London SE1 community website

Skateboarders at the Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 11 July 2016 4.12pm
Goodness knows, we remonstrated, lobbied, gnashed our teeth, wrung our hands and rent our garments enough over this ridiculous, expensive, pointless project...all to no avail. Why are public officials, whom we vote in and pay, totally impervious to our voices? We KNEW this damn roundabout 're-hash was going to be a fiasco. I despair, truly I do.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 4.32pm
I actually like the idea of the square very much (although it doesn't look anywhere as green as the artist's impression, but that's another matter...), BUT if they don't have the capacity or the money to maintain it, then there is no point in building it in the first place.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 7.04pm
Clever Marco...but now it IS built..what do you suggest?
Thursday 14 July 2016 10.05am
Put a fence around it and lock it :)

I can't see any other solution than policing and CCTV cameras. Very sad though, kids should respect public spaces, after all their parents pay for them too.
Friday 15 July 2016 1.47pm
MarcoC wrote:
Put a fence around it and lock it :)
I can't see any other solution than policing and CCTV cameras. Very sad though, kids should respect public spaces, after all their parents pay for them too.

These aren't kids...grown men generally (but probably still live me mummy I'm guessing).
Friday 15 July 2016 2.07pm
Indeed..the guys are adults. Don't know what that says about them, but they are surly and confrontational when challenged which is definitely not contributing to any "community spirit".
Monday 18 July 2016 1.08pm
One rode into the back of me today on Tower Bridge and flicked two v's at me as he carried on down the pavement, fortunately only brushed me but not really the point.
Tuesday 19 July 2016 3.09pm
... and now they've moved also in the space around the new Leisure Centre / One The Elephant. How long before this lovely area becomes like the Shopping Centre square?
Tuesday 19 July 2016 6.45pm
I wonder what the security at the leisure centre and one the elephant are doing about this. Why is the Elephant attracting so many boarders? Really is making the area look grubby again
Wednesday 20 July 2016 2.43pm
They are doing nothing. I wouldn't call them "security" anyway: just concierge sitting at their desks.
I guess the ground around the two buildings is public space, hence responsibility of the council, hence lots of money wasted in nice features not being mantained as usual.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions