gov.uk (@coyleneil)

2. Contact local ward councillors from opposition parties who are tentatively publicly backing critics of the scheme and were fairly critical at the consultation stage. Simon Hughes MP pressed TfL to retain the two busiest subways and remove shared space from the piazza.
- Adele Morris adele.morris@southwark.gov.uk (@adelecathedrals)
- David Noakes david.noakes@southwark.gov.uk (@cathedralsdavid)
- Maria Linforth-Hall maria.linforth-hall@southwark.gov.uk (@mariaadderley)

3. Contact Ringway Jacobs. Patrick Kelly, an ex-policeman, is the Public Liaison Officer and employed to hear our concerns and pass them onto the relevant TfL officer.
- Patrick Kelly patrick.kelly@ringwayjacobs.com

4. Contact TfL Customer Service on 0343 222 1234 (8am-8pm Mon-Fri) and report any dangerous driving from a TfL bus. They repeatedly drive through green men and park over pedestrian crossings. Reports appear to be taken seriously, and we could perhaps stir the bus companies into telling TfL the function is dangerous

5. Share any cycling concerns with Southwark Cyclists who are happy for contributions from outside their membership. andy@taylor-cawdell.com

5. Put public pressure on the leading TfL officers who embraced rather than challenged the council's enthusiasm for a piazza. Their authority and power needs seriously questioning. Leon Daniels, TfL Head of Surface is more animated by beautification than function, a smooth talking bullying optimist for TfL's passion for piazzafication. Ben Plowden, (title unknown but he's a senior guru there). I've met Ben on a panel discussion and he's a self proclaimed radical for shared space and increasing congestion, an astonishingly narrow minded influencer within TfL who plays into the Mayor's love of an urban spectacle more than a smooth running city. I'm sure he'd privately admit that he's determined to make road use so impossible usage declines, regardless of the impact on buses and business journeys and a few accidents. He sees humans as ants, miraculously safely muddling along judging risk comfortably. In his world everyone is fit, energetic and stress-free. Much like the enthusiasts for fly overs and urban motorways of the 1960s are now caricatured as petrol-quaffing concrete-swilling fools, it's time Ben and his officers were known as equally damaging and having a bad habit of munching York Stone paving for breakfast.
- Leon Daniels @leondaniels
- Ben Plowden @benplowden

6. Put pressure on the developers and their consultants. Lend Lease (@ElephantParkLDN), led by consultant Pat Brown (@patricialondon), were a key player in the Strategic Stakeholder Group and this junction is another reason for their dubious legacy here. Delancey were not part of the group, being a newcomer to the area, and perhaps have more at stake being so adjacent. I know some of the development team are very ambivalent about the piazza that was proposed to lure in their investment. When their planning application for redeveloping the shopping centre is submitted this year comments could perhaps press for their rebuilding opportunity to try and fix some of the opportunities.

6. Wait for the accident and death toll to start clocking up and ensure none of the people above ignore them. I've logged 6 crashes on the road so far which is well above the pre-Bend three year average.

In other news, I've just received an e-mail from Stephen Witherford this morning, the architect employed by TfL to decorate the place. He's been a voice of concern and reason throughout my dealings with him since autumn 2014, and I was sorry, in reference to me sharing news TfL are finally addressing one of his safety concerns he writes... "The corner at the LCC where the cycle lane cuts through the footway on an almost blind corner was highlighted several times as highly problematic. How these things are agreed or demanded is hard to fathom. There were a couple of other places from memory. I am not sure what to think about this temporary action and more importantly how to make an integrated design solution for the future. It is frustrating. I have not been down for a while, since before Christmas. I will try to do this over the coming days. Our current involvement on the project is non-existent with Hugo [ed: Hugo Terry, the TfL project sponsor who resigned the week The Bend opened] having left, although we have an on-going role. TfL delivery team have a different culture."

And finally, for this massive post, here's a comment from a bus driver lifted from Facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout

"I am one of those bus drivers who are constantly cut up by cars trying to take that left hook because car drivers don't think about the bus needing the room to make that stupid elephant and bend the left hook castle turn I for one want it to fail... The Bend aka Elephant and Castle Roundabout I shall apologise on that honking but it's is the safest way to warn that idiot and prevent us having an accident with them or worst an injury on our buses not just from a sitting passenger far worst a standing passenger that's not holding on to the rails provided".

jackie rokotnitz wrote:
All this simply screams .PUt BACK THIE UNDERPASES. The pedestrian crossings hold up the traffic interminably, and I have several times seen people vaulting over the barrier between the Tabernacle and the tube...I TOLD Tfl that this would happen. The entire project was misconceived, we knew it, and no one listened.
Putting it right? How exactly?
Friday 15 January 2016 7.24pm
Here's a before and after, Oct 2014 vs Dec 2015 taken from my assorted time lapse imagery.

Friday 15 January 2016 7.43pm
Ok Perretonian I'll start shouting on Monday. I am appalled that we, the residents of the E&C , knew far better than all these people who were getting paid for their "expertise", and now our only recourse is to try and get things 're-done' because it hasn't worked and we were right all along. I seem to remember that we were getting a whole lot of guff about the underpasses being used for some integrated infrastructure thingy....which seems to have been completely fabricated. And these ruddy piazzas are slippery and only good for litter and noise. I despair.
Current: 9 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions