London SE1 community website

Friars Bridge Court

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 21 February 2016 6.58pm
A long time ago there was a laundry or "bagwash" shop on the corner of Meymot Street and Colombo Street then proceeding towards Bkackfriars Road was a greengrocers, Minnie's shoe repairers, a barber shop, lastly called "Air Aid", a graphic designer of some sort, and on the corner of Blackfriars Road a trade union branch "Ruling" of the NUPWB.
I will not be offended if anybody corrects, me rather the opposite.
Sunday 21 February 2016 9.04pm
Ah yes, I remember the shoe repairers. Whilst we are remembering the area Bunhouse, what was on the site where the newish houses are on Hatfields that go round into Roupell Street?
Monday 22 February 2016 9.13am
Thebunhouse wrote:
A long time ago there was a laundry or "bagwash" shop on the corner of Meymot Street and Colombo Street then proceeding towards Bkackfriars Road was a greengrocers, Minnie's shoe repairers, a barber shop, lastly called "Air Aid", a graphic designer of some sort, and on the corner of Blackfriars Road a trade union branch "Ruling" of the NUPWB.
I will not be offended if anybody corrects, me rather the opposite.
bunkhouse. This is fascinating... Yes Roupell St new houses and old doctors surgery Dr Alan Shamash in the days when GP visited homes and care homes 24 7!it seemed and the old public house. I suppose tfl purchased the land compulsorily. Like wise big boys got rid of small boys at columbo meymott. Etcetera
Monday 22 February 2016 11.13am
Karen,
There were houses going from the viaduct towards Roupell Street, The first of them was a large house, 3 floors I think, with two small commercial premises on ground level, one was a small caff that did workmens food like bacon rolls etc and their seating was a bench against the wall on the outside, you sat on the bench or had a take-away. Next door was Sid's the barber. Then 2 storey houses with a basement, in the middle was a very narrow brown painted betting shop, a couple more houses and then on the corner of Roupell and Hatfields a hardware store. Turn left into Roupell Street and there was Coopers the greengrocers and then a newspaper shop.
Tuesday 23 February 2016 7.04pm
I remember none of those buildings. Thanks Bunhouse.
Wednesday 11 May 2016 3.06pm
Meymott Street before Friars Bridge Court was built:

And on the opposite side, where the Novotel/Ibis building is now:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 May 2016 5.58pm
The planning application for the redevelopment of FBC is here

Tuesday 12 July 2016 1.41pm
This scheme is going to planning committee tonight at 5.30pm

Hoping to live-stream the meeting at http://mixlr.com/se1

Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions