London SE1 community website

So long, farewell

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 7 March 2016 10.21am
Sookysoo I am so glad you have not given up on us completely, everybody has a personal point of view which some others will disagree with but we should all be polite and not aggressive in our tone or language........and here speaks one who has been guilty of all three.
I realised some time ago that there was a little corps who seemed to regard it as their right to pick on the less eloquent and seek self-aggrandizement by displaying their superior knowledge. They always seemed to support one another and had a great desire to always have the last word I took the decision never to respond to them and I believe so did many more and we now have less concerted attacks, indeed fewer postings altogether.
I expect to get attacked by the vociferous cycling lobby again because I have criticised them and their sacred cow of Cycle Super Highways.
We shall see.
But stay with us we need you more than the abusers.
Monday 7 March 2016 10.28am
Thebunhouse wrote:
Sookysoo I am so glad you have not given up on us completely, everybody has a personal point of view which some others will disagree with but we should all be polite and not aggressive in our tone or language........and here speaks one who has been guilty of all three.
I realised some time ago that there was a little corps who seemed to regard it as their right to pick on the less eloquent and seek self-aggrandizement by displaying their superior knowledge. They always seemed to support one another and had a great desire to always have the last word I took the decision never to respond to them and I believe so did many more and we now have less concerted attacks, indeed fewer postings altogether.
I expect to get attacked by the vociferous cycling lobby again because I have criticised them and their sacred cow of Cycle Super Highways.
We shall see.
But stay with us we need you more than the abusers.

The cycling crowd are the number 1 issue I have on here...no criticism can be made. A slur on 1 is seen as a slur on all. Very much like another militant group I can think of.
Monday 7 March 2016 11.46am
Excellent. Fully concur with your points

Cotswolds 12
Monday 7 March 2016 2.22pm
Like others I am pleased that Sookysoo has continued to contribute to the forum.

In the light of this and other another recent thread (which I didn't intend to remove, but having accidentally pressed the 'hide thread' button rather than 'close thread' button, I decided not to reinstate) please could I implore people to think carefully about their words and how they are likely to be perceived by others.

We all know tone of voice and and subtle humour can be hard to convey in the written word, but please try to avoid casual rudeness.

If someone asks what you consider to be a daft question, it might be better to keep that thought to yourself. If people are prepared to have a go at answering the question, great. If not, the thread will naturally sink down the list and be forgotten.

If you don't have anything on-topic and constructive to add to a thread, please think twice about posting.

I'd like to keep the forum as a useful, lively and stimulating resource that's open to anyone who wants to join in. Sometimes we all fall short of this aim. But fortunately any unpleasant incident is usually balanced out by a more heart-warming example of neighbourliness and community spirit on the forum.

Thebunhouse wrote:
Thebunhouse, with the greatest respect, I fear you are indulging in the same behaviour you accuse others of.

Talking in terms of the 'cycling lobby' and 'sacred cows' immediately sets up a hostile 'them and us' situation which doesn't allow for reasoned discussion of the specifics of any particular case.

In the recent discussions on the cycle superhighway across a number of threads, you've made some fairly strong statements about cyclists and cycling, which some people have taken issue with and posted a contrary view. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do not believe that you have been 'attacked' for anything you've posted about cycling. I may well have missed something, though - so if you can find a message where you've received an unwarranted response, please direct my attention to it using the 'report to moderator' button.

Using the 'report to moderator' button is the correct way to flag up any concerns. I might not always act on an individual complaint, but I will look carefully at anything brought to my attention and deal with it as appropriate.

thank you

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions