London SE1 community website

E&C Greasy Spoon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Saturday 2 April 2016 10.45am
I understand there will be a pound shop in the new development, well it will actually be a lb shop, a jewellers where everything you buy weighs a pound.
Saturday 2 April 2016 11.16am
Exactly! And dont forget..between our beloved Shopping Centre coming down and the new one going up....I for one will be dead.
Saturday 2 April 2016 10.28pm
Well I will be cheering when the 'beloved' shopping centre comes down!

Maybe they will have a nice umbrella shop for all those people who don't want to do their shopping in the rain ;)
Sunday 3 April 2016 12.45pm
Jules62 wrote:
maurits wrote:
The Indian has a great buffet and possibly the best value in London.

All that place needs to do, is work on its hygiene...

I was eating in there last year and mice were running about. The owner didn't charge us for our meal/drinks if we wouldn't report Them!
Sunday 3 April 2016 1.17pm
Hope all the shops will have adequate doorways for Mums to take their babies in and prams, apart from the prams the size of tractors!
Sunday 3 April 2016 2.16pm
That Indian restaurant has very good recent reviews on trip advisor as well.

RE: the butchers I think Sookysoo is referring to, (I have never bought meat in there, never noticed no smell to be honest) is where I get my lentils and rice, big bags, very cheap. It also has just about every herb and spice you could imagine. The greengrocer just outside gives me the biggest root of ginger for 1, far bigger and fresher than the ginger I get out of the local Sainscos.

I will miss that place, although I suppose there's plenty to dislike about it, but it has been purposely run down, like the estate next door was. I guess they'll call it a "failed mall".
Sunday 3 April 2016 2.34pm
The Cobblers I missed..Woolworths...green shield stamp shop where you could redeem the books ..the original Tescos where you could go in both entrances...the bacon and cheese counter there, where you could buy green collar bacon..as I recall they minimalised Tescos when opening old Kent road store. Can't remember the ins and outs of someone on the council had a backhander to prevent Sainsburys opening in okr.sorry gone off topic again.but as Boroughian said allowed to run down to fit in with the Elephant Fart. Every bit of Sarf London disappearing .
Sunday 3 April 2016 6.18pm
Pops did you report the Indian restaurant? That's really bad to have mice running about, I would have.

It's bad enough that there's mice in some of the shops and there used to be in the Palace bingo. All joking aside you must report an eating establishment if you see anything. It breaks their Food Hygiene Certificate guidelines for a start.
Sunday 3 April 2016 7.19pm
Jan, I haven't heard either of the two terms you used for bacon for years .
Green bacon.
Collar rashers.
60 plus years ago we used to have collar rashers because they were cheaper than back bacon and meatier than streaky but we always had smoked (as I still do) never green. I always understood "green" to mean non-smoked bacon. Am I wrong?
When I tell people, today, that we used to have to pay more for brown shelled eggs than the usual white eggs I am not believed and they don't believe that it was thought brown eggs were more nourishing than white
Whatever happened to white eggs and collar bacon?
Sunday 3 April 2016 7.46pm
Used the new crossing at the bottom of st George's road today and witnessed an impatient pedestrian nearly mowed down by incoming traffic. Anyway, was fuming the 1 shop had plants half the price and double the size of the ones I had bought at the East street market in the morning! Only it was closing and could not buy anymore!
Scary to think that mice would most likely also contaminate tesco's food, especially the bread section... Yuk
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions