London SE1 community website

Road accidents

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Friday 4 March 2016 11.14pm
Sookysoo wrote:
Wasn't there a serious accident outside the Palestra building yesterday morning? I rest my case...
yes Sookysoo there was indeed and after that a few of us were at the new post office bus stop and a few cyclists attempted to ride through the bus queue. What a daft place to situate new bus stops in the middle if traffic islands basically
Saturday 5 March 2016 8.06pm
I reject the idea that the cycle super highway had nothing to do with Friday's accident at Blackfriars Road/ Union Street and The Cut just as I do that it was a contributory factor . None of us know the real and total causes of the accident so would it not be better to avoid apportioning blame until we have the facts.
I find Blackfriars Road to be a daunting road to cross as a pedestrian especially as I don't have eyes in the back of my head and silent cyclists seeming to be everywhere, it appears that bells and other warning devices are too heavy to carry on the boy racers' machines.
AS a motorists who has lived here all of my life I now find Blackfriars Road confusing and the confusion must add danger, too, for those who are strangers and do not know the junctions.
Heading south I cannot turn right into Webber Street and so turn left into Pocock Street then right into Rushworth Street and another right into Webber Street and continue and then cross Blackfriars Road and then enter the northern sde of Webber Street.
Heading north along BR I have to adopt a similar torturous route to enter The Cut.
Perhaps one of the vociferous cycling lobby can tell a stranger driving north along Blackfriars Road after having managed to get from the New Kent Road around the Elephant and then St. George's Circus how to get into The Cut.
I doubt if even Tom Pepper can work that one out.

Can Zoe explain what a road collision is ?
Monday 7 March 2016 9.55am
Can anybody explain why there is no left turn into The Cut?
I have been turning left at the junction, formerly known as The Ring, into The Cut for well over 50 years and now cannot do so because of cyclists and their highway. Why?

Two colleagues of mine have told me that they believe it will not be long before a cyclist is injured at the junction by a motor vehicle turning right into The Cut with the green light in their favour and cyclists continuing north and south through the junction across their path, this has happened to both of them so it does make one wonder how often it happens throughout the day. I haven't seen it myself but have no reason to doubt their word.
Monday 7 March 2016 3.52pm
This new collision map from TfL is interesting:

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety-and-security/road-safety/london-collision

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 March 2016 3.54pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Perhaps one of the vociferous cycling lobby can tell a stranger driving north along Blackfriars Road after having managed to get from the New Kent Road around the Elephant and then St. George's Circus how to get into The Cut.
I doubt if even Tom Pepper can work that one out.

Can Zoe explain what a road collision is ?

Challenge accepted Thebunhouse, on the clear understanding that you bear in mind the fact that I haven't been behind the wheel of a black cab for more than 4 years now, so I'm not au fait with all the road closures and/or new no entries that have been introduced by TFL, or Totally Failing London as they are known to REAL London taxi drivers.

Okay, two ways come to mind, both a bit laborious, but legal, (or were legal.)
a) Going north up BR, go through the junction at The Cut, left into Meymott Street, left into Hatfields, proceed to The Cut, or from Hatfields, left into Joan Street, proceed to The Cut.
b) Go north through the junction again, then right into Scoresby Street, right into Gambia Street, right into Union Street, cross Blackfriars Road into The Cut.
Of course, as a black cab driver, I'd almost certainly go through the junction, then make a U-turn, then turn right into The Cut, a tad awkward for a civilian, not having the turning circle, or the chutzpah of a black cab driver.
Monday 7 March 2016 7.14pm
I've always hated crossing the road at the Blackfriars Rd / Stamford St junction. It's always baffled me why there are no lights for pedestrians, so dangerous! I do believe this will change soon with the new layout though.

I must say that cyclists ignoring red lights have contributed to the majority of my near misses....
Monday 7 March 2016 9.34pm
I nearly got run over by a bike on BF road but it's because I did not realise it was a two way cycle lane, it would help if sign posted as most people expect a lane next to northbound trafic to have northbound cyclists not both, the situation further compounded by cyclists using the normal road too in every direction. I've seen a number of cylists also using single bike lanes in the wrong direction so really when crossing as a pedestrian now you cannot use the flow of traffic as an indicator. And this is not a rant against cyclists, there are good and bad same as drivers.

@ bunhouse, I know a way into the Cut from E and C that I think is fairly easy but it has to stay under wraps, road knowledge is the new diamond now unless you buy me a pint, i'll do mostly anything for a pint.
Monday 7 March 2016 10.47pm
Crossing the whole of Blackfriars Road is like being a kid again - playing chicken in the road - but I'm much, much older now and not so good with the reflexes.

I feel sorry for Charlie in Express Supersave, he must be losing customers who live on the other side of the road cos it's so risky getting over there. I know a few of the older folk who are going to Sainsbury's rather than risk it.

I can't believe anybody is happy with this arrangement. And I'm still seeing loads of cyclists up the St George's Circus end riding where they always have - alongside the buses. Totally confused I am!
Monday 7 March 2016 10.56pm
Tomstar wrote:
I've always hated crossing the road at the Blackfriars Rd / Stamford St junction. It's always baffled me why there are no lights for pedestrians, so dangerous! I do believe this will change soon with the new layout though.
I must say that cyclists ignoring red lights have contributed to the majority of my near misses....

Your personal experience notwithstanding, it's worth remembering that no other road user in the capital is less likely to injure a ped than a cyclist. Cyclists are responsible for just 1.8% of ped injuries in London, despite making up a third of traffic on arterial routes or junctions like Bank. And as cycling rates increase it becomes even safer. More cyclists means safer conditions for pedestrians.

The CSHs are amazing and all credit to Gilligan for forcing them through amid fierce opposition. The LTDA called cyclists "like ISIS" and LTDA members on Twitter regularly post death threats toward people on bikes. They say that any cyclist who doesn't use the lanes is "fair game" to be run over and killed. A cabbie's just been fined for using his taxi as a weapon:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/taxi-driver-fined-for-knocking-highprofile-cycling-campaigner-off-bike-a3135406.html

There really is enough aggression on the roads without cabbies adding to it.
Zoe
Monday 7 March 2016 10.59pm
James Hatts wrote:

It is interesting but it doesn't include all the accidents as I see lots of accidents involving two vehicles hitting each other fairly regularly on The Cut/Blackfriars Road, to which an ambulance is called, but only one accident is showing. I presume the safety design of modern cars means the smash can be pretty spectacular but the drivers are still safe.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions