London SE1 community website

Universal Credit

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Friday 20 October 2017 9.27am
'They know the problems - they do not want to fix them. Heinous!'

I think it's more a case they can't afford to admit they've screwed up, both financially and politically, so are just crossing their fingers and hoping it settles down.
Friday 20 October 2017 9.43am
On Question Time last night, the very impressive CEO of NEXT (although I couldn't get Harry Enfield out of my mind) ruined Grayling.

He stated something that I hadn't come close to understanding before, he basically said that in this situation (RE:the 6 week wait), the Government should be the borrowers not the poor soul on his/her uppers. He explained the difference between the rates the Government could borrow at, compared to Joe Bloggs who would have to pay the highest rates out there. He feels that the payment should be in advance and not in arrears.

He is a Tory so I would add a third reason to be a Tory, born to it.
Friday 20 October 2017 9.52am
Tolstoy
The Tory Government have more than enough money ( the money tree) when/where they want to spend it- millions an appear from nowhere when they need it. I agree they won't admit there mistakes - in particular deliberate mistakes.
'To make a mistake once is a mistake - to make it again, keep making it - is a decision' . I think that is a bit of a misquote - but you know what I mean.

And yes re other posts - they don't tell you the UC does not include a CT reduction - that's a another great mess up-that you have to fight your self - still a year on going through it.

So actually apart from the horror/poverty of being on UC for some months - 18 months ago - I am still dealing with the debt/Rent arrears caused by UC - HMRC / NI calamities caused by it- The Council Tax calamities caused by it. Non of the latter - HMRC or COUNCIL - have a clue how to deal with it. No clue!
Friday 20 October 2017 11.21am
Wonderfully balanced comments as always
Friday 20 October 2017 12.05pm
Just to reiterate all my posts re UC are based on my experience - I know others who have had even worst experiences than me. Bear in mind- I am fit, active, resourceful, have professional skills, great CV, tenacious and hard working and as the UC advisor ( at the time) commented on many times - he had never seen anyone work so hard to find work. I have no dependents. I shudder to think what those going through the UC system with children and dependents go through. I am still dealing as said in other posts re the aftermath of UC. Re my case- comment from HMRC recently re my issues -'Its a mess' - comment from Southwark Council re my CT -'UC has caused a shambles here'. Comment from rep at NI 'UC has caused you a lot of problems- I have never seen anything like this'.

Putting my experience aside-What ever your political opinion - the Tory Government have been made aware even by some of their own MPs and professional bodies/charities etc/councils and HAs for a long time of the failings and enforced calamity/poverty that UC has created. Even the person who designed the UC system - says the government failed it. The PM/Government abstained re the UC vote - that says it all.
Wednesday 25 October 2017 1.02pm
To be honest with the exception of one person ( I use the word person as not going to write on here what I think he was) who rejoiced in my suffering- everyone I met working of UC knows it does not work and have been empathetic. Everyone, I have encountered ( bar 1) knows the system is setting you up to fail. Causes suffering, does not encourage you to work and is also un -workable across the board.
Wednesday 25 October 2017 6.20pm
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
Wonderfully balanced comments as always

I've learned my lesson about trying to decipher a person's tone, but if that post is ironic, then Balance it up.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions