London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Closure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 13 June 2016 12.56pm
stxmld wrote:
As someone who has lived close to TB for over 10 years, and regularly walks across it, I should point out that much of what is in the press release needs to be read with a pinch of salt:

- most of the river traffic ('requiring' bascule lifts) consists of pleasure/tourist craft (include the thames barges in this category). There are more pleasure craft in the summer season. The USP of these craft is the bridge lift. The Thames barges could easily pass under with their masts lowered (this is what they were designed to do).

To continue the theme, I doubt whether 1 in 1000 bridge lifts is for a genuine commercial (excluding leisure craft) or official or military purpose. The Act of Parliament is outdated and needs to be revised
Whilst I tend to agree, it is not in TfL or CoL's power to change the Act of Parliament, and certainly not even to appeal it at this kind of notice.
Wednesday 22 June 2016 8.14pm
At Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council tonight a TfL rep claimed that the Tower Bridge closure won't have a significant impact on traffic in Bermondsey.

It's fair to say that councillors and public alike were sceptical.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 22 June 2016 8.47pm
Wonder where the TFL man lives...bet it's not in Bermondsey ..
Thursday 23 June 2016 1.53pm
Is the congestion charge still going to apply on London Bridge?
Thursday 23 June 2016 1.58pm
Northbound motorists will be diverted via Great Dover Street, Borough High Street and London Bridge

Southbound motorists will be diverted via Southwark Bridge, Southwark Bridge Road, Marshalsea Road and Great Dover Street

Drivers will not be liable for the congestion charge if they follow the signed diversion routes

Thursday 23 June 2016 2.35pm
If anything happens in the Blackwall things will get fraught. Remember 97?
Tuesday 23 August 2016 1.48pm
The three weekends when Tower Bridge will be shut to pedestrians have been announced:

Saturday 26 to Sunday 27 November
Saturday 3 to Sunday 4 December
Saturday 10 to Sunday 11 December

Tuesday 23 August 2016 6.44pm
one word "mayhem"
Tuesday 23 August 2016 6.45pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
richard_badger wrote:
It looks like the bridge will just be closed to vehicles, not pedestrians, this time round. That sounds great! bbc.in/1TZ3oIe

Yes, for you I guess, but how about if you run a one man transport business, regularly delivering heavy materials from your premises at Bricklayers Arms, to Shoreditch or Whitechapel?
I don't by the way, and I'm not for one minute going against the proposed repairs to the bridge, just pointing out that not everyone will be ecstatic about it.
e.g. I live in Rotherhithe, and due to the 24 hour bus lane, Jamaica Road toward the tunnel is regularly backed up as far as Dockhead.
When the bridge closes, I envisage it being backed up as far as Borough High Street.

Hi there

I live in Bermondsey near to Jamaica road and yeah its always pretty much backed up for a long way from one end to other at times.
Sunday 11 September 2016 9.07pm
Someone from TfL is coming to talk about the impact of the Tower Bridge closure at Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council on Tuesday evening.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions