London SE1 community website

Safe entry to St Thomas's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 6 June 2016 7.20am
John C wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
No problem for pedestrians, as long as the cyclists stop for the red lights.

Will there be red lights? I haven't seen the plans for this particular bus-stop, but the similarly situated island bus-stops on the recently opened cycle highways on Blackfriars Road, the Embankment, E&C etc don't have lights protecting pedestrian access to them - simply a raised area in the cycle track between the island bus-stop and the pavement. We were recently told on this forum that in Denmark in such situations, when a bus is at the stop, cyclists are required by law to STOP and give way to passengers getting on and off it. As far as I know there is no such law in this country and nothing (yet) in the Highway Code advising either pedestrians or cyclists how to behave. And any cyclist riding on something described as a 'superhighway' might be justified in expecting a pretty clear run.

Well you certainly don't get a clear run on the superhighway from Farringdon to Southwark, rightly or wrongly.

Surely just a zebra crossing by the bus stop would be enough to show cyclists what was required of them.
Monday 6 June 2016 8.31am
Guy's street wrote:
John C wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
No problem for pedestrians, as long as the cyclists stop for the red lights.

Will there be red lights? I haven't seen the plans for this particular bus-stop, but the similarly situated island bus-stops on the recently opened cycle highways on Blackfriars Road, the Embankment, E&C etc don't have lights protecting pedestrian access to them - simply a raised area in the cycle track between the island bus-stop and the pavement. We were recently told on this forum that in Denmark in such situations, when a bus is at the stop, cyclists are required by law to STOP and give way to passengers getting on and off it. As far as I know there is no such law in this country and nothing (yet) in the Highway Code advising either pedestrians or cyclists how to behave. And any cyclist riding on something described as a 'superhighway' might be justified in expecting a pretty clear run.

Well you certainly don't get a clear run on the superhighway from Farringdon to Southwark, rightly or wrongly.

Surely just a zebra crossing by the bus stop would be enough to show cyclists what was required of them.

Yes, of course it would - but TfL seem to be reluctant to consider such options, or the hospital trust to agree to them.
Monday 3 April 2017 5.55pm
Why are they putting the cycle lanes on the outside of the road and not in the middle?
Who does this make sense to?

Blackfriars Road where this has already happened to is now a dangerous mess if you're travelling by bus; you can be hit by a car, bus or bicycle at any time.
Zoe
Monday 3 April 2017 8.31pm
I really can't agree that Blackfriars Road is a 'dangerous mess', I take buses all the time (and walk, cycle and drive) and that's just not true.
Monday 3 April 2017 9.26pm
Blackfriars is dangerous if your a pedestrian you now have cars bus and bikes coming from all angles I have seen 2 pedestrians knocked down in the past week!
Tuesday 4 April 2017 12.40pm
You can't get knocked down if you use your eyes, even if a vehicle is breaking the law and running the red light, which of course doesn't count for the bikes on most of blackfriars, so use eyes. Easy.
Tuesday 4 April 2017 3.38pm
If you're on a bus from Elephant and Castle towards Blackfriars and you get off before Southwark tube station, you're literally in the middle of the road and the traffic lights are nowhere near you (some other genius probably thought that was ok too). So you either cross the street there with cars and bicycles coming from all directions or you walk (in the middle of the road remember) towards the nearest traffic lights with most of the traffic coming behind you. It's mind boggling. No regard for the pedestrian or bus users whatsoever.
Wednesday 5 April 2017 4.08pm
BoyG wrote:
If you're on a bus from Elephant and Castle towards Blackfriars and you get off before Southwark tube station, you're literally in the middle of the road and the traffic lights are nowhere near you (some other genius probably thought that was ok too). So you either cross the street there with cars and bicycles coming from all directions or you walk (in the middle of the road remember) towards the nearest traffic lights with most of the traffic coming behind you. It's mind boggling. No regard for the pedestrian or bus users whatsoever.

Sorry, BoyG, I don't understand this.

If you get off the bus before the 'Southwark Station' stop - in other words, at the 'Pocock Street' stop - yes, I see that you can walk north along the reservation between the cycle-way and the main road towards the traffic lights by The Cut - it's not very wide, but it's physically possible, as long as you don't mind clambering past the bicycles parked in the racks there. But, because of the placement of the racks, it's clearly NOT an intended pedestrian route.

What TfL obviously intend you to do is cross the cycle-way from the bus-stop to the main pedestrian pavement on the west of the road and continue your journey north or south there. Of course, if you actually want to cross Blackfriars Road itself from the bus-stop to get to the east side, this may add 5 yards to your journey by the time you get to the traffic lights or other marked crossing point.

There's a raised section of the cycle-way immediately beside the bus-stop for your use and the convenience of wheelchairs/baby buggies. And, except in the rush-hour, it's easy enough to cross (as long as you look both ways first). In the rush-hour there may be a lot of cyclists in a hurry to get home or to work, so you have to be careful and might actually have to wait for the peloton to pass!

I've no idea what the legal status of these raised crossing-points is, or how cyclists are supposed to treat them. TfL seem to be experimenting with them. The actual 'Southwark Station' stop, north of the railway bridge, now has a small but fully-fledged zebra crossing across the cycle-way. The one further south, by St George's Circus, has zebra markings and cyclist stop lines, but no beacons.
Thursday 6 April 2017 7.08pm
Beetroot, you need eyes all round your head in Blackfriars at the moment.
I was walking through the church yard at Christ Church this morning and a cyclist came whizzing towards me. Not aware that this was part of the cycle super highway.
Zoe
Thursday 6 April 2017 9.53pm
I do wonder if I am walking everyday down the same road as everyone else. The only part of crossing I find dangerous is on the actual road as there is a long stretch with no crossing and I have to peep out between the cars. Or plan my journey to use the crossing but that's a bit of a pain.

There really is no stretch where there are bikes, cars and pedestrians coming at you, it's actually become more ordered now. I don't see why getting off on the floating pavement is an issue, just walk down it until you can cross.

Oh and this morning I had to jump back because a cement mixer shot through the lights, but are we really going down the anecdotal route again to prove points? Saying it repeatedly doesn't change the facts that cyclists and drivers are each as likely to break the law.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions