London SE1 community website

Five-week wait for a GP appointment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 3 January 2017 12.09am
I’ve received a letter recently from NHS England (London) advising that from 16th January 2017, the current partnership of Falmouth Road Group Practice (Dr Raana and Dr Onojeje-Oraka) will no longer be providing medical services and have been given notice cancelling their Care Quality Commission registration. This is because, it said, that the practice has been in ‘special measures’ since July 2015 following its first inspection by the CQC in April 2015 and since then the concerns had not been sufficiently addressed. It is appointing a caretaker practice who will be responsible for the practice to make improvements to the overall services and care.
Wednesday 4 January 2017 7.49pm
Our surgery has good doctors and is very clean and chemist attached to it. , but also same as you, at times a five week wait which annoys me, at times if your lucky you can get one same week with locum. they have daily emergency appointments but you have to get through on phone in time to get one. They have 10K patients and still taking on more. It seems to be this way with a lot of surgeries now in London and inner Essex...to many patients being taken on when they cant cope with ones they got.
Wednesday 4 January 2017 7.59pm
People should know also you can go to guys hospital which has a doctor there 8am to 8pm 7 days a week, I have been there when could not get appointment with my doctor, they also have nurse there as well. So if you are worried about your child or you yourself are sick or hurt yourself go to guys hospital. its on ground floor to the right side as you go through the doors. When I last went for pain a doctor asked me there why I didnt see my own doctor, so I told her straight, because I got to wait five week for appointment and I am in pain now. They are also good for week end when your doctors is not open..Guys hospital at London Bridge...they dont have your medical records to hand so best to take list of any meds you are on conditions allergies tell them etc, but its another option when you cant see your own gp.
Wednesday 4 January 2017 11.36pm
Thanks- that is really useful lady Writer- Happy New Year
Friday 6 January 2017 10.28am
I recently had an appointment with Falmouth road surgery that I waited 3 weeks for, only to have the surgery call me an hour before the appointment to tell me the doctor had called in sick and I'd have to make another appointment. I think this surgery is under a lot of strain at the moment - two doctors have been sacked, one is sick and the others don't work on a Friday
Friday 6 January 2017 1.23pm
Dr Oraka is a really nice Doctor Doctor so his going is a shame. From reading the report it seems a lot of the issues are on the admin and running side rather than care side there does seem to be a shortage of Doctors -for 7,000+ patients they just don't seem to have enough-it has been really hit and miss appointment wise this past year or so sometimes you can get on within a week and other times it is a 3 week wait. There always seems to be loads of admin staff sitting around dong nothing and not enough Doctors
I thought about changing Doctors but the other nearest one is Decima street which gets loads od negative feed back so not such a good option

guess will wait and see what the new regime is like
Saturday 7 January 2017 6.39pm
I guess the system is crazy now with appointments for doctors, hospitals. Only if you can afford private treatment do you get seen quickly I think. GPs are becoming more over loaded with patients and if some dont conform to certain regulations they are closed down leaving less doctors around. Years ago when I was much younger then now, I could walk into my old Doctors and see him straight away. It was more personal and knowing your patients. Now they have so many they have to think when you walk in the door. They rely on their pc screens to check you out. Remember the days before pcs came in and they did it all on paper, ooops giving my age away, Nope not as old as you think. LOL.
Sunday 8 January 2017 12.56am
Does not the '1968' in your tag reveal your age?
Monday 9 January 2017 9.03am
Five week is not so bad. I know some who had to wait for 3 months. It is ridiculous. The system is clearly broken and politicians don't really care about it. Private treatment is a the way to go (if you have money, obviously).

Tuesday 10 January 2017 11.32am
Does anyone know of a private GP practice in SE1?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions