London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 21
Tuesday 16 May 2017 11.35am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Anger is not whipped up, it is possibly tapped into or even reflected or represented, but never whipped up.

Maybe. Doesn't really matter, my point was that anger in people, no matter where it comes from, is channeled and given an outlet. Voters are taken for a ride. They run from one party to the next, depending on who tells them what they want to hear and I've never seen that more cynically exploited than by Trump and Farage. It's an skill, I'll grant that, because Nuttall is useless at it. Anyway, neither Trump or Nuttall will stand here and I completely support a return of Simon Hughes.

Just the nature of politics, does the Labour party not play on fears RE the NHS?

Believe it or not, so do I.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 1.13pm
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Anger is not whipped up, it is possibly tapped into or even reflected or represented, but never whipped up.

Maybe. Doesn't really matter, my point was that anger in people, no matter where it comes from, is channeled and given an outlet. Voters are taken for a ride. They run from one party to the next, depending on who tells them what they want to hear and I've never seen that more cynically exploited than by Trump and Farage. It's an skill, I'll grant that, because Nuttall is useless at it. Anyway, neither Trump or Nuttall will stand here and I completely support a return of Simon Hughes.

Just the nature of politics, does the Labour party not play on fears RE the NHS?

Again, maybe, but what saddens me is that a party like UKIP has set a new low and that is what other parties seem to be dragged down to.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 1.46pm
kellandj wrote:
better neil coyle who can't be loyal than st simon who did not save guys!

Simon's campaign for Guy's was in part victorious. Labour closed emergency services at Guy's.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 2.02pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Again, maybe, but what saddens me is that a party like UKIP has set a new low and that is what other parties seem to be dragged down to.

What should sadden us all is that there was a niche for them. If there was no mainstream party offering a referendum at the last election, UKIP would've doubled that 4 million.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 2.29pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
kellandj wrote:
better neil coyle who can't be loyal than st simon who did not save guys!

Simon's campaign for Guy's was in part victorious. Labour closed emergency services at Guy's.

Margaret Beckett assured marchers that "no way will Guy's A&E close under a Labour government" she was up for leadership at the time so may have meant HER Labour government, not what she said though.

It's always made me wonder, that was a Conservative policy carried out by the new Labour government.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 2.40pm
I missed last night's hustings at Southwark Cathedral but have now seen the video (as always, thank you for this, James). While it was of some interest to see and hear 3 other candidates there is no doubt that anyone actually wanting to influence the outcome in B&OS needs to choose between Neil Coyle - the subject of this thread - and Simon Hughes. That situation is the inescapable result of our "first past the post" voting system.

As to Neil Coyle, he was personally vehement about his support for UK membership of the EU - almost to the point of denying that there had even been a referendum - but did not explain his party's equivocation on this vital subject. Also he provided no possible remedy for the situation. When queried about the clear Lib Dem policy of putting the finally negotiated deal to the people - the two options being as Simon Hughes explained, either accept the deal or reject it and stay in the EU - he said no, parliament must decide. Given the almost certain predominance of Conservative MPs muttering "strong and stable" in the next parliament, that is the road to nowhere for anyone who - like me - is deeply apprehensive about the prospects of an acceptable outcome to these crucial negotiations.
Tuesday 16 May 2017 4.57pm
denis loretto wrote:
I missed last night's hustings at Southwark Cathedral but have now seen the video (as always, thank you for this, James). While it was of some interest to see and hear 3 other candidates there is no doubt that anyone actually wanting to influence the outcome in B&OS needs to choose between Neil Coyle - the subject of this thread - and Simon Hughes. That situation is the inescapable result of our "first past the post" voting system.
Interestingand sorry to have missed hustings yesterday. Was not aware although presumably James did his usual SE1 daily alerts n
As ever in a democracy it Is vip to hear all points of view and will look forward seeing video soon
Thanks James. Certainly there seems bit more choice now so generally voters may not feel disenfranchised as this is often dangerous. I really despaired myself during the Cameron. Clegg Milliband. The 3 Stooges. No choice at all there
As to Neil Coyle, he was personally vehement about his support for UK membership of the EU - almost to the point of denying that there had even been a referendum - but did not explain his party's equivocation on this vital subject. Also he provided no possible remedy for the situation. When queried about the clear Lib Dem policy of putting the finally negotiated deal to the people - the two options being as Simon Hughes explained, either accept the deal or reject it and stay in the EU - he said no, parliament must decide. Given the almost certain predominance of Conservative MPs muttering "strong and stable" in the next parliament, that is the road to nowhere for anyone who - like me - is deeply apprehensive about the prospects of an acceptable outcome to these crucial negotiations.
Thursday 18 May 2017 6.45pm
Jeez, does Neil Coyle have nothing better to do than to waste police time? I am sure there are more important things they can be investigating. Surely you can only damage someone's reputation if they have one to begin with...

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/labour-candidate-neil-coyle-reports-lib-dem-rival-simon-hughes-police-false-statement/
Thursday 18 May 2017 9.02pm
dharle wrote:
Jeez, does Neil Coyle have nothing better to do than to waste police time? I am sure there are more important things they can be investigating. Surely you can only damage someone's reputation if they have one to begin with...
https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/labour-candidate-neil-coyle-reports-lib-dem-rival-simon-hughes-police-false-statement/

Coyle has previously threatened to sue his own party leader, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he is now setting the rozzers on his electoral opponent: par for the course for this man...
Thursday 18 May 2017 9.30pm
During my very brief time as a Labour party member/activist, I can assure you that if they could've, they would've outed Simon's personal business (if you know what I mean) by leaflet or any other means, it seemed to be the thing everyone concentrated on, none of that policy lark.

It's a dirty business alright.
Current: 12 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions