London SE1 community website

Mugging on Hatfields witnessed at approx 1820hrs today

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 6 April 2016 9.06am
The cycle shop used to have brilliant CCTV. It is still the same owner so let's hope it remains in action,if so then the quality of any images will help the police as they have done before.
It is disturbing that such a large marauding group is operating locally in daylight.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 9.10am
If indeed the offenders were playing football then there will be a record of who the pitch was booked too prior to the time of assault.
Zoe
Wednesday 6 April 2016 1.33pm
Yes, I thought the same thing, that the starting point should be Colombo Street.

This is a really disturbing crime and I'm sure everyone who lives around that bit of Hatfields is going to be really shocked as it's a very safe area. I hope the victims are all ok.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 2.24pm
Very true Dee Dee, hardly likely to be walking around in their uniforms as is the easter holidays and whenever Ive walked down Hatfields in the evening, the people playing football are all around the 18-20 range, pretty sure the police will have contacted the who runs the playing area

I agree with you Jan, cctv is a bonus not a problem as many say it goes against the freedom - I always say if you have nothing to hide then you should have no problem with cctv, if it helps the police solve crimes and helps t keep us safe from terrorist attacks, then all power to it
Wednesday 6 April 2016 3.43pm
I have visited the cycle shop and they still have CCTV. They tried to show me the relevant time of recording but as it was lunchtime they were busy and I was proving to be a nuisance so I said I would call in later. They did tell me that they were open until 7pm last night and had not noticed anything untoward, they could have been working out the back of course.
Whilst I raised the fact of CCTV I do have a problem with the attitude of "If you have nothing to hide you should have no problem with CCTV". Although I have nothing to hide I would object to a CCTV camera being focussed on my front door 24/7.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 4.51pm
The incident was around 1820-1825 . Initally outside the cycle shop where the youths swarmed towards it. i thought they were going to try and take one of the bikes on the racks outside, but maybe they had locks on as they moved away. Then they swarmed around a passing black car , opening its doors and jeering - then as the car managed to dash through them male cyclist , i think he had a green jacket on was pulled all over the place by them and manhandled towards the pavement by the gate to styles house . he managed to get up and cycle off and i think a car pulled up next to him to ask if he was ok

I was on the phone to 999 and advised that the youths were no on the cut heading towards blackfriars road/southwark station area and was advised police were on the way .

I dont know what happened after that as had to leave for work. Although i did see a police carrier and a car on the cut scanning side roads etc
Wednesday 6 April 2016 7.14pm
dee dee wrote:
Littledorrit1 wrote:
I'm told they were pupils from The London Nautical School.
Doesn't surprise me, especially after last summer when a group of pupils (Nautical uniform) loitered outside the tennis courts/doctors surgery on Columbo st, asking passersby/commuters for money, which was supposedly for sponsorship. They were taking the money never to be seen again!
Really? As a parent of a child at LNS i find your comments outrageous as well as very stupid. Firstly it is school holidays so the only kids in the school are the ones doing extra lessons for GCSE’s and A levels . Secondly the catchment area of the school is London wide so very unlikely that a large group of kids hanging around locally would be LNS pupils.

You base your outrageous accusation on the fact there were boys in LNS uniform asking people to sponsor them either for raising money for the school or for a good cause-this they were doing yards from the school in full school uniform where they could be seen by teachers public and the police and you imply they were taking the money never to be seen again-seen by whom-the school you? You have no proof that the boys did anything more than collect money and take it back to the school yet from this you think they turned into a marauding gang that mugged an innocent person- I’m sorry but yours really is one of the most stupid and un thought out posts i have seen in all my years of posting on this site.

I would not say the LNS boys are angels as that would be un true but the school does have a great record on discipline –not just my thoughts see Ofsted etc and is one of the few local schools that do not need to have teachers/police stationed outside the school and at local stops to control the kids

I am very angry that such a silly post mars the reputation not only of my son and his friends but also of one of the few good local schools.

I witnessed the pupils taking the money. I subsequently contacted the school and was told there was no official school sponsorship taking place. And yes, I mentioned the pupils asking strangers on the street for sponsorship. Strangely I never saw any more pupils over the subsequent following weeks.

And regarding your comments about OFSted's report. A "good" rating really means nothing. This isn't a biased opinion it's fact. I have first hand knowledge of working for both Dfes and in London secondary schools. A "good" rating does not reflect the behaviour of the entire school population.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 10.02pm
Also witnessed about ten youngsters of around 15 years of age around that time .They were running out of Hatfields, aggressively shouting and picking up some police traffic cones to put in The Cut to try to stop the traffic. A gent passing by thoughtfully replaced them.Then they ran into Tesco & ran straight out again into Blackfriars Rd. Of course, there's nothing whatsoever for them to do in the centre of this huge city, so they feel the urge to cause mayhem, bless their little hearts.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 10.03pm
ninja999, please do not think that I disbelieve your post and was questioning it. Because I do believe it I was concerned that such attacks happened on my doorstep so made enquiries at the cycle shop about their CCTV. When I inquired they were surprised and asked if it was in the morning, 06.20am when told it was Tuesday evening they were even more surprised but they saw and heard nothing.I just hope their CCTV shows what happened.
If I were a policeman I would watch football on the Hatfield pitches next Tuesday evening from about 5pm to see what group play at that time.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 11.13pm
When we were looking for a secondary school for my oldest we went to every school in the area, including Nautical. Our impression of the school overall was very positive. We decided not to send him there solely because it's a boys' school and we thought it important that he learns how to learn to interact and communicate with girls from a young age, as we believe it's better for later relationships. We know quite a few boys who go to Nautical, and I agree, although no angels (why should they be at that age) they're definitely not criminal, so I find it quite irresponsible to cast aspersions as if the whole school produces nothing but little thugs. Not helpful at all. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions