London SE1 community website

Southwark fire station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 26 February 2016 3.16pm
No one's saying you should live in SE1. No one's saying Wandsworth is great (or not great). My point was that Graveney is irrelevant to a discussion about a school in SE1 because Graveney's entrance policy is that it is partially selective (including a proportion for those who take the Wandsworth test - that proportion being roughly 25%).

If your kid didn't get in, despite living close to the school, I assume this is because the catchment area (after taking into account all the other people who have priority before proximity comes into play) is really small.

This is exactly the problem that you have with any half-decent school in SE1. Which is why I welcome an additional school.

Given your experience, I'd have thought you'd understand and sympathise with that.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 26 February 2016 4.44pm
yes I do feel sorry as there is not that many schools on SE1 - I used graveney as an example of not all local children getting in schools near where they live as you suggested they would if a school is built on the old fire station, I know noone said I didnt live in SE1 - I was just letting people know who may have thought I was just a troll or something
Friday 26 February 2016 4.56pm
I was quite pleased to hear it's going to be a school, as opposed to million-quid investor-owned luxury warehouse period conversion duplex pied-a-terre apartments.

Or flats, if you prefer.
Friday 26 February 2016 5.22pm
Don't get too carried away with the school vs luxury housing argument - the fire station complex is going to have around 180 homes as well as the school - it's both not one or the other.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 26 February 2016 5.37pm
Yes James. I knew it was flats and a school.
My assumption (admittedly based on no hard facts) was that the alternative would be to use the whole site for residential. At least, that's all the other empty land round here gets used for.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 27 February 2016 6.05am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Southwark isn't exactly over-endowed with secondary schools. Especially if you're not a regular worshipper at an approved church (and goodness knows why churches should have a monopoly over access to state-funded education in the first place, but that's not the issue we're discussing here).

Southwark has plenty of secondary schools (faith schools aside). Problem is that none of the non-faith schools are any good (perhaps with one or two exceptions). Churches don't have a monopoly on it. It just so happens that they are rather good at educating children and everyone wants their kids to go on the basis they will have a better education.
Monday 29 February 2016 12.00pm
Well I for one was not pleased to hear that it will be converted to a secondary school. Is that allowed?
I live in what will probably be the direct route those 1200 school children will take when arriving and leaving the school.
I and my neighbours also have concerns about how the tube and buses will cope with the additional passengers safety wise.
There may be a need for secondary schools in the borough but that does not stop residents from having real concerns.
And lets not pretend dealing with 1200 school kids does not come without its problems.

On saying that, I am glad it's not being converted into luxury flats.
Monday 29 February 2016 1.19pm
I can see your argument Antant - yet what do you suggest, build a school elsewhere - so its someone elses problem?

We all know that the tubes are full to bursting as i Travel on 2 on the busiest 5 days a week
Monday 29 February 2016 1.54pm
No Chelsea, I am not proposing that the school be moved elsewhere, I just want to highlight the legitimate concerns that some residents have about this.
It's all too easy for people who are not directly affected by the decision to poo poo any concerns that people who live on the direct route may have.

Having 1200 school children on your doorstep is quite significant. I ask you to take a few seconds to think about how you would feel about a secondary school being placed a 5 minute walk from your home.
Monday 29 February 2016 2.04pm
I have one that is a 5 min walk away - yet it was there when I moved in - so I was to blame for having it so close
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions