London SE1 community website

Voting implements

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 26 June 2016 10.06pm
33,577,342 voted at the referendum. Rules state that each polling station may not be used by more than 2,500 electors.

This means that there were about 13,431 polling stations. If the security services were to cover them all with infiltrators hell bent on amending ballot papers, they quite simply would not have had the required number of personnel, and even if they did how on earth would have they been able to hood wink those counting the votes?

Monday 27 June 2016 8.44am
Jules62 wrote:
33,577,342 voted at the referendum. Rules state that each polling station may not be used by more than 2,500 electors.
This means that there were about 13,431 polling stations. If the security services were to cover them all with infiltrators hell bent on amending ballot papers, they quite simply would not have had the required number of personnel, and even if they did how on earth would have they been able to hood wink those counting the votes?

But of course if anyone had really wanted to sabotage your vote they wouldn't need to erase the cross you've put in one box - they'd simply add a cross in the other box, making your ballot paper invalid.
Zoe
Monday 27 June 2016 9.47am
It's actually quite an insult to the thousands of people who work the elections and who are committed to ensuring the election goes properly, to suggest they are all part of a big conspiracy, as well as seriously over estimating the capability of the government to do it.

It's a serious crime to interfere with an election, and those senior managers who work as returning officers know they are personally responsible for the security of their ballot.

If you attend a count you'll see security, they are part of taking in the boxes, which is all scanned in and then tracked. If you are ever the first person at a polling station you may well be asked to view that the box is empty prior to the seals being added. Equally, if you are the last person you may be asked to witness the final seals. The boxes are then taken to the count and guarded at all times.

No one is changing votes! I didn't like the outcome but I am confident it's what people voted for.
Monday 27 June 2016 11.28am
Behind the scenes Zoe it is more involved than I thought, thank you for that.😀 I would like to explain that I admit to my mathematical skills are sadly lacking, but voting leave does not make me racist!

Signed Jantoo
Mother in law to a spaniard
Grand mother in law to a peaceful Muslim
Grand mother to a South African, and a gorgeous Spanish beauty.
Great grand mother to a Brazilian
Aunty to West Indian
And so on...
Race is not skin colour when you hold a child in your arms.
Monday 27 June 2016 12.45pm

What a fantastic saying above is

And lets not forget - noone asked to be born
Monday 27 June 2016 4.25pm
Voting leave does not make you racist. However, the way the leave campaign used racism and xenophobia was undeniable.

What is also undeniable is that many non-racist, non-xenophobic leave voters, with completely legitimate desires for Brexit, were complicit in allowing this racism to be used to further their agenda.

They may not be racist per se, but they hitched their saddle to that horse. And for that they deserve condemnation. A different kind of condemnation to racism, but condemnation nonetheless.
Monday 27 June 2016 6.21pm
rhiannon wrote:
Voting leave does not make you racist. However, the way the leave campaign used racism and xenophobia was undeniable.
What is also undeniable is that many non-racist, non-xenophobic leave voters, with completely legitimate desires for Brexit, were complicit in allowing this racism to be used to further their agenda.

They may not be racist per se, but they hitched their saddle to that horse. And for that they deserve condemnation. A different kind of condemnation to racism, but condemnation nonetheless.
What sanctimonious claptrap.
Monday 27 June 2016 6.38pm
Peter Davis wrote:
rhiannon wrote:

What sanctimonious claptrap.

It's all about where you decide to pitch your tent. Want to do so near Nigel, then be sure to have the thick skin required to endure the inevitable criticism that occurs by reason of guilt by association...
Monday 27 June 2016 6.48pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Behind the scenes Zoe it is more involved than I thought, thank you for that.😀 I would like to explain that I admit to my mathematical skills are sadly lacking, but voting leave does not make me racist!
Signed Jantoo
Aunty to West Indian
And so on...
Zoe
Monday 27 June 2016 9.14pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Signed Jantoo
Aunty to West Indian
And so on...

It's even more involved than that behind the scenes, you would probably find it quite interesting as there is months of planning for every election. I think we should have a documentary about it (which would also reassure people once they see everything that is done).

I don't think you are racist for voting Leave! You have the right to vote anyway you want. I do think most racists voted Leave, but that isn't the same as everyone who voted Leave is racist, it's also clearly not true as I know lots of people who voted Leave who aren't racist. The Leave campaign used horrible racism to win however and it's let a very nasty genie out of the bottle, I hope everyone, Leave or Remain, will be part of fighting the racism we have seen.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions