Neil Coyle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 21
Monday 15 May 2017 11.40am
The fact that Cameron and Osborne quit within days of the result is absolute proof that their threats were lies, blatant no messing about, lies.
Monday 15 May 2017 12.25pm
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I think there is very little chance that Brexit will overturned, I'm not even sure it would be a good idea but people are fully entitled to fight for it. It seems more people are better informed about it now than they were before the Referendum. The campaigning from all sides was a disgrace, it should never have taken place under these circumstances. Apart from that, it was Farage who said "52-48 ...would be “unfinished business”." Unfinished business it is.

I accept that it's unfinished business, I accept that Scottish independence is unfinished business, but the Scots didn't start campaigning and demonstrating the day after the referendum. I can't accept spoiling tactics, even if I disagreed with the result.

Anyway, when did you start agreeing with Farage?

I didn't. I thought that before he voiced it. I still have nothing but contempt for the waste of space. Any sane person, no matter which side they are on, knew in advance that anything less than 60% would cause polarisation and divide the country. I would have accepted a 60/40 Leave vote. As it is, I find it irresponsible to go ahead without involving or listening to the 48% and as long as that doesn't happen, fighting Brexit is fully justified. The difference between Farage's "unfinished business" comment and my view on the subject is that his intention was to whip up the anger on which UKIP thrives whereas I would like to see a country reconciled.
Monday 15 May 2017 1.14pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
I think there is very little chance that Brexit will overturned, I'm not even sure it would be a good idea but people are fully entitled to fight for it. It seems more people are better informed about it now than they were before the Referendum. The campaigning from all sides was a disgrace, it should never have taken place under these circumstances. Apart from that, it was Farage who said "52-48 ...would be “unfinished business”." Unfinished business it is.

I accept that it's unfinished business, I accept that Scottish independence is unfinished business, but the Scots didn't start campaigning and demonstrating the day after the referendum. I can't accept spoiling tactics, even if I disagreed with the result.

Anyway, when did you start agreeing with Farage?

I didn't. I thought that before he voiced it. I still have nothing but contempt for the waste of space. Any sane person, no matter which side they are on, knew in advance that anything less than 60% would cause polarisation and divide the country. I would have accepted a 60/40 Leave vote. As it is, I find it irresponsible to go ahead without involving or listening to the 48% and as long as that doesn't happen, fighting Brexit is fully justified. The difference between Farage's "unfinished business" comment and my view on the subject is that his intention was to whip up the anger on which UKIP thrives whereas I would like to see a country reconciled.

Anger is not whipped up, it is possibly tapped into or even reflected or represented, but never whipped up.

My personal opinion is that we have to get Brexit out of the way and then, as a Nation (dirty word) take it from there. It has to be sensible, people knew what they were voting for, despite the insinuations of a thick electorate. There is no doubt in my mind that we will have another referendum within 5 years, how we act now determines how civilised that is.

However, the remain camp have a similar problem to Sturgeon, having lost once, the timing has to be perfect for a 2nd referendum for to lose again would be game over (well for a few years I suppose).
Monday 15 May 2017 10.59pm
boris wrote:
Are you saying you hate travellers?

No I'm not, I learned the hard way last year, when I was banned from a large National forum for saying that anyone who was content to have them around, and who carried the flag for them must be nuts.
So suffice it say that I don't see them as productive members of society, and while I view with disbelief anyone dumb enough to be happy to have them within 2 kilometres of their home, be assured that I don't want them within 15 kilometres of mine.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 8.18am
Please can I respectfully ask that the tangent about travellers goes no further and the thread discussion returns to the general election in Bermondsey & Old Southwark?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 8.41am
boroughonian wrote:
Anger is not whipped up, it is possibly tapped into or even reflected or represented, but never whipped up.

Maybe. Doesn't really matter, my point was that anger in people, no matter where it comes from, is channeled and given an outlet. Voters are taken for a ride. They run from one party to the next, depending on who tells them what they want to hear and I've never seen that more cynically exploited than by Trump and Farage. It's an skill, I'll grant that, because Nuttall is useless at it. Anyway, neither Trump or Nuttall will stand here and I completely support a return of Simon Hughes.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 9.58am
Indeed, I also completely support the return of Simon Hughes.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 10.18am
In an attempt to allow this thread to return to being about our last MP, rather than wider constituency/national issues, I've created a topic here (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/211794) for general election related chat/opinions/information.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 10.59am
better neil coyle who can't be loyal than st simon who did not save guys!
Tuesday 16 May 2017 11.01am
Actually he was spot on. It's all a question of perspective
Current: 11 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network