London SE1 community website

New kitchens or bathrooms, only if you are on the list

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Monday 22 February 2016 5.58pm
oh also read that keepmoat our area its called a "pilot scheme" which means experimental, I guess that means if they "again" mess up our blocks they will pull the contract from them, as a friend of mine who lives old kent road her blocks have not been touched. They went there and looked over them she told me then left them alone. They said to her, your blocks are to good to be messed with we dont want to damage them as to some other areas this has happened.. I mean, bleeding cheek of them. I appreciate some people in these blocks need new windows, but is it going to take them 4 years to do it. As we had a contractor do ours in a day from inside when I complained to council and mp as things were growing out of our old windows which was a couple of years ago. He was very good as well. Told keepmoat we dont need new windows again as they are the same as what they offer, I think ours are actually better. They told me they still have to measure them and check, WTF. I said to keepmoat your just wasting money. We dont want our new windows knocked out and you put in exactly same ones again.
Monday 22 February 2016 6.42pm
Hi Sookysoo

I think a lot of us seem to forget also the services charges we pay on top of our rent. It does not come out of our rent at all, we simply end up paying more on top which is added to our rent. Which takes our rents up higher. And some of those services are costly to.

Our services charges are for our communal garden cutting of grass which I accept as if we had own garden would have to do ourselves. We also have to pay as well for the main security door we all use in our block which is part of the council building and dont see why we should. We pay extra on top for that main door every single week. And also service charges for cleaner in our block once a week which to be honest we dont really need, we can do that ourselves and most residents keep their areas tidy anyway.

When I asked the cleaner to reach up high on the ceiling to clean away cobwebs on a high ceiling on our block, he informed me that he could not do this because his broom is not long enough, and southwark wont supply him with a longer broom. So in the end we just end up having to climb up there and do it ourselves, so we are paying for cleaners why exactly? I thought it was a bad joke with the trigger joke from the show "only fools n horses" when he said that about the broom.

Each service charge for cleaner, grass cutting, main entrance door renting, are all separated on our bill. Itemised listing for everything. I guess others here are also paying service charges on top of rents to.

So these extra's are not included in our rents they are put on top of our rents. You get nothing in this world really...of course we got water rates and heating which also added on top to rents but that part is probably cheaper in long run then paying separate bills for those two.
Monday 22 February 2016 7.06pm
Some internal repairs are not covered by council, like fitting of toilet seats is down to residents to go out and buy and fit yourself. Which is fine if you are in good health, but not if you are disabled, elderly or in poor health. My neighbours internal door hinges broke and the door fell and got damaged and the council suggested she go out and buy a new door and put it on herself, she is 80 years old.
Monday 22 February 2016 7.17pm
chelsea190512

Water coming through, yep know how that feels, its awful. we had it twice here, the tanks above us in attic as we on first floor, they leaked twice and poured through our ceiling kitchen onto our electrics and down our walls, it took them months on end to fix those tanks, they would bang as well and I would be nervouse in case of another bad leak as well and was always looking up at our kitchen ceiling.

I eventually managed to get compensation from council for the damage from flood to our kitchen ceiling and walls and decoration, but it took a while. It wasnt much money but better then nothing and making a point that they cant just treat us like dirt and again leave us with all the cost of decorating which we could not afford when it was due to lack of attention at fixing the tanks.

And then a year later keepmoat came along and damaged it all over again. three times we had to decorate the kitchen. And then they trunked it, ho hum.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions