London SE1 community website

New kitchens or bathrooms, only if you are on the list

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Wednesday 17 February 2016 10.59am
It's certainly not free at Chez Draper.
Council Housing has paid its own way since the 1980s.
Wednesday 17 February 2016 11.14am
Sorry Graham - I was only winding youup/pulling your leg

If the various councils had not sold off millions of homes, then maybe when i got married 30 years ago - I would had stood a chance of a council home instead of having to bloody buy one - suppose the good thing is that i can always sell at an inflated price and move to the coast when i retire
Wednesday 17 February 2016 12.39pm
chelsea190512 wrote:
If the various councils had not sold off millions of homes, then maybe when i got married 30 years ago - I would had stood a chance of a council home instead of having to bloody buy one

If you had the money to 'bloody buy one', why should you have 'stood a chance of [getting] a council home'? They are for people in need, not for people who just don't want to have to pay for anything.
Wednesday 17 February 2016 1.09pm
Well the reason i brought a home is pretty clear to most - let me enlighten you, its because there was no way i would get one from the council - when we went on the list, they said it would be 10 years at least before we were offered anything - if you read my reply to Graham - i clearly stated that my 1st post was a leg pull
Wednesday 17 February 2016 5.12pm
chelsea190512 wrote:
Well the reason i brought a home is pretty clear to most - let me enlighten you, its because there was no way i would get one from the council - when we went on the list, they said it would be 10 years at least before we were offered anything - if you read my reply to Graham - i clearly stated that my 1st post was a leg pull

So... although you could afford one, you went on the list anyway because you would prefer to take a hand-out rather than paying for it yourself? (even though it would mean 1 less property for those actually in need)

I'm not sure whether you are really that selfish or just a troll having a laugh... but if your 1st post was a genuine attempt at humour it really missed its mark.
Wednesday 17 February 2016 5.53pm
Well said David S.

For anyone who is not aware, not all Council tenants in SE1 are getting the upgrades anyway.

I just wonder if the home 'Chelsea' bought was indeed a Council home? Thus contributing to the shortage of affordable Council housing!

For the record, not all Council tenants are scroungers. I work and would love to be able to afford to buy my own home, but on a wage of 8.50 an hour that's never going to happen.
jpm
Wednesday 17 February 2016 6.27pm
Moving this conversation back to where it started....

The money to pay for refurbishment of council tenant's homes comes from the rent that they pay. (Back in the 80s the Government put a 'ring fence' on housing money so the only the housing budget can be used for housing).

So while the Government's requirement on councils to give tenants a 1% rent cut reduces what tenants pay (and the Government's housing benefit bill) it also cuts the money to be spent on refurbishment - so people end up waiting longer to have work done in their homes....

simple as, really
Zoe
Wednesday 17 February 2016 8.27pm
The Housing Revenue Account is totally self funding, all it's money comes from tenants and leaseholders rents and service charges and it's hardly outrageous that the money is therefore spent on tenants and leaseholders properties.

It's not free, there is just no profit element in council properties so rents are fair.
Wednesday 17 February 2016 9.29pm
I brought a home otherwise we would have to live with the in laws for ever - so how the hell was i going to take a home from someone in need and seeing that i had 13 a month left after paying out everything when interest rates were 15% - i would say i was need, what else did you expect me to do, live with the in laws forever
Wednesday 17 February 2016 9.31pm
and how the hell would i be able to buy a council home when i was about 1 years away on a list - i bought a 50% buy 50% rent - so dont say im depriving anyone
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions