London SE1 community website

Any thoughts about the new Housing Bill anyone?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Tuesday 2 February 2016 8.30pm
I think it is important to take note of the fact that the means testing of council tenants will only apply to those who receive their tenancy after the bill is passed: those who are already council tenants will not be affected.

Having said this, I think this bill is a shameful disgrace, and hope it will be rejected by MPs and Lords.
Saturday 6 February 2016 2.42pm
Jules62 wrote:
I think it is important to take note of the fact that the means testing of council tenants will only apply to those who receive their tenancy after the bill is passed

I don't think this is true. Where you get this?

Pay-To-Stay will see households with a combined income over £40,000 paying 80% market rent (£50,000+ will pay 100%). Around here two workers on a living wage (eg nurses) may be expected to pay 85%+ of their net income on rent. Obviously impossible. They cannot afford to buy either (even with the discount). Families will be forced from their homes.
Saturday 6 February 2016 8.56pm
"Families will be forced from their homes"

Exactly.

Speculators and investors will clean up, London will be a ghost town of glassy developments, empty offices and apartments.

So let's do what we can to Kill the Bill, and make London a better place for all of us, not just a dirty money bank for the greedy few.
Sunday 7 February 2016 12.32pm
The solutions to the housing crises are not complicated. Here's a revealing observation:

In NYC a £10m property is charged £100,000pa tax. In Westminster it is £1,000.

Friday 19 February 2016 12.15am
From what I can read, the bill will severely disrupt and damage our communities in the estates in our area and force some people out or force them to stop working (pay to stay), while also forcing the council to sell off all properties that become vacant in our area (North Southwark). It doesn't allow organizations that can afford to provide housing at social rents the liberty to do this, in fact forcing them to cut rents and sell, while encouraging private landlords. The bill is apparently now in House of Lords, so if any readers know Lords (or are Lords) it would be good to voice your views for some amendments. What is next SE1 or local action to protest the bill?
Friday 19 February 2016 9.38am
This is coming up

Sunday 13 March - NATIONAL MARCH FOR HOMES AND AGAINST THE HOUSING BILL. Meeting at noon at Lincolnís Inn Fields, WC2A 3TL.
Friday 19 February 2016 1.07pm
PhilipW wrote:
The solutions to the housing crises are not complicated. Here's a revealing observation:
In NYC a £10m property is charged £100,000pa tax. In Westminster it is £1,000.

Which serves to remind us how high the Council Tax is in Southwark! As a Band B I'd save nearly a thousand pounds.
Friday 19 February 2016 2.07pm
If anyone has evidence of how they or others will be affected by the Bill, please post it on here or send a PM, and I can send it to someone preparing to speak in the Lords debate.
Wednesday 2 March 2016 8.11am
I wondered why my new rent had reduced by One Pound a week, I think I would be happier if it increased by five pounds a week so people could stay in the area where they have lived all their lives, raised a family , worked all their lives, had the same doctor surgery, had treatment at the same hospital, all friends and familiar places...And lastly not least an Area where they have loved and lost, an Area where they belong and Love.

Sorry got carried away there!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions