London SE1 community website

Cafes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 10 April 2016 8.54pm
I recommend Maries Cafe for the food, extremely good and very reasonably priced and the chips are exceptional, but the tea is awful, truly awful. T o see more loose tea added to the vast aluminium pot and more on-stream boiling water added to the already stewed tea leaves with the pot never seemingly emptied makes me shudder every time I use the place
Tuesday 12 April 2016 1.10pm
This method of tea stewing may have been learned from my mother-in-law's kitchen. It's truly appalling. TEA BAGS, dear.Use tea bags.Please. She must have done this on purpose as these days I never allow her to 'spoil' us .
Tuesday 12 April 2016 10.29pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
I recommend Maries Cafe for the food, extremely good and very reasonably priced and the chips are exceptional, but the tea is awful, truly awful. T o see more loose tea added to the vast aluminium pot and more on-stream boiling water added to the already stewed tea leaves with the pot never seemingly emptied makes me shudder every time I use the place

I just shudder at the word tea, the smell alone makes me nauseous.
My old mum drunk the stuff, but my dad would say, "Don't give that poison to me or the boy, Edie, I was brought up in a respectable house in Newington Causeway, and if I can't have coffee, I'll have water, and so will he, until he's old enough to make his own choice."
He wasn't a bad judge my old man, that tea stuff has never passed my lips.
He didn't drink beer either, preferring whisky, I veered off there a tad, I can't tell real ale or Mexican cerveza from each another, but I give my liver a liberal coating of vodka.
Wednesday 13 April 2016 11.00am
Tom, how could you not drink tea in favour of our American cousins' preference for coffee?
I am still to forgive them for the contretemps in 1773.
Don't diss tea until you've tried it.
Wednesday 13 April 2016 10.35pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Tom, how could you not drink tea in favour of our American cousins' preference for coffee?
I am still to forgive them for the contretemps in 1773.
Don't diss tea until you've tried it.

bunhouse, report me as a dissident traitor if you wish, but had I been around in Culpeper, VA in 1775, I would have enlisted as a Virginia Minuteman, and followed Colonel Taliaferro in kicking the Limeys out of America.
'No taxation without representation', and after The Tea Act of 1773, just put up a pot of coffee from the Indies, and dump their goddam tea in Boston Harbo(u)r!
While engrossed in The Times one day, I groped for what I thought was my coffee on a café table, and mistakenly picked up someone's tea.
I spat it on to the floor, had to apologise to the café staff, and buy the misguided wretch whose tea it was, a new cup.
I've tried it, albeit involuntarily, it's evil, I'll diss it to High Heaven.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions