London SE1 community website

Former Eurostar terminal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 4 March 2016 2.06pm
James Hatts wrote:
DavidS - this isn't a high rise development. It's about using the old departures and arrivals lounges below the old Eurostar platforms.

"the proposals are still evolving" James.

Given that it is right next to the site of Elizabeth House redevelopment that Pickles is pushing through which has a variety of heights between 10 and 29 storeys, and that itself is on the edge of a cluster of new Shell Center towers, a large tower would not actually be out of place there (it would just encroach on my view of the eye *sob*). Anything up to 10 storeys wouldn't be seen from Westminster, and anything up to 29 storeys at the north end would be hidden from view behind the other Shell towers going up - so the Westminster views are the same and, from the East, we just see the back of a different tower.
Friday 4 March 2016 2.22pm
It is certainly likely that we will see more towers in and around the Waterloo Station complex - it has been enshrined in local planning policy for some time (though there are some technical constraints due to the tube tunnels etc).

But this particular proposal specifically relates to the space under the former international terminal platforms, not any tall building.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 4 March 2016 9.33pm
Network Rail should be forced to bring the platforms into use for trains before they can open any shops underneath. It's crazy that the 5 old international platforms have been sitting mostly unused for almost 10 years whilst day after day people squash themselves onto trains trying to get into Waterloo (I was one of them for several years!).

Glad they have finally started work on this but it's terrible that they knew for years that Eurostar was moving to St P and never had a plan for the platforms.
Friday 1 April 2016 5.30pm
More details of the retail development here:
http://www.wi-concourselevels.com

There was a public exhibition last month but I've only just found out about it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 27 July 2016 2.45pm
Hi all,

I am preparing proposals to open an independent new theatre and creative workspace within the lower levels of the former international terminal. The project would provide a 500 seat theatre, pub and creative entrepreneurial workspace.

We are still drawing up the feasibility study but it would be great to have you initial thoughts/comments around our ideas.

We also tendered for the meanwhile use of Waterloo library (we were unsuccessful!) - information can be seen on our website - Comments welcomed!

http://theatreincubator.london/

Thanks
Wednesday 27 July 2016 7.01pm
garethandrewwilliams wrote:
Hi all,
I am preparing proposals to open an independent new theatre and creative workspace within the lower levels of the former international terminal. The project would provide a 500 seat theatre, pub and creative entrepreneurial workspace.

We are still drawing up the feasibility study but it would be great to have you initial thoughts/comments around our ideas.

We also tendered for the meanwhile use of Waterloo library (we were unsuccessful!) - information can be seen on our website - Comments welcomed!

http://theatreincubator.london/

Thanks

It sounds like a worthwhile project, I definitively approve.

It would be good to include a restaurant/canteen as well as a pub. Perhaps beef wellingtons could be the signature dish, given that it would be located in the namesake of his famous naval victory.
Wednesday 3 August 2016 9.11am
It would be great to have a place to browse around before your train arrives, and with plenty of seating so that people will know where to aim for a rendezvous. This will be awe inspiring, the arts aspect completely novel in a station with a vast amount of space in which to fit everything in comfortably.A destination in its own right.
Wednesday 3 August 2016 9.50am
Wouldn't there be a noise issue for a theatre, if they restart the trains running above?
I think there is already quite a fair number of fringes theatres around, the Vaults, the Network theatre, Waterloo East theatre, Young Vic, the Southwark Playhouse, Edric theatre, the new Mercato Metropolitano at Elephant has one too and I am sure I am missing a few... Always wondered how all these small venues can survive. I know profit is not the point in culture but they still have to pay for their bills...
Wednesday 3 August 2016 3.12pm
What about street pianos as St Pancras? Really great there.. Presumably the original victorian roof will be replaced..
Have you seen the flash floods when it rains? Network Rail etc really mustgget a grip on all this but I suspect twill all be taken back into public ownership in future

Cotswolds 12
Wednesday 17 August 2016 5.11pm
Thanks all for your comments.

Jules - I think thats a great idea, and inline with my thoughts too.

SandyPandy/Connie - I agree with you both. We are still in discussions and the station certainly has its challenges, but I think the building and location are fantastic for a new theatre.

Theatres under railway arches do have their downsides, as Connie points out. Often this is due to the fact fringe theatres find homes in spaces nobody else wants! That is very often the compromise with new cultural spaces in central London.

Having said that, In-fact the space under the old Eurostar Terminal is huge, with lots of potential and very thick slabs between floors which helps with noise insulation. We are also looking at space a few levels below the Platform level, and so noise shouldn't be an issue.

It's true that small venues struggle to survive. It's a balancing act between revenue streams and fundraising (bar, corporate hires e.t.c). It's often very difficult to get new cultural developments off the ground, I think it's fundamental to form a solid, sustainable, business plan to ensure the venue is self-sufficient and non-reliant on public funding. As Sandy points out - I think the key to this is creating a 'destination' both for tourists and local residents.

I believe that regeneration doesn't have to be negative gentrification. We do have the opportunity to get involved with future changes to our city - but i can testify that that isn't easy, developers will ignore you, ideas have to be constantly morphed, it takes lots of time and no-one is paying you a wage! Nevertheless, I think the Eurostar terminal opens up a huge opportunity and hope that with collaboration, we can create something culturally and socially defining for the area.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions