London SE1 community website

Drinking outside the pub - when is there too many

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Monday 16 May 2016 8.43pm
We have the same problem trying to get into Nelson Square from Union Street. The pavement outside the Lord Nelson pub is often jam packed in the evenings, making it really difficult to get past. I find a polite but loud "Excuse me" sometimes does the trick, if not I stand there until they move.
Monday 16 May 2016 9.54pm
Yes, it's the same in almost every pub. I guess only in the West End they really enforce leaving the pavement free for people to get through.
Monday 16 May 2016 10.13pm
To stick up a bit for some landlords and Southwark council, at the Libertine on Great Suffolk Street the bar staff regularly come out to shepherd drinkers to one side of the pavement when it's busy, explaining the requirement of their licence to keep the path passable. Unfortunately some idiots don't care and ignore them as soon as they're out of sight. For the bar staff it's a Sisyphean task and I don't envy them.

To declare an interest, I love pavement drinking. But I don't think Simon the Tanner should have a licence for outdoor drinking: the path is too narrow and Long Lane too busy.
Monday 16 May 2016 10.34pm
The Miller on Snowsfield had a crowd all the way out to the metal barriers tonight. That's only going to get more difficult to pass through the summer.
Tuesday 17 May 2016 5.00pm
Shout out for the Woolpack on Bermondsey Street where the staff ensure no-one drinks on the street outside the front of their pub, even though they are well within their rights to let them do so until 10pm. I have no affiliation with them apart from the odd drink there!
Wednesday 18 May 2016 4.33pm
Hi Everyone,

I share your frustrations. I think the Highways Act of 1980 might be used:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/part/IX/crossheading/obstruction-of-highways-and-streets
Best wishes,
Clive
Wednesday 18 May 2016 4.48pm
PeteStaples wrote:
To stick up a bit for some landlords and Southwark council, at the Libertine on Great Suffolk Street the bar staff regularly come out to shepherd drinkers to one side of the pavement when it's busy, explaining the requirement of their licence to keep the path passable. Unfortunately some idiots don't care and ignore them as soon as they're out of sight. For the bar staff it's a Sisyphean task and I don't envy them.

To declare an interest, I love pavement drinking. But I don't think Simon the Tanner should have a licence for outdoor drinking: the path is too narrow and Long Lane too busy.

I think Great Suffolk Street is far, far too residential for that lark. I really think it's disrespectful.
Thursday 19 May 2016 8.37am
Do you mean in terms of pedestrian access or noise? If the latter, in my limited experience the Libertine is pretty empty by half 9 on a friday or saturday. But drunk people are indeed noisy and annoying.
Saturday 21 May 2016 8.42am
Just so people are aware, drinking outside pubs is not an automatic. You can stand outside to smoke as long as not blocking the highway but glasses are not allowed outside unless there is a designated licensed area which is obtained through both licensing and highways from the council.

It is not a given that it is allowed, and I am not even sure that The Libertine is licensed accordingly. Certainly up to a couple of years ago there was nothing in place so far as I am aware. The previous licensees put the wooden seats outside without permission, and there was plenty of argument about them, as they did not allow sufficient passage on the pavement and the pedestrian crossing would get blocked. External A boards on the pavement have to be licensed for the same reason.

Both the police and Southwark Council have been very much on the case regarding external drinking over the last couple of years so if people are unhappy, they should contact Southwark Licensing.
Saturday 21 May 2016 11.00pm
I don't know about its licence but they roped off the area around the benches at the Libertine yesterday, to keep punters from spreading across the whole footpath. So that's some sort of progress
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions