London SE1 community website

New kitchens or bathrooms, only if you are on the list

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Friday 19 February 2016 4.32pm
Hi Ladywriter,

I read your posts and thought thank goodness for a person who sees things from my point of view!

We had internal rewiring done at the end of 2014 by a really shoddy company the council provided. As you say, the council decides who to employ and we have no say.

I too would like to own my own property but as I've previously said I don't earn enough to do this. I'm also on a zero hours contract, thus I would never qualify for a mortgage. I live with family because it's all l can afford.

We have never had any upgrade to our kitchen from the council, even though we had to install our own cupboards when we moved in. The flat had been vandalised by squatters and had most of the internal doors removed too.

So you see, Council tenants don't have it easy. We pay rent for often substandard properties, and on many occasions add to the value of the property by doing our own repairs.
Friday 19 February 2016 7.58pm
Hi Sookysoo

I agree, this flat was filthy when we viewed it, but its close to everywhere, shops station and so easy to get to places. But when we first saw it we thought, mmm, this is gonna cost a lot of money to do up. The walls were even filthy as well. There were no kitchen cupboards, oh we still have the lumps in the bathroom, the flat is nice since we did it up but it took a lot of money to do place up. but yeah I agree not everyone can afford to buy a place.

We share a main security door with other tenants in the block. One of them below is a trouble maker and watches us come and go out of block as we have to pass his door to get to ours so there is lacking in privacy. They do put up our rent every year and we also pay for service charges on top of rent as well. We could never afford a private rented flat either some of them cost more then a mortgage.

I sent complaints over a year to the council about having new windows as there were things growing out of the old windows we had in this flat, because of my persistence and I am not one to give up we eventually got all new windows via a private contractor and he was very very good. Not like this """" keepmoat we got now doing it all. We told them we got new windows so just could do with new door only as this is what they offer in our estate, thats it, they already mucked up our electrics last year we dont need a repeat performance. I dont know why they are going to mess about with our outside electrics on our blocks as there is nothing wrong with it.

Lady who live opposite had scaffold up 3 weeks now and nothing has been done with their houses and I believe it costs the council a lot every day to rent that scaffold out to have it hang there.

Residents have no say. if you had of seen the anger last year at our meeting in hall. over 50 tenants with damages to property. the top council man was there and keepmoat and other members. They dont listen to us nor do they care, they use the cheapest company. They even renewed their contract I found info on it.

The company trunked all over our decorating in the kitchen on the slim wooden panels my husband put up rather then running the wiring through the walls, so if we re-decorate now we would have to pull down the trunking to get the panels off to re-decorate, and council say, dont touch the electrics, so then we can never re-decorate now then without taking it all down the trunking and electrics inside it. What idiot runs electrics on outside wall along someones decoration internally.

Most people would love to buy a house then its yours. But we cant all do this, even banks wont even accept anyone, it depends on your finances, and what you earn and background if you had debts. Most people now play with their flexible friend the credit card and end up in debts.
Friday 19 February 2016 8.52pm
ok we get the message
Friday 19 February 2016 10.01pm
Our major works were so badly managed we got on BBC TV news:
Now the council gives us awards.
Friday 19 February 2016 10.03pm
I'm not sure we do get the message, Chelsea. As someone whose property will be subject to major works in the coming weeks, I am finding the experiences shared by Sookysoo, Ladywriter and others to be helpful in informing the approach to be taken, i.e. being upfront and telling them no trunking is allowed.

What a liberty that they put trunking in someone's kitchen, ruining their decoration and hard work in a flash. They wouldn't want it in their own home, so why do it to someone else?

This thread is about new kitchens and bathrooms (or the lack thereof) and the experiences shared are bang on point.
Saturday 20 February 2016 8.19am
Then that is a liberty and I do feel sorry for people who have to put up with this, appears that when renting nowdays from housing assoc, they think they can just ride all over you and treat you like dirt, also feel sorry for people on low salary and zero hours contracts.
Saturday 20 February 2016 9.19am
Hi Gavin Smith

The company who did our rewiring is called Murphys. They did the whole of the Nelson Square area, where I live, and others in SE1. We too have unsightly trunking all over the flat.

If you have the same company just make sure you have removed every breakable item and put dust sheets down because they are not really concerned with people's property or belongings!
Saturday 20 February 2016 11.14am
My only real gripe is when they replaced the radiators which incidentally are crap ( the old ones took longer t o heat, but stayed hotter for longer) they ran a copper tube down from first floor which was an inch or two from hall light switch, apart from being ugly as when you put your hand up to put the light on the inside of your wrist got burnt on hot pipe. I instantly complained to works manager, he came round agreed and I had trunking straight away! No way would I have put up with that. If you had young children they would have got burnt. It helps if they give tenants mobile phone numbers for senior staff who are working on the job.
Sunday 21 February 2016 7.52pm
chelsea190512. ok we get the message!

The problem is, residents are not listened to. So No, the message has not been gotten.

People are entitled to say how they feel on here about their situations. Regardless of what position or situation they are in. Whether council tenants, private, lease hold or freehold owners. I do not judge any as we all have various situations we have to go through or put up with.

But was just putting my points across about tenants and to simply say, its not all roses and rainbows at the end of it as others may assume.

People are simply fed up and sick and tired of being treated like sheep that have no voice.

My friends niece who lives on the four squares, they have had scaffold up over 4 years, she said she has no privacy in her own home and its very dark inside. Plus you have to consider how much this is costing the council to have this up daily as well, yet councils moan about lack of money...
Sunday 21 February 2016 7.55pm
When they keepmoat had finished here we had paint stuck into our carpet. and they broke our bin. I was very nervous when they pulled the gas oven out, I was saying are you qualified with gas to mess around with it. Then a week later an electrician and gas guy came and said they had not done it correctly behind our cooker and they had also lost the chain key on our cooker as well which is the safety chain. Keepmoat are the pits.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions