London SE1 community website

Christmas trees at the Fruit Tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Wednesday 16 December 2015 8.20am
But the previous greengrocer also sold Christmas trees, so I'm not sure how or why there can be an objection if the new owner sells them as well.
Wednesday 16 December 2015 8.33am
The veg shop has always sold trees. The former tenant always sold trees.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 December 2015 10.57pm
Maybe the terms of the lease which was agreed to was to sell fruit & veg which personally I'm not sure a Crimbo Tree is classified as F&V. I've never eaten a Christmas Tree. I am unaware of the contract, but when signing a lease make sure you get it in writing all which you want.

Maybe the florist can start flogging fruit & veg - Terry's too.

Why not flog - funeral plans - fish & chips - fags - dry cleaning - a Brazilian permatan - haircut & key cutting..
Thursday 17 December 2015 7.51am
Or maybe the lease terms are the same as for the previous tenant?
Who knows?

Saturday 19 December 2015 9.36pm
Funny world we live in.. I guess it's a case of what would you like me to be...
Sunday 20 December 2015 6.40pm
Unsure what you mean.
I *think* that the fruit shop lease has been in the same hands for at least a year, and they were selling Xmas trees last year (and all previous years for at least the last 10 years iirc, although many of those years would have been under the previous tenants), so it seems odd that any lease-tree-problems have only surfaced in 2015.

Monday 21 December 2015 9.18am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Unsure what you mean.
I *think* that the fruit shop lease has been in the same hands for at least a year, and they were selling Xmas trees last year (and all previous years for at least the last 10 years iirc, although many of those years would have been under the previous tenants), so it seems odd that any lease-tree-problems have only surfaced in 2015.

Apparently the terms of the lease are the same as those of the previous tenants - so perhaps just this year somebody in an office in the City Guildhall got round to looking and noticed the lease didn't mention Christmas trees and issued a ban (incidentally it was AFTER the Fruit Tree had already ordered their stock of trees for this year). It's the sort of thing landlords do. Perhaps trees don't count as fruit or veg.

We were very pleased to be able to buy our tree there this year as usual - not looking forward to next year and the problem of finding a supplier of trees within walking distane.
Monday 21 December 2015 1.40pm
You can always go and choose your tree at http://www.debbiewesternflowers.co.uk/ she is outside Nisa in Rotherhithe and delivers them free in SE16 and SE1

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Monday 21 December 2015 1.47pm
John C wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Unsure what you mean.

Apparently the terms of the lease are the same as those of the previous tenants - so perhaps just this year somebody in an office in the City Guildhall got round to looking and noticed the lease didn't mention Christmas trees and issued a ban (incidentally it was AFTER the Fruit Tree had already ordered their stock of trees for this year). It's the sort of thing landlords do. Perhaps trees don't count as fruit or veg.

We were very pleased to be able to buy our tree there this year as usual - not looking forward to next year and the problem of finding a supplier of trees within walking distane.

Thanks John. That makes sense (although it does imply that the previous tenants were also not supposed to sell trees - which they definitely did).

Monday 21 December 2015 3.43pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
John C wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Unsure what you mean.

We were very pleased to be able to buy our tree there this year as usual - not looking forward to next year and the problem of finding a supplier of trees within walking distance.

Thanks John. That makes sense (although it does imply that the previous tenants were also not supposed to sell trees - which they definitely did).

Yes, that's what I meant, Ivanhoe. The present tenant and any predecessors for 20 years or so have been selling Christmas trees each year, on the surely reasonable assumption that greengrocers everywhere sell Christmas trees at Christmas-time - somebody in the Corporation of London has at last spotted 'it's not in your lease so you can't do it'. Whether it's actually prohibited in the lease is of course another matter!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions