London SE1 community website

New E&C plan unveiled

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 26 May 2016 9.16pm
"Southwark Council has yet to draw up a policy for affordable housing provision in large-scale private rented sector developments such as this."

Sums it up.
Thursday 26 May 2016 10.27pm
I think the money from the developers that they are obliged to spend on affordable, or part rent, or social, or council housing will be handed over to Transport for London to re-build the tube station.
'Poor-door' problem sorted.
Friday 27 May 2016 8.59pm
That's pretty dreadful, but what we've come to expect.
Friday 27 May 2016 9.51pm
sjac wrote:
Well designed tower clusters can actually be quite bright and vibrant places to live - San Francisco, Vancouver, and New York all have great examples. The individual flats will retain a lot of light given their height, and from first glance at the plans it looks like the tower placement will allow for a decent amount of sunlight on the public spaces and will minimise the reduction of light on existing buildings. I'm sure there will be an epic amount of scrutiny over every last detail, but certainly looks better than what we've got now!

I can't say i've ever found towers in london much other than incongruous and impersonal, with the exception of Canary Wharf where they're just impersonal. I'm not a fan. When I arrived 10 years ago I found Elephant & Castle ugly and intimidating but with character. Then as time went on I got to like the character, stopped finding it intimidating and liked the ugliness because it helped keep the rent cheap. Now the character is all going to be swept away and replaced by new vacant, expensive, clean (temporarily) tall ugliness.
Saturday 28 May 2016 2.26pm
I know this is controversial but I really like the plan. Shabby chic only works so far and the current E&C is well past that.

My only concern is that the Walworth Road still feels a lot ignored. Hopefully there is a plan for that too.
Saturday 28 May 2016 3.27pm
Popped across to the exhibition today. Tiny signs you could easily miss, the windows of the old shop unit were obscured and there was a bouncer outside. It seems you aren't allowed in unless you give your name and contact details. This is not a public consultation by any stretch of the definition. I wonder how many others decided not to bother under those conditions... Not a great way to enlist public support for your proposals.

Can't help thinking doing it ion the bank holiday weekend isn't going to help attendance figures either.
If the development is a good one, let people see it and you will get support. What do they have to hide?
Saturday 28 May 2016 5.06pm
Sounds a bit paranoid to me. Its been widely publicised. Maybe giving your name and contact details is to keep you informed. If you're not happy with that just make up some details or decline. I'm sure you would not be denied access. Previous exhibitions at the shopping centre have been very similar.
Sunday 29 May 2016 2.35pm
I did decline, politely. I was rounded upon and rudely asked to leave unless I gave my details, so I left. Having read above how this company has operated in the past I am not surprised they were very controlling. I am not being paranoid and would gladly have left details if I had wanted to make comments or wanted to be kept informed on things. I just think that if they want to reach out to as wide a demographic as possible, they need to be as accessible as possible to all. Having a bouncer and taking names at the door will not encourage the wider community to have a say.
Monday 30 May 2016 5.19pm
Still find it hard to believe the Coronet is slated for demolition - madness to be demolishing one of the few old buildings we have left in the area and a rather beautiful (on the inside at least) one at that.
Monday 30 May 2016 7.32pm
Just expressing my experience
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions