London SE1 community website

Road accidents

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Zoe
Tuesday 8 March 2016 2.05pm
Paramount wrote:
Zoe wrote:
James Hatts wrote:

It is interesting but it doesn't include all the accidents as I see lots of accidents involving two vehicles hitting each other fairly regularly on The Cut/Blackfriars Road, to which an ambulance is called, but only one accident is showing. I presume the safety design of modern cars means the smash can be pretty spectacular but the drivers are still safe.
except Zoe. The ambulance can't get through or away again as we are surrounded by cyclists lanes both north and south. Crazy or what? I was on observation duty again yesterday

That was unnecessarily rude and personal about me and just plain wrong as I watch ambulances getting through every day.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 2.13pm
We now appear to have resurfacing opposite Lesoco college The Cut. Just can't leave us alone can they?
Tuesday 8 March 2016 2.17pm
Air ambulances maybe
Tuesday 8 March 2016 2.19pm
Ambulances and other emergency services are permitted to use (and have used) the new cycle lanes. And as the users of these lanes (except for mobility scooters) can easily get out of the way, for the first time these services will not be at risk of congestion along the N-S and E-W routes.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 2.40pm
It's possibly teething issues as scheme not completely brought to fruition. I am aware emergency vehicles have used or attempted to use present layout in various areas of the metropolis

Do the planners intend fiddling with West End and Regent. Street etc? . At present those roads seem relatively untouched

Perhaps SE1 etc is a trial guinea pig area to see how it works and to gauge people's reaction and they are watching make know mistake.... Already ruffled feathers have been in evidence

Aren't we the lucky ones'
Tuesday 8 March 2016 3.34pm
The sort of changes happening in SE1 are not isolated. The City of London are doing all sorts of stuff with changing traffic flow but oddly in some case like Fleet Street they are reducing the road space and forcing cyclist and motorists in to the same smaller area. Maybe slowing everything down a little and forcing everybody to play nice is the way to go? Who knows.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.k/fleetstreetarea
Tuesday 8 March 2016 4.18pm
PeterEccles wrote:
The sort of changes happening in SE1 are not isolated. The City of London are doing all sorts of stuff with changing traffic flow but oddly in some case like Fleet Street they are reducing the road space and forcing cyclist and motorists in to the same smaller area. Maybe slowing everything down a little and forcing everybody to play nice is the way to go? Who knows.

As every black cab driver, working, or like me, retired, knows.
Somewhere in an ivory tower in the City, or in Palestra, Blackfriars Road, a group of "we know best" suits sit around and brainstorm ideas that will eventually bring all of London to a frustrating, shuddering, halt.
They will pay lip service to advancing the concept of safe cycling, but in reality they couldn't care less if you ride a bike, drive a car or van, travel by bus or taxi, they will make your commute as painful, or as near impossible as they can.
Cynical? Qui, moi? Jamais.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 11.13pm
PeterEccles wrote:
Interesting link Peter, but there was typo:
www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/fleetstreetarea

This bit from the strategy blurb shows a different approach to Southwark / TfL's.
"The proposals to reduce the carriageway width on Fleet Street and Ludgate Hill will remove the current patchwork of cycle lanes and will encourage cyclists to use the main traffic lane; Advance Stop Lines for cyclists would also be provided where appropriate.
Together with the proposals to provide inset loading bays along the length of the corridor, it is expected that these measures will reduce conflicts that cyclists currently face and subsequently reduce accident numbers. "

The more I cycle around St George's Circus / Borough Road the more bewildered I get with the new layouts. Much preferred being a normal vehicle on the road, allowed to decide whether I should be on the left or right-hand side of the buses and lorries.
Wednesday 9 March 2016 8.57am
PeteStaples wrote:
PeterEccles wrote:
Interesting link Peter, but there was typo:
www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/fleetstreetarea

This bit from the strategy blurb shows a different approach to Southwark / TfL's.
"The proposals to reduce the carriageway width on Fleet Street and Ludgate Hill will remove the current patchwork of cycle lanes and will encourage cyclists to use the main traffic lane; Advance Stop Lines for cyclists would also be provided where appropriate.
Together with the proposals to provide inset loading bays along the length of the corridor, it is expected that these measures will reduce conflicts that cyclists currently face and subsequently reduce accident numbers. "

The more I cycle around St George's Circus / Borough Road the more bewildered I get with the new layouts. Much preferred being a normal vehicle on the road, allowed to decide whether I should be on the left or right-hand side of the buses and lorries.

There's an interesting map at http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-base-map-master.pdf showing the TLRN (Transport for London Road Network), the main roads TfL is responsible for - you might have to download it to zoom in. There's an extraordinary knot of conflicting TfL routes in north Southwark/Lambeth (much more complicated than north of the river). For example, I wasn't aware that Newington Causeway from Borough station to E&C is NOT TfL's responsibility, nor is the Walworth Road. Perhaps it would be best left to the boroughs - except there'd be border wars when a borough decided it didn't like so much through traffic coming in from an adjacent borough.
Wednesday 9 March 2016 1.23pm
Wouldn't it be a good idea johnC if there was a road alphabetical index of the roads each organisation was responsible for? I know several years back confusion reigned when trying to report the metal covers in new Kent road, clanging every time a vehicle went over it, where the asphalt was being eroded by heavy use or possibly not being repaired properly or poor routine maintenance.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions