London SE1 community website

Ban bikes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 19 February 2016 4.21pm
Bikes are far more of a menace than cars to many pedestrians. But clearly, London's roads are very congested and having more bikes should mean fewer cars and buses. They just need to learn to ride a little less aggressively.
Friday 19 February 2016 4.45pm
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
Bikes are far more of a menace than cars to many pedestrians...
This is completely incorrect, as even a brief examination of the facts would show.
Friday 19 February 2016 4.54pm
I've heard it all now cyclists are to blame for bus companies not informing bus passengers that a bus stop is closed. of course it is it couldn't be anyone else's fault cyclist are evil so it must be down to them
Friday 19 February 2016 6.21pm
If measured by the number of SE1 forum threads that descend into a 'pro or anti cycling?' debate, then bicycles are one of the most controversial features of SE1 life.

But having been cycled into as a pedestrian in SE1 on a 'shared' pavement from behind, but also been nearly run over by a car at 30mph that didn't see the red light of a pedestrian crossing and seen the immediate aftermath when a pensioner was knocked down by a van in the same circumstances - I can say that while one is intimidating and uncomfortable, the other is downright dangerous.

Perhaps over time the bike superhighway expansion will lead to an uptake of cycling by slow, steady cyclists like in Cambridge or Amsterdam - historically those who cycle in London have wanted to keep safe by keeping up with motor traffic and but that is not necessary or suitable for the cycle superhighways. I wonder what speed limit applies to the cycle superhighways - presumably the one applying to the whole highway.

What would be safer is if we find ways to genuinely calm the traffic - and by that I mean not putting obstacles in drivers' way, designing roads to be pleasant spaces in which to spend inevitable amounts of time in, and reduce conflicts. The superhighways don't get this right yet but (judging by the number of times our streets get dug up and redesigned.. Waterloo and The Cut have been re-done a couple of times in the past decade) the design will probably get tweaked especially with persistent lobbying. Bow is being redesigned. Southwark's parks department certainly take that approach nowadays, observing how people use the parks and walk through them and then make adjustments as they go, and I feel sure that TfL and Southwark will make adjustments to these highway designs which are having to accommodate massive changes in transport modes whilst being overlaid onto medieval streets, 1960s gyratories and everything in between.
Friday 19 February 2016 7.12pm
'And bikes were here before cars and buses.'

Paramount wrote:
Yes. Comfortable 3 wheeler types etc. Not the boy.n girl racers one encounters in today's savage cutthroat society.

You must be joking. One of my ancestors was clearly a 'boy racer' towards the end of the 19th century - rode a penny-farthing. He was a member of a cycling club in south London (there's a nice group photograph of them with their bikes in front of the gates of Dulwich College). His diary records how they all set off one day and rode to Salisbury, met up with the local club there and rode on towards Southampton 'two by two'. Must have been a fine sight in their club uniform of stripy blazers and peaked caps, kicking up the chalk dust from the unmetalled roads.

Kings of the road! Woe betide any dogs or chickens that got in the way!

And have you never seen any road safety films from the 1930s or '40s? Cyclists all over the road, hanging on the backs of lorries etc?

Paramount wrote:
My parents rode bikes. Where they truly do belong... In the country. A gentlemen or ladies pastime.

I used to cycle in the country myself when the only danger was the occasional farm dog dashing out of a farmyard to nip at your ankles - I'd be wary of it today - too many motorists doing 90 down winding country lanes, and huge combines and dumper trucks filling the width of the road at blind corners.

And for several years in the late 1950s I cycled to and from school each day, several miles along the North Circular Road - I never felt as unsafe as I do now that I've taken up cycling again in central London.

And by the way, in London today it's not a 'gentlemen or ladies pastime' - it's a way of getting from A to B, and back again. And it always was.
Zoe
Friday 19 February 2016 9.12pm
Are cyclists also to blame for house prices around here?
Friday 19 February 2016 9.42pm
Well. If we all sit back wait for long term. We will all be healthier if we are still alive
Friday 19 February 2016 9.50pm
98 to 07 cyclists perhaps were more considerate but have got more aggressive

I stood at Southwark tube tonight 7pm and in 20 mins not one cyclist used the designated section. And the usual traffic jams continued as cars turning from the newly traffic choked The Cut had to queue single line with buses on blackfriars Road

It is a pathetic concept and I maintain not fit for purpose and cannot sustain in fairness to all
Friday 19 February 2016 10.07pm
No. I can see a car or bus clearly. Thank God. But cyclists? They sneak up on one and delight in trying to. Spook people.
Friday 19 February 2016 10.18pm
I observe the cycling lobby are now squirming

Like David Cameron when he's been wrong footed over Europe

Tfl.gov etc with their muddle headed plans giving cyclists precedence on the road... In effect.... Of course they are to blame for The Cut etc traffic congestion.. Who else is to blame then?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions