London SE1 community website

E&C Greasy Spoon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Friday 1 April 2016 11.09am
Sookysoo wrote:
Oh for a Waitrose and a Costa Coffee ...
As for Costa Coffee being 'posh'! Really?! There's one on every street where I live!

I mistook your first message for a joke. There's one on every street everywhere, E&C is a refreshing change.

It's the anti-Westfield.
Friday 1 April 2016 11.31am
Well said Pete!
Friday 1 April 2016 5.45pm
I for one don't want the Elephant and Castle shopping centre to be all 'Westfieldised' but it does need improvement. Can you honestly say a centre with butchers selling meat which stinks to high heaven, a 99p shop where mice have been spotted, and a Boots which sells the bare minimum is the way forward? Face it, the shopping centre has been in decline for years.

There are no decent clothing shops, very few places to eat now and the 20p toilets are dire!

The centre doesn't meet the needs of the community anymore, it's dirty and run down... Now lets wait for the contradictory messages to flood in!
Friday 1 April 2016 6.15pm
No one denies it's become shabby..largely because it's been due to be refurbished/torn down/ rebuilt/abolished for almost twenty years. So of course the leases are rubbish, and the eateries have moved (although I love the Indian), and the Sensational dress shop packed up (miss that too). There's been no reason to look after it.
Friday 1 April 2016 6.50pm
Degustibus non est disputandem.

I like the shabbiness of the shopping centre and, as it happens, the 99p shop is a favourite of mine.
The Indian has a great buffet and possibly the best value in London. Clarks shoes are terrific and the Electric/Household shop has everything you need and guys who work there are just lovely.

No complaints here.
Friday 1 April 2016 8.50pm
That's a shame, I had many a take away panini and chips from there when I couldn't be bothered to make lunch.

To add to the other discussion, there are certainly some shops I'd replace in the shopping centre but Sun dial wasn't one of them! (And I bloody love that 99p shop!)
Friday 1 April 2016 9.58pm
Obviously regular visitors to the shopping centre. 99p store closed last year and is now a poundland!
Friday 1 April 2016 11.58pm
maurits wrote:
The Indian has a great buffet and possibly the best value in London.

All that place needs to do, is work on its hygiene...

Saturday 2 April 2016 8.07am
Best thing about the shopping centre is that you can get everything you absolutely HAVE to have (ie basic food and medical things, DIY a and household stuff, ) plus Peakocks always has been a port in a storm for me, as is Clarks, and yesterday I had to send something by DHL from Smith's which also gives me birthday cards and printer cartridges, and all UNDER COVER!! The new plans put us (as with the horrible roundabout) outside...as the planners proudly pointed out to me. "For God's SAKE," I said " This is ENGLAND! Being under cover and being able to buy all the basics without our umbrellas turning inside out is GREAT". Will they listen? Surely not.
Saturday 2 April 2016 8.48am
So the 99p shop is now a 1 shop.
No change there then.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions