London SE1 community website

Blackfriars Rd blocked off by police

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 4 March 2016 10.07am
This has been waiting to happen for a while. I saw a rubbish lorry accelerate over the cross roads on red lights yesterday. The road works don't help but neither does the cycle super highway... It will take a lots of learning on the part of all road users to get used to looking both ways twice....
Friday 4 March 2016 10.38am
markblackfriars wrote:
This has been waiting to happen for a while. I saw a rubbish lorry accelerate over the cross roads on red lights yesterday. The road works don't help but neither does the cycle super highway... It will take a lots of learning on the part of all road users to get used to looking both ways twice....

There's a clear culture in London for the majority of road users to treat an amber light as a signal to accelerate, rather than to prepare to stop. I don't see it anywhere else to the same extent as I do in London where almost everyone seems to speed up when the lights go amber.
Friday 4 March 2016 10.53am
Guy's street wrote:
markblackfriars wrote:

There's a clear culture in London for the majority of road users to treat an amber light as a signal to accelerate, rather than to prepare to stop. I don't see it anywhere else to the same extent as I do in London where almost everyone seems to speed up when the lights go amber.

Absolutely. Sometimes with the consequence that it can get a bit scary for anyone who does stop on amber.

I stopped on red yesterday. A clear red, after the two buses in front of me drove through on amber/amber-red. The bus behind me honked its horn and nearly ran into me. The driver clearly intended to go through the lights - whether they were amber or red. But after honking, braking, and then looking me in the eye as I gestured up to the red light, the driver did wave a cheery apology. So that's alright....

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions