London SE1 community website

Skateboarders at the Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
jpm
Monday 27 June 2016 2.39pm
It does seem beyond belief that TfL didn't anticipate that skateboarders would use the street furniture in this way - as they have been using such furniture for at least the last 10 years.

There's a clear and obvoius market for 'skateboarder-resistant' furniture and has been for donkeys. If the TfL planners didn't manage to think about this, goodness knows what else they haven't managed to think about.
Monday 27 June 2016 2.40pm
I like skate-boarders, they're part of the urban landscape. In my opinion they're predominantly peaceful, not like those tons of kids cycling down Southwark Street etc kicking at cabs etc (not a rant against cyclists, just against this particular lot). Would be interesting to find out whey this particular street furniture is not protected by these metal knobs: cost? Design? Stupidity? Or maybe because what damage skate-boarding does is tolerated? It's not out-and-out vandalism after all.
Monday 27 June 2016 4.15pm
I have no problem with boarders, and signed the petition to prevent the Southbank Centre's undercroft from being developed into a retail space that would have caused the demise of London's most famous skateboarding venue.

I'm not anti skating: I'm pro sitting. This is what benches are for.

Given that the distance between the Faraday Memorial and the Southbank Skatepark is only one mile, I must surmise that the E&C boarders do not feel confident that they are yet good enough for the Southbank, so they practice elsewhere before they feel skilled enough to play with the 'big boys'...

Tuesday 28 June 2016 10.56am
The piazzas have turned out just as lovely and Mediterranean as planned, haven't they?

The bit at the Faraday Memorial can't be used because the skate boarders chase away anybody who sits down. The bit in front of Metro Central Heights is OK to sit, as long as one doesn't mind the slush of beer, vomit, glass and general filth. Lots of street drinkers swigging White Lightning from 2 litre bottles as predicted.
Wednesday 29 June 2016 8.23am
Maybe we could threaten them with soap and hot water! ;-)
Saturday 2 July 2016 6.26pm
SO depressing that all this ridiculous project has turned out JUST as we predicted...pointless, expensive, and finally nothing resembling the "enhancement" we were promised. The skateboarders make a hell of a racket, and when I challenged them I got a right earful. There are skate boarding parks, including in Burgess Park where they could use purpose built areas. Until we get a population with some sort of civic pride and responsibility we are doomed to live in litter and louts.
Monday 4 July 2016 11.55am
I am surprised the numerous benches don't seem to be used by drunks, there used to be quite a few guys drinking at the entrance of the shopping centre in recent years...are they also taken on by the skateboarders?
I'd rather have skateboarders than groups of scary drunks with dogs, as long as they do not damage the benches and allow people to sit down obviously... I think the design is at fault really.
Noise wise, what about this guy singing Christian songs with a microphone and speaker so loud I could hear him from our house, two streets away....
Monday 4 July 2016 12.22pm
Jackie, There are no facilities for skateboarders at Burgess Park.
Monday 4 July 2016 2.02pm
There are skateboarding facilities at Kennington Park - even closer to the Elephant and Castle than Burgess Park.
Tuesday 5 July 2016 5.03pm
I'm Ok with skateboarders if they don't vandalise as part of the activity and they are respestful to others. Which they fail on both counts. I don't want people to feel afraid to sit down on a public bench. This weekend Skateboarder were at 3 locations at the elephant, London College of Communication, The New Square and St Marys Churchyard. These spaces are for the public to enjoy without the fear of being abused or knocked over. A few of my elderly neighbours are really scared about passing through these areas.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions