London SE1 community website

Any thoughts about the new Housing Bill anyone?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Saturday 23 January 2016 12.10pm
My mother in law,father in law lived in pages walk in old Guinness trust flats, demolished in the sixties, she had raised four children she often remarked that after living there thirty years in two separate one bed ground floor flats. She often said that she would be carried out in a box before she left t here. She was about right, five months after moving she died. It was only after the old flats were due to be demolished. But then the BBC had a great policy , it had a waiting list that you slowly went up.then it was changed according to need. Which meant some families. With several children plus could jump the list! My husband,myself restricted our family because we too had a one room property. Only when we moved did we increase the size of our family.

And we worked Chelsea , my husband full time ,me part time . We paid our rent....bills...only help from state was from family allowance.housing benefit did not exist. Not all tenants even today are breeding machines for benefits, despite what television show! It's the eradication of social housing I find really upsetting, I have lived in London all my life, my roots, friends,family are here too. Why should a wonderful support system as social housing disappear so greedy developers can earn millions from the rate payers of Southwark?

I heard this morning from a friend who's colleague was living in a property , not Southwark , has four children her privately rented flat was by the sound of it condemned as uninhabitable. The Bromley council are offering her a temporary place in Chatham, she has children taking exams in a local school! She works in Sydenham ..
Sunday 31 January 2016 8.28pm
Listening just now to Cllr Livingstone being heckled at the recent march, "Kill The Bill" . He seems to be appealing for unity, whilst as I understand it the Southwark Labour Council seem intent on social cleansing, and selling out to developers, Lend Lease creating many totally unaffordable homes, and shipping out former residents to here there and everywhere. This is all well documented.
I am confused.
They repeat the mantra of "11,000 council homes" blah blah blah but I find myself unable to believe them
Sunday 31 January 2016 11.09pm
Unity is something Southwark Labour ought to take the lead in by virtue of example, but unfortunately they do not: when Jeremy Corbyn was elected as Labour leader, the Southwark members holding office only expressed initial customary and 'de rigueur' congratulations (through clearly fustrated gritted teeth).

In fact, most public statements about Corbyn by them were made before he became leader: they have since avoided making public posts aimed at unifying the Party under his leadership, and neither did they retract the previous exhortations against voting for him they made to those eligible to vote in the leadership poll.

To these politicians I say: follow your leader with loyalty, and only then can you expect your target electorate to follow you.

Sunday 31 January 2016 11.19pm
the '11,000 new council homes' is even less impressive when in the context of 4,275 council homes lost in the recent 'regeneration' schemes (tbh, i think the count for the aylesbury alone should be 2,402 as not a single new 'social housing' home will in fact be a council one, but rather a housing association, ie approximately 30pw more expensive) http://35percent.org/blog/2016/01/31/completing-londons-clearances/
Monday 1 February 2016 2.34pm
As an example. My partner and I live in a shared ownership property in Southwark. My partner works but I was made redundant just before Xmas.

I'm not sure that we will get the "right to buy" but the flat above ours (exactly the same layout, etc) has just sold for 675,000. It will need to be some discount!

I am wondering if it is worth looking for employment if that will take us above the 40,000 household income. The so-called market rent will eat up at least one entire salary, probably more. So, I'll be better off looking for part time, lower paid and/or irregular freelance work. Or not working at all.

The new housing law will make me homeless, jobless or having and/or having to leave London completely and starting again somewhere else. I'm 60 this year. Great prospects!
Monday 1 February 2016 3.16pm
peterroe wrote:
As an example. My partner and I live in a shared ownership property in Southwark. My partner works but I was made redundant just before Xmas.
I'm not sure that we will get the "right to buy" but the flat above ours (exactly the same layout, etc) has just sold for 675,000. It will need to be some discount!

I am wondering if it is worth looking for employment if that will take us above the 40,000 household income. The so-called market rent will eat up at least one entire salary, probably more. So, I'll be better off looking for part time, lower paid and/or irregular freelance work. Or not working at all.

The new housing law will make me homeless, jobless or having and/or having to leave London completely and starting again somewhere else. I'm 60 this year. Great prospects!

There doesn't appear to be any scale...40k and you pay "market rent"...its seams a little harsh. 40k is far too low a threshold. A gradual increase might work better. i.e. 40k pay rent + 20%, 45K rent + 30% for example. Making me pay full market rent isn't going to "encourage" me to buy, I don't have a spare 400k!
Monday 1 February 2016 4.49pm
It's true!

I personally know dozens of people in council housing who earn a hundred grand plus. The rest have massive TVs and fly off to Spain for xmas on my taxes. I work like a dog while feckless scroungers sprout feckless sprogs like rabbits who repeatedly beg Jeremy Kyle for help to get off the smack which the doctor gives them for free anyway. Makes my blood boil! They all drive jags! Don't get me started on the housing association lot. Their kids go to school! It's well known. God bless the Queen!
Monday 1 February 2016 6.24pm
There needs to be some form of assessment, because it sure is true there are cases who lucked out on the Social housing lottery and who could certainly afford private rent. A brutal cutoff at an arbitrary level low level like 40K is counterproductive though as this will just disincentivice working. The threshold needs to be set at a level, where the loss of income outweighs the gain from cheap living.

At the same time there is not enough done for lower paid so called middle class jobs like Nurses, public servants, teachers etc.

It does not work to have central London housing only for the unemployed and rich. E.g. currently you have the highest chances to live somewhere central if you are unemployed mother with kids, even though this person doesnt really need to be central. I may be biased because I had a happy youth on the countryside, but I think you can offer kids a better life there than in small council flat in SE1.
Monday 1 February 2016 6.26pm
"Nurse, he (PhilipW) is out of bed again"

These stereotypes add nothing to the discussion.
We need a range of housing options, and what we have is ridiculous extremes, and the Nasty Party in government encouraging us to turn on one another rather than turn on them for their vile housing policy which will do nothing to solve our housing crisis.
Monday 1 February 2016 9.08pm
My nurse gave me this note to pass on:

"Dear JazzyQ

You are correct, PhilipW did get out of bed earlier today.

"Having conducted a quick straw poll around the ward I can report even our most challenging customers, severely detached from reality by choice, confinement and strong antipsychotics, recognise a rant which includes outrage that children attend school should not be taken at face value.

"Tommy from bed 5 is saying it surely reflects on any place where such hate filled ravings are not out of place. He's asking if anyone has mentioned Bob Crow yet?"
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions