London SE1 community website

Any thoughts about the new Housing Bill anyone?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 13 January 2016 12.36pm
There are a couple of meetings and protests coming up, and I want to go along to find out more. Radical Housing Network put together very informative events with excellent speakers. Here are the details.
I find the housing situation in London frightening, and can hardly bear to read stuff in the press. It helps to go and talk to people who know about what is happening, and what to do about it.

Saturday 16 January – Kill the Housing Bill organising meeting, 11am at offices of Unite, 128 Theobalds Rd London WC1X 8TN (near Holborn tube).

Saturday 30 January – action against the bill including a march against the Housing Bill, meeting at the Imperial War Museum (Kennington Rd/Lambeth Rd SE1 6HZ) at 12 noon and marching to David Cameron’s publicly funded home in Downing Street for 2pm.

Please help spread the word about what's happening, and let’s stop this devastating piece of legislation!
Wednesday 20 January 2016 6.15pm
Residents at Quadrant House received glossy leaflets over the past couple of days about the Voluntary Right to Buy Pilot, promising discounts for those eligible, but something stinks.
Is it that people like the residents at QH, like me, would never be able to afford to live in London in the way that we have for many years? Is it that mixed communities will disappear, leaving only glassy towers for the very rich to leave empty as investments?
Is it the social cleansing of the poorer people in our society that disgusts me? BTW this includes me too.

I am getting mad about all this, and will join the march on Saturday to Kill The Bill.

Found this in the press
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-david-cameron-plans-destroy-7167743
Wednesday 20 January 2016 11.22pm
Thursday 21 January 2016 4.04pm
Self build is mentioned in the press again today. If only I could cut in a straight line? Strikes me this could be looked at again as a possibility to sort out the housing muddle we are in.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jan/21/self-build-pioneers-walter-segal-architect-london-housing-exhibition
Thursday 21 January 2016 5.46pm
Was there not a self build successfully completed corner of Peckham hill street years ago? It had a set back when some blankety blank set fire to them..but the people did move in.
Thursday 21 January 2016 7.42pm
Wait a minute......people earning more than £100K should NOT be living in public housing.

The Housing Bill tackles this obscene loophole for the first time, ever.

The Bill also establishes a registration programme for Landlords and bans rogue landlords from renting out properties.

Finally, it forces local authorities to release public land for housing. Progressive Councils like Southwark are completely exonerated in this respect - but there are other councils out there of all political persuasions that could and should be doing more - and the Housing Bill measures are aimed at them.

Surely, all of the above provisions are to welcomed?
Thursday 21 January 2016 8.34pm
Floodplain wrote:
Wait a minute......people earning more than £100K should NOT be living in public housing.
The Housing Bill tackles this obscene loophole for the first time, ever.

The Bill also establishes a registration programme for Landlords and bans rogue landlords from renting out properties.

Finally, it forces local authorities to release public land for housing. Progressive Councils like Southwark are completely exonerated in this respect - but there are other councils out there of all political persuasions that could and should be doing more - and the Housing Bill measures are aimed at them.

Surely, all of the above provisions are to welcomed?

That is a very brief synopsis of the Bill!
Thursday 21 January 2016 9.02pm
Here are a few more points then to add to the discussion.

The Housing Bill marks the end of social housing. The Housing Bill condemns millions more to a lifetime of insecure private renting. It is a charter for estate demolitions and property speculation driving up rents and house prices.

The end of secure lifetime tenancies. Council tenancies will be for 2 to 5 years with no right to pass it on to your children.
Landlords will have access to tenant’s personal income information and if households start to earn over £40,000 (a couple on the living wage) they will be hit with a PAY-TO-STAY TAX for the difference between their social rent and the market rent – in Waterloo that would be an average of £26,000.
Local authorities will be forced to sell ‘high value’ properties whenever they come vacant – what flat in London is not high value? Housing association tenants will get the right to buy, so reducing stock further.
Private renters and Travellers to have reduced housing rights.
Developers will have to build ‘starter homes’ for sale instead of ‘affordable’ homes for rent. Starter homes will be worth up to £450,000 and sold at a 20% discount – but only to people with enough money to get that kind of a mortgage!
Friday 22 January 2016 8.13am
Good - when i married nearly 30 years ago - i was told that there was no way i would ever get a council home, i could go on the waiting list - yet would be something like 20-30 years before we were offered anything, yet the people who just sit at home on benefits and knock out kids galore, get all the nice homes [ foc [ handed to them on a plate, then the kids see how this works and do the same - and at times take over the old home, while the parents get something else, so excuse me for not giving a damn, as we had to buy by using the 50% buy/rent method and had hardly any money left each month - yet we paid our way for our home, we didnt rely on tax payers giving us a free home
Friday 22 January 2016 9.06pm
Well, I am sorry to hear this story, but people who live in social housing are not all "Wayne and Waynettas" you know. We work, pay our taxes and make our contribution to the community in which we live. The Nasty Party and Nasty Press have done a good job of painting a Nasty Picture of Nasty Stereotypes.
The Nasty Politicians are hoovering up ex council properties into their portfolios so that they can screw renters.
Let us work together for decent housing for everyone at all income levels so that we do not have to struggle to pay for a decent place to live, rented or bought. Berliners rent happily without the stigma attached to renting here, and there is not the obsession with home ownership. London is fast becoming a Nasty Place to live when we turn against one another.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions