London SE1 community website

E&C Greasy Spoon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 30 March 2016 3.41pm
quite like the bankside café on hatfields - although it now seems that every building site in London uses it for breakfast/brunch/lunch its getting harder and harder to get a seat !
Thursday 31 March 2016 8.34am
I'm guessing a greasy spoon can only be called a greasy spoon if it does chips...otherwise its a sandwich shop?

Got to agree that Terry's breakfast is great....even the tourist have found it! I lady I work with granddad ran it 30+ years ago and apparently it was a lot "greasier" then.
Thursday 31 March 2016 10.22am
Tommy,my mate, and I used Terry's cafe on a regular basis over twenty years ago, always on Tom's expense a/c.
We had breakfast, the usual fry-up, eggs, bacon, tomatoes sausage and a couple of slices. The bacon came as thick meaty irregular rashers and the tomatoes were fresh, not tinned, and Tom always had them so the skins were burned deliberately which Terry knew because the greeting was "Usual Tom?". And the bread was always crusty bloomer slices again irregularly cut and often Tom would get more to mop up the juices left on his plate.
Often we would have members of the legal profession join us at our table because ours' was the only table with a couple of empty seats,the lawyers were working at the Assizes.
Good times, excellent breakfast and good company.

Bankside on Hatfields must be the most popular cafe in the area, especially for builders, at about this time, 10 o'clock, it will be crowded with up to 20 diners eating outside as well as a full house inside. I often see disgruntled builders having to search for another cafe on The Cut.
It astounds me that 10/12 years ago the cafe would have only had about 20 customers a day, you could pass by and it would be empty most of the day , it proves good service, good value and cleanliness is the answer.
Thursday 31 March 2016 2.52pm
Going back to the original topic, I didn't realise the Sundial in E and C had closed. Such a shame. Mind you I don't think it was ever the same since the elderly waiter retired some years back. Think his name was Costas? Does anyone else remember him? A really lovely man who was always chatting about Manchester United football team!
Thursday 31 March 2016 3.07pm
It closed suddenly from one day to the next..and the dark gap in the shopping centre is really depressing..and brings home the fact that our brilliant local facility is going. And I don't care what anyone says, it IS brilliant, and no amount of posh shops and swanky boutiques are going to make up for it. I've seen the latest plans...UGH.
Thursday 31 March 2016 6.41pm
Hi Jackie

Do you know what the plans are for E and C? Especially the shops? I agree that it has it's good points but I would like some different shops. I'm not a fan of 99p shops so I'm hoping another isn't planned! Oh for a Waitrose and a Costa Coffee ...
Thursday 31 March 2016 7.06pm
Well Sookysoo I guess you'll.get your wish. You're one of the upmarket people who no doubt find us old timers a scruffy lot, who enjoyed our shopping centre just BECAUSE it wasn't all Starbucks and Gucci, Pucci and Ferucci. They are the only ones who'll be able to afford the rents.
Thursday 31 March 2016 7.18pm
Not at all, I don't have the money to be upmarket! I just think there could be some other shops apart from what's currently on offer. I find there are too many shops selling similar products; WHSmith and The Card Factory, Boots and Superdrug etc. Just because I want some variety doesn't mean I don't care. As for Costa Coffee being 'posh'! Really?! There's one on every street where I live!
Thursday 31 March 2016 11.44pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
It closed suddenly from one day to the next..and the dark gap in the shopping centre is really depressing..

Sundial now has something of the Maria Celeste about it: all the tables perfectly laid up with their ketchup bottles and salt and pepper dispensers.

Rather eerie really, like something out of 28 Days Later.

The famous Blues Brothers car chase scene inside a shopping centre was actually shot inside a Mall that was due for demolition: it would be good if some filmmaker used the EC's shopping centre is a similar way...

Friday 1 April 2016 8.09am
Bunhouse, reading your post about your breakfast has me salivating..if that's the right word...if it ain't it's making me very hungry!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions