London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Closure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Wednesday 14 September 2016 11.11pm
Does anyone know if the proposed pedestrian crossing at Tower Bridge Road and Queen Elizabeth Street is going ahead next month?
Thursday 15 September 2016 11.19am
At community council on Tuesday the man from TfL indicated that the works at the QE Street junction would indeed be carried out during the three-month bridge closure

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 10 October 2016 6.38am
I couldn't believe TfL's reported statement that congestion is not as bad as they expected. I dread to think what sort of congestion they were expecting if it was worse than this. On Saturday evening I came back from a two week holiday in Italy. I live in St Katharine Docks. Because of the 'planned engineering works' on the District Line I got out at Westminster at around 21:20 to get a taxi. Within about 100 yards eastbound on the Embankment we hit stationary traffic which my taxi driver said was bcuase of the Tower Bridge closure! After taking various detours through the City I got home around 22:00. A journey that should have taken about 10 minutes at that time on a Saturday night took 40. Heaven knows what it's like during weekday working hours!
Monday 10 October 2016 7.28am
As TFL stated they did not anticipate the closure would make a lot of difference they are not being consistent. In any event it is causing major problems for local business and residents in what was already an highly congested area with all the road works going on and Rotherhithe Tunnel causing great difficulties. We all know London is highly congested but TFL clearly don't have a grip on it. Look what they have done at the Elephant after 10 years of planning.
Monday 10 October 2016 8.23am
The traffic outside our flat as a resullt of Tower Bridge closure is just awful. It is bumper to bumper from morning till night. As the traffic is lined up we hear all the thumping car radios, roaring engines from the buses and beeping horns etc. The pollution is terrible. Makes my blood boill when I hear tfl representatives anticipate that this closure would have little impact on traffic etc.
I have tried complaining to tfl via the website but get no response whatsoever. Does anyboby have any other contact details for tfl?
Monday 10 October 2016 2.10pm
TFL exists to coordinate transport and despite this they seemingly made ZERO effort to liaise with boroughs such as Southwark prior to the closure.

Why have no interim traffic orders been issued... they had months to red-route the bypass roads and install box junctions at key points. Yet did nothing!
Wednesday 12 October 2016 4.12pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
TFL exists to coordinate transport and despite this they seemingly made ZERO effort to liaise with boroughs such as Southwark prior to the closure.
Why have no interim traffic orders been issued... they had months to red-route the bypass roads and install box junctions at key points. Yet did nothing!

jonny,
As a retired "black cab" driver, I can tell you that in the overwhelming opinion of we drivers, we were cast iron sure that TFL had an office high up in the Palestra building in Blackfriars Road, where once per month a bunch of suits would gather around a table and brainstorm, "How can we REALLY screw up the traffic?, I know, let's pedestrianise Borough High Street, and make Westminster Bridge cycles only, all in favour raise your hands."

I digress, back to TBR, living as I do in Rotherhithe, close to the tunnel, we feel virtually marooned at the moment.
Only a dedicated masochist would drive anywhere which involved using Jamaica Road northbound, in fact you'd have to have masochistical tendencies to drive anywhere in London these days.
When my wife or I wish to visit Surrey Quays for the weekly shop, we drive along Brunel to Salter, then right toward Bacon School, coming out by Canada Water bus depot thence to Tesco car park, and use the same route to return.
Very often, because the roundabout at the tunnel entrance is gridlocked, the traffic in Brunel is at a standstill back as far as Rotherhithe station, then we turn right into Swan, left into Rotherhithe St. and approach our house via St. Mary Church St.
I feel for the commuters and tradespeople who have no alternative but to use Jamaica Rd. and the tunnel while TBR is closed, it must be stultifying.
Wednesday 12 October 2016 7.41pm
I do feel bad for those surrounded by gridlock as a result of the closure, but closer to the bridge the reduction in traffic is nothing short of fantastic. The streets around Shad Thames are quieter than I can ever remember - no sirens, no HGVs using Queen Elizabeth Street as a ratrun - and the air quality heading up to and across the bridge is so much better.

I used to cycle across the bridge every day (now I push my bike) and you could feel the pollution in the air while waiting at the traffic lights on the north side. No more. It is almost a pleasure to be there (if it wasn't in the middle of a huge traffic junction)
Wednesday 12 October 2016 10.04pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
jonnyp42 wrote:
I digress, back to TBR, living as I do in Rotherhithe, close to the tunnel, we feel virtually marooned at the moment.
Only a dedicated masochist would drive anywhere which involved using Jamaica Road northbound, in fact you'd have to have masochistical tendencies to drive anywhere in London these days.
When my wife or I wish to visit Surrey Quays for the weekly shop, we drive along Brunel to Salter, then right toward Bacon School, coming out by Canada Water bus depot thence to Tesco car park, and use the same route to return.

Tom - I don't know where in Rotherhithe you live and there might be some reason you can't carry stuff, but Rotherhithe Station and Surrey Quays station are less than a mile apart. It's walkable in about 15 minutes.
Thursday 13 October 2016 8.02am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
jonnyp42 wrote:

Tom - I don't know where in Rotherhithe you live and there might be some reason you can't carry stuff, but Rotherhithe Station and Surrey Quays station are less than a mile apart. It's walkable in about 15 minutes.

A reasonable observation Phil, and very true, but I was talking of a week or more of shopping, 5 or 6 heavy bags of tinned goods, foodstuffs etc.
We live maybe 100 metres from the tunnel roundabout, maybe 200 from Rotherhithe station.
I will walk to Surrey Quays shopping centre and maybe on to the shops in Lower Road if I need something that I can carry, likewise I walk to Bermondsey station to get the Standard every afternoon.
That and walking around Southwark Park go a long way to keeping my waist at 34".
When I quit driving the black cab, I virtually quit driving altogether, I never 'got' that driving for pleasure thing, for me driving was a way to earn a living, and once I had to join the civilians and stay out of bus lanes, that put the tin hat on it for me.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions