London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Closure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Friday 3 June 2016 12.47pm
kevinruairi wrote:
I don't care. Looking forward to a nice quiet TBR for a while

If there's any justice for your schadenfreude, British Gas will start a 3 month excavation outside your house!
Wednesday 8 June 2016 9.36am
The thing is, the bridge might need the repairs but why does everything have to be done all at the same time? Between the Cycle "Superhighway", the neverending refurb of London Bridge and Crossrail this city has been torn up for years now. You can't get to anyplace without a detour. Now you cant go down Tooley street for 2 years is it? It just seems that it's too much all happening at exactly the same time. I tell people not to visit here as it's just an absolute mess at the moment. Blocking Tower Bridge and diverting the northbound traffic over London Bridge is just going to be 3 months of more pain that we have to deal with every day.

Also I would imagine that the work is starting in October so it doesn't interfere with the height of tourist season? Shows you what and who is really important in this town.

BTW, if this city is always crying poverty, where is the money coming from for these huge projects and why isn't put into things like housing people who have no homes. Millions on the Cycle Superhighway and people are literally sleeping in the streets.
Wednesday 8 June 2016 10.55am
lynnys wrote:
Also I would imagine that the work is starting in October so it doesn't interfere with the height of tourist season? Shows you what and who is really important in this town.

It's partly because of the legal obligation to allow large vessels to pass through the bridge.

This is what the City of London said last year, as quoted in our news story.

"The bascules will be maintained as operable to river traffic at 24 hours' notice, in order to meet our obligations under Act of Parliament.

"The programmed date for October to December 2016 coincides with those months of the year that the bascules are typically least lifted hence limiting disruption to both river traffic and the construction works to maintain the bridge."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 8 June 2016 7.41pm
lynnys wrote:
Millions on the Cycle Superhighway and people are literally sleeping in the streets.

Ludicrous argument. Why are you focusing just on the cycle superhighway? Many millions more are spent on road construction and maintenance FOR CARS every year. And the two things are nowhere near each other.

3 months more of pain? Just ride a bike and you're sorted, you don't have to sit in the traffic jam.
Wednesday 8 June 2016 8.43pm
Kevinruairi wrote:
3 months more of pain? Just ride a bike and you're sorted, you don't have to sit in the traffic jam.

No good if your livelihood or business relies on being able to make reasonable progress through traffic. Not everyone has the choice of jumping on a bike. Vehicular traffic is a necessary evil for us all, even the non-drivers.
Wednesday 8 June 2016 9.20pm
In better news, the Shad Thames residents association have told me that during the closure of the bridge TfL plan to install a proper pedestrian crossing between Sainsbury's/The Draft House on TBR. It's a terrible place to cross, especially in the evenings where a gap in the northbound traffic is rare and you almost have to take your life into your own hands to get to the other side of the street.
Thursday 9 June 2016 8.25am
lynnys wrote:
The thing is, the bridge might need the repairs but why does everything have to be done all at the same time? Between the Cycle "Superhighway", the neverending refurb of London Bridge and Crossrail this city has been torn up for years now. You can't get to anyplace without a detour. Now you cant go down Tooley street for 2 years is it? It just seems that it's too much all happening at exactly the same time. I tell people not to visit here as it's just an absolute mess at the moment. Blocking Tower Bridge and diverting the northbound traffic over London Bridge is just going to be 3 months of more pain that we have to deal with every day.
The Cycle Superhighway works should be finished well before this closure starts.
lynnys wrote:
It's scheduled to avoid the worst of the large river traffic and because traffic flows are lower in winter. Doing it in summer would be even worse as more traffic would be diverted.
lynnys wrote:
BTW, if this city is always crying poverty, where is the money coming from for these huge projects and why isn't put into things like housing people who have no homes. Millions on the Cycle Superhighway and people are literally sleeping in the streets.
The refurb of Tower Bridge is being paid for by City of London privately, no taxpayer money or GLA budget involved.
Thursday 9 June 2016 9.00am
kevinruairi wrote:
lynnys wrote:
Millions on the Cycle Superhighway and people are literally sleeping in the streets.

Ludicrous argument. Why are you focusing just on the cycle superhighway? Many millions more are spent on road construction and maintenance FOR CARS every year. And the two things are nowhere near each other.

Actually if you had bothered to read my entire message you would have known that my reference to the Cycle Superhighway was just one issue that I had.

Your response, unfortunately is rather ridiculous. My personal problem with a lot of people who ride bikes is that they seem to think that they own the roads, don't have to obey any traffic rules and can do what they want. There have been a number of times when I have seen people on bicycles going through red, not amber but red, lights, going through zebra crossings when people are on them and almost hit people and just ride on without a care. Cars are always to blame for accidents, it's never the bicyclist's fault.

Anyway, if you can to think about any one other than yourself, you will know that not everyone can ride a bike. Or want to ride a bike. Many people don't know how to and if they did they wouldn't want to ride them in a city as busy as London. There are some older people, disabled people, people with children, etc. etc. who need to take public transport - buses - to get around. Bike riding might suit you but there really are other people in this world who need other means of getting around. Believe it or not!
Thursday 9 June 2016 5.59pm
lynnys wrote:
... they seem to think that they own the roads, don't have to obey any traffic rules and can do what they want ... going through red, not amber but red, lights, going through zebra crossings ... almost hit people and just ride on without a care...
*sigh* there goes yet another thread
Friday 10 June 2016 3.19pm
James Hatts wrote:
lynnys wrote:

It's partly because of the legal obligation to allow large vessels to pass through the bridge.

This is what the City of London said last year, as quoted in our news story.

"The bascules will be maintained as operable to river traffic at 24 hours' notice, in order to meet our obligations under Act of Parliament.

"The programmed date for October to December 2016 coincides with those months of the year that the bascules are typically least lifted hence limiting disruption to both river traffic and the construction works to maintain the bridge."

As someone who has lived close to TB for over 10 years, and regularly walks across it, I should point out that much of what is in the press release needs to be read with a pinch of salt:

- most of the river traffic ('requiring' bascule lifts) consists of pleasure/tourist craft (include the thames barges in this category). There are more pleasure craft in the summer season. The USP of these craft is the bridge lift. The Thames barges could easily pass under with their masts lowered (this is what they were designed to do).

To continue the theme, I doubt whether 1 in 1000 bridge lifts is for a genuine commercial (excluding leisure craft) or official or military purpose. The Act of Parliament is outdated and needs to be revised
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions