London SE1 community website

Travellers in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 4 February 2016 9.16pm
In the mid-eighties, a group of travellers moved around the Bermondsey area. From the Bethel Estate (now City Hall) to the Bricklayer's Arms, any flat piece of land was occupied, turned into a rubbish tip by fly-tipping and when the squalor of soiled nappies, food waste and broken glass became intolerable, abandoned. The reason any grassed area of council land that wasn't sold off, is now landscaped is to prevent access to caravans!
While everyone has the right to live their life the way they wish, it should not be to the detriment of others. We all have a responsibility to our neighbours.
Friday 5 February 2016 9.50am
I can assure you that I can witness the occupiers of the Rich Industrial Estate are now fly-tipping on site and stripping the buildings of anything of value. That is theft and also vandalism and no political correctness can explain that away.
Friday 5 February 2016 10.28am
Jerry wrote:
I can assure you that I can witness the occupiers of the Rich Industrial Estate are now fly-tipping on site and stripping the buildings of anything of value. That is theft and also vandalism and no political correctness can explain that away.

Agreed.
Friday 5 February 2016 3.38pm
Jerry wrote:

Careful Jerry, you are risking a visit from the anti racial discrimination police.
Telling it how it is will culminate in a booking, or maybe a sending off!
Friday 5 February 2016 4.12pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Agreed.

I agree too.

Jerry, have you reported these crimes to the police?
Friday 5 February 2016 4.26pm
Debrajoan wrote:
Careful Jerry, you are risking a visit from the anti racial discrimination police.
As you know very well Debrajoan, there's no such body as the "anti racial discrimination police".
"Telling it how it is" is a good thing.
Making all members of a community out to be criminals because
(a) someone you know has had their car tampered with and
(b) some members of that community live nearby
... is in no sense "telling it how it is".
Friday 5 February 2016 5.47pm
I believe the police are aware of all that is going on but the timidity of law makers in dealing with these kind of issues renders the situation graver as every day passes. The build up of rubbish is particularly distressing, the fire brigade have just been to deal with a fire on one of the new rubbish piles already. Ironic since these "travellers" do not pay any rates to maintain the fire service...
Friday 5 February 2016 6.00pm
Jerry wrote:
I believe the police are aware...
Jerry, you stated that you had personally witnessed crimes being committed. If so, you should report the facts to the police. Then, we could all be certain that the police are aware rather than assuming so.

Jerry wrote:
...the timidity of local politicians in dealing with these kind of issues renders the situation graver as every day passes.
What specifically would you want the local politicians to do? Criminal behaviour is a police matter, whilst the occupation of the site is a matter for the site owners.
Friday 5 February 2016 6.11pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
Jerry wrote:
I believe the police are aware...
Jerry, you stated that you had personally witnessed crimes being committed. If so, you should report the facts to the police. Then, we could all be certain that the police are aware rather than assuming so.
Someone else has already reported it.
Jerry wrote:
...the timidity of local politicians in dealing with these kind of issues renders the situation graver as every day passes.
What specifically would you want the local politicians to do? Criminal behaviour is a police matter, whilst the occupation of the site is a matter for the site owners.

Specifically the council can also make a huge difference. They have the following powers if they choose to use them swiftly. The following quote from the Department for Communities and Local Government:

"Councils should be ready to take swift enforcement action and use the tough powers available to tackle rogue encampments and sites. Powers that can be used include:

More powerful temporary stop notices to stop and remove unauthorised caravans
Pre-emptive injunctions that protect vulnerable land in advance from unauthorised encampments
Possession orders to remove trespassers from land
Police powers to order unauthorised campers to leave land
Powers of entry on to land so authorised officers can obtain information for enforcement purposes
Demand for further information on planning works to determine whether any breach of the rules has taken place
Enforcement notices to remedy any planning breaches
Ensuring sites have valid caravan or tent site licences"

"The summary of legal powers sent direct to all council leaders and published online shows how councils can act quickly. It sets out the robust powers councils and landowners now have to remove unauthorised traveller sites, protest camps and squatters from both public and private land, as well as tackling the mess from such sites. Councils merely need the political will to uphold the law"
Friday 5 February 2016 6.12pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:
As you know very well Debrajoan, there's no such body as the "anti racial discrimination police".
"Telling it how it is" is a good thing.
Making all members of a community out to be criminals because
(a) someone you know has had their car tampered with and
(b) some members of that community live nearby
... is in no sense "telling it how it is".

My mention of 'anti race discrimination police' was flippant, I'll give you that.
I did infer that my brother felt that the community of travellers in Gervase St. were likely to have been responsible for the attempted break-ins of my sister-in-law's car, I feel that it's likely too, although it hasn't been proven, but I'm not making all travellers out to be criminals.
I bow to no one in my general dislike of them, I feel uncomfortable if they are near.
When I said 'telling it how it is' I was referring to Jerry's assurance of the fly tipping, and stripping of anything of value in the buildings of The Rich Industrial Estate.
Let this not descend into a war of words, you appear to wish to defend, or champion the travellers, that is your prerogative, I dislike them, that is mine.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions