London SE1 community website

Drinking outside the pub - when is there too many

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Saturday 14 May 2016 12.51pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
If smoking inside pubs was allowed like it used to, there would be fewer people crowding the pavements outside...

Sorry, but no, if there's one generic thing that can be said about the people crowding the pavements it's that they're not out there to smoke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smirting
Saturday 14 May 2016 2.50pm
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
If smoking inside pubs was allowed like it used to, there would be fewer people crowding the pavements outside...

Sorry, but no, if there's one generic thing that can be said about the people crowding the pavements it's that they're not out there to smoke.

Haha! That actually made me laugh out loud!
Saturday 14 May 2016 4.17pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Jules62 wrote:

Haha! That actually made me laugh out loud!

Whatever it takes to prove a point... ;-)
Saturday 14 May 2016 5.04pm
In shoreditch a cafe owner has had a second fine of one hundred pounds for putting a plant pot in front of her cafe! Perhaps if it had a fag...pint in the pot it would have been okay! On London itv .news in photo the pots were tiny
Saturday 14 May 2016 5.53pm
Jan the old one wrote:
In shoreditch a cafe owner has had a second fine of one hundred pounds for putting a plant pot in front of her cafe! Perhaps if it had a fag...pint in the pot it would have been okay! On London itv .news in photo the pots were tiny

It should be noted, however, that being being "hit with a second time" is not exactly proper use of the English language (and it takes an Italian like myself to point this out).

Also, I see four plant pots while the article mentions one: which of the four do the two fines apply to?
Saturday 14 May 2016 8.24pm
I should point out that I'm in favour of having pubs, cafes, bars, where I live. I don't want to live anywhere where the social life is curtailed. (Forgive me if I'm not expressing my self that well.) It adds to the general culture of any area and is very important to all our well-being. But there needs to be a happy medium, i.e. it has to be appreciated that it's not just drinkers (and I am one) who use the thoroughfares. We now drink and eat outside a lot (and the smoking ban forced this to some extent) and I think that's great. Now the pavement has become part of the pub/bar and people happily gather there. And luckily (!!) what with global warming (ok on dodgy ground here) the weather is never too harsh to keep us indoors. It's just that I think we have to be thoughtful and, dare I say, civilised about it. So please keep the pavements open.
Saturday 14 May 2016 10.46pm
yeah I agree with that sentiment. It's not that often the weather is so good it's possible for it to happen outdoors late into the evenings. If I have my stroller I just walk around the crowds. It's no big deal.
Sunday 15 May 2016 10.31am
Not such a busy thoroughfare, but I couldn't believe what I saw outside the Gladstone the other day, there were crowds on 3 corners drinking, must've been noisy.
Zoe
Monday 16 May 2016 7.51am
It's a major problem in SE1 and I think Lambeth and Southwark need to be firmer. It's alright saying that it's lovely having a street culture, but the noise is terrible and drinkers are filling the pavements and staying until very late at night, often past midnight. It can be a real blight on your life if you live next to a bar, why should one business dominate a street in this way.

It's really not acceptable that local people have to put up with this and it wouldn't happen in posh areas, eg the limits put on concerts in Hyde Park.
Monday 16 May 2016 8.34am
Roupell Street seem to have some success in getting the Kings Arms to be considerate. Would be interesting to know how they achieved this. I was outside in the garden part of the pub near the Cutty Sark last year and we were hassled by the bar staff to go indoors at 9pm. They were most insistent because they said they would lose their licence. I assume the early closure of the garden was because of the residences close by. Obviously Greenwich are good at forcing pubs to stick to their conditions, but I suspect the neighbour's had had to work hard to get the council to act. I agree, Lambeth and Southwark need to act more firmly with businesses causing a nuisance.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions