London SE1 community website

Road accidents

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Friday 26 February 2016 2.31pm
Zoe wrote:
Sadly it's unlikely the team still exists, given that Southwaek has lost 50% of it's funding and still needs to save more.
I wasn't surprised by the junctions, but it's still notable that BHS, which is terrible for pedestrians, is a TfL route, as they really seem to prioritise traffic flow above all other things. It's also a very constrained area, which will clearly limit what can be done, but it's about time we got a crossing by Borough Tube station, it's quite disgraceful that it's still not there.

I would like to see some political leadership on this from Southwark.

All very well, Zoe - but the Southwark Street/Borough High Street junction, with the highest number of casualties in 2012 to 2014, already has lights controlling the pedestrian crossings. As long as we pedestrians exercise our god-given right to ignore red lights whenever there's an apparent gap in the traffic there will continue to be accidents.

At the Borough High Street/Great Dover Street junction it would be interesting to know whether the 6 recorded accidents happened between the church and Brandon House (where the promised pedestrian lights are still to appear), or were due to the complicated phasing of the lights opposite the station that Jan mentions.

The new crossing between Trinity Street and Great Suffolk Street is nearly complete, though they have yet to erect the new lights.
Friday 26 February 2016 4.42pm
Thanks for posting that Michael - interesting and I'm glad no-one was hurt.

As a regular cyclist I find the new layout at St George's circus is bordering on insane. Coming at the circus from Borough Road, all non-cycles must turn left while the majority of bikes go straight over. Now they've redesigned the junction to force cycles along the left of left-turning traffic! The phasing of lights is supposed to prevent anyone getting squashed but it's still pushing cyclists into the most dangerous position possible.

Maybe I'll write to TFL and vent my indignation at them. Frankly I think most junctions around here were safer to cycle on before they put bike lanes on them.
Zoe
Friday 26 February 2016 4.59pm
I think the problem at Southwark Street/BHS is the split of the road. I have noticed people stepping out in front of cars when crossing next to the HSBC, as the cars are coming from further up the road and people who are unfamiliar with the junction may not realise how the lights work. There is also a bit of an issue that the light changes take overly long, so a section you would expect to move doesn't for ages, for no discernible reason, temping people to cross. I don't personally think that's particularly the fault of pedestrians, it just seems a complex and busy bit of road.
Friday 26 February 2016 6.52pm
Thanks Karen I and Tattie; that's exactly what I meant.

I'm not saying I think there will be more accidents because of cycling but that the roads are really confusing to cross now. Hope this clears up any confusion.
Zoe
Friday 26 February 2016 9.24pm
Totally my fault for misunderstanding you 😔
Friday 4 March 2016 8.09am
Sookysoo wrote:
I'm surprised too that there aren't many more accidents along Blackfriars Road now we have the cycle highway. I believe there was an accident in Burrell Street earlier this week? As for Borough High Street, I try to avoid it because of the lack of crossings.
. Sooky zoo. You are indeed correct!!! Bkackfriars road is disgustingly dangerous. Made more =so by the infantile inept and imbilic scheme for cyclists. Is super misnomer highway. Not fit for purpose should be closed down immediately n forthwith!!!
Friday 4 March 2016 8.11am
This super highway is a real pain looking left right and poor disabled old people with buggies etc. Frightening

Cotswolds 12
Friday 4 March 2016 8.13am
I nearly got knocked over BT tesco the cut crissu g yesterday. Another Bradley Higgins or whatever his name is!!!
Friday 4 March 2016 8.45pm
Wasn't there a serious accident outside the Palestra building yesterday morning? I rest my case...
Zoe
Friday 4 March 2016 9.00pm
The accident was a road collision. There absolutely no evidence that it's related to the cycle superhighway.

I also totally reject that Blackfriars Road is dangerous, it's actually a good road in terms of visibility and space between the traffic. The dangerous bit is the junction of The Cut and Union Street, which clearly needs more work. It's been dangerous for the twenty years I have lived here and it's just nonsense to suggest the cycle superhighway is anything to do with it, and by saying this we risk TfL ignoring the real risks. It was myself and other people who campaigned for a RH turn light there and I think we also need one going North,
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions