London SE1 community website

Universal Credit

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 19 October 2017 1.49pm
"Come with me" she said.
Thursday 19 October 2017 2.31pm
Interesting to read this. I'm self employed and as we approach year end I know work is going to dry up and the struggle to keep head above water begins. Like you I dip in and out the the benefits system to keep afloat, but I dread UC and how I see it (not) functioning. I lead a hand to mouth existence with little in the way of savings, so the idea I have money from previous employment once finished to cover a six week delay is just a fantasy.

Under the old system, I know how stressful Self Employment could be but usually there was a solution. UC is destined to fail though not before many have been thrown under the bus, before ministers bite the bullet and accept the mistakes politically.
Thursday 19 October 2017 3.29pm
I know it's a disgrace - everyone on UC set up to fail - if self employed you have had it.
Benefits were set up to help people in need get back in their feet - not to destroy them both in actuality re living and mentally.
Thursday 19 October 2017 4.26pm
It's unbelievable isn't it. I have been listening to people's stories on LBC and the self employed seem to be really up against it.

I am returning to the belief that the Conservative party and all who vote for them are either evil or thick.
Thursday 19 October 2017 4.28pm
boroughonian wrote:
It's unbelievable isn't it. I have been listening to people's stories on LBC and the self employed seem to be really up against it. Thatcher's darlings.
I am returning to the belief that the Conservative party and all who vote for them are either evil or thick.
Thursday 19 October 2017 5.01pm
boroughonian wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
It's unbelievable isn't it. I have been listening to people's stories on LBC and the self employed seem to be really up against it. Thatcher's darlings.

Woops
Thursday 19 October 2017 6.37pm
From the few weeks I used the new service, I quickly discovered no one really understood how to deal with my on/off type of working. Under the old system you provided a monthly figure of earnings and they adjusted any benefit accordingly, that no longer seems to be how it works. Thankfully I didn't have long to deal with or indeed comes to terms with it, but I sensed it's going to be a problem over a sustained period.
Thursday 19 October 2017 11.27pm
yes Tolstoy - if you don't fit into their system you have had it - it's based on an archaic system that people work 9-5 - same hours each week -same wages - arriving same day each month - there are hundreds of thousands of working people full or part time that do not fit into that- self employed or not
It does not work - now I know it does not work on purpose because our lovely tory gov have no interest in fixing the problems that are catastrophic to people lives - this in my opinion is pure evil. They know the problems - they do not want to fix them. Heinous!
Friday 20 October 2017 12.15am
Kory wrote:
Not only that - when the UC eventually comes through - the loan is deducted at around (on 350) 32 a month from your benefit. Which leaves you in further poverty and never being able to catch up on the debt the UC has caused in the first place..

It would be worse than that now. The 350 would be deducted in 4 monthly instalments.

Most important though- Council Tax benefit is not covered in the not Universal Credit and the morons who work for UC won't tell you this. You are not entitled to backdate it because it's your fault for not being psychic. Ahh the intelligence level of tories knows no depths. Trouble is, all tories are so extremely thick that the ones that aren't evil on purpose are too thick to know what they are. If only there was a party that was interested in supporting small business in the early stages so they can become great contributers to the economy later on. Theresa May probably can't understand why everyone doesn't just go to daddy. Worthless mess of a woman.
Friday 20 October 2017 10.08am
beetroot wrote:
Kory wrote:
Not only that - when the UC eventually comes through - the loan is deducted at around (on 350) 32 a month from your benefit. Which leaves you in further poverty and never being able to catch up on the debt the UC has caused in the first place..

It would be worse than that now. The 350 would be deducted in 4 monthly instalments.

Most important though- Council Tax benefit is not covered in the not Universal Credit and the morons who work for UC won't tell you this. You are not entitled to backdate it because it's your fault for not being psychic. Ahh the intelligence level of tories knows no depths. Trouble is, all tories are so extremely thick that the ones that aren't evil on purpose are too thick to know what they are. If only there was a party that was interested in supporting small business in the early stages so they can become great contributers to the economy later on. Theresa May probably can't understand why everyone doesn't just go to daddy. Worthless mess of a woman.

"Mummy," said the little girl, "are Tories born wicked, or do they just grow wicked afterwards?"

"My child," said mother, "all Tories are born wicked, and they grow worse."

(But does anyone know the source of that quotation?)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions