London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 21
Friday 26 May 2017 3.53pm
boroughbloke wrote:
I was going to hold my nose and vote for Hughes as a tactic to make sure Coyle doesn't win and on 9th June Labour is left in no doubt whatsoever that Corbynism is a cancer liability that needs to be removed. Then the Lib Dems deceptive letter proporting to be from a doctor rather than the Lib Dems arrived. With that I decided to vote Tory. Put simply; a pox on both their houses.

I really don't think it's appropriate to describe any politician as a cancer, I despise Farage, Nuttall, Griffin and the like buy would never sink to the level of calling them a cancer.
Friday 26 May 2017 4.04pm
While I agree the use of the word is inappropriate Edward, he didn't refer to any person, but an ideology "Corbynism".

I would never have ever dreamt of voting for Griffin, I personally think it's quite inappropriate and frankly, fanciful, to liken Farage and Nuttall to Griffin.

The latter two are not in the same political league as the former anyway.

At least Farage would've gotten rid of the bedroom tax, not sure the same can be said for Hughes.
Saturday 27 May 2017 5.25am
I didn't describe Mr Corbyn as a cancer. I'm sure he is a very nice man. Utterly deluded, but nice. The sooner he is gone as leader of the Labour Party, the better.
Saturday 27 May 2017 5.32am
Jules62 wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:
I was going to hold my nose and vote for Hughes as a tactic to make sure Coyle doesn't win and on 9th June Labour is left in no doubt whatsoever that Corbynism is a cancer liability that needs to be removed. Then the Lib Dems deceptive letter proporting to be from a doctor rather than the Lib Dems arrived. With that I decided to vote Tory. Put simply; a pox on both their houses.

Either Coyle or Hughes will be elected in this constituency.

Voting Tory will have the same effect as not voting at all.

It all boils down to having a say on which of the only two candidates with a chance one prefers, or hates the least...

In order; maybe, wrong and, once more, a pox their houses.
Saturday 27 May 2017 7.45am
Jules62 wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:

It all boils down to having a say on which of the only two candidates with a chance one prefers, or hates the least...

And that's exactly what's wrong with the First Past the Post electoral system - it disenfranchises massive numbers of voters and narrows political choice.

If only Blair had retained his enthusiasm for electoral reform after gaining his massive majority under the existing system in 1997.
Saturday 27 May 2017 10.24am
Rambling Phil wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:

And that's exactly what's wrong with the First Past the Post electoral system - it disenfranchises massive numbers of voters and narrows political choice.

If only Blair had retained his enthusiasm for electoral reform after gaining his massive majority under the existing system in 1997.

As far as the electoral system is concerned, one has to bear in mind that the Lib Dems favour proportional representation, while Labour and the Tories oppose it...
Monday 29 May 2017 8.22am
I wondered about the reference by boroughbloke to a "deceptive letter purporting to be from a doctor rather than the lib dems" which has inclined him towards voting Tory albeit he recognises this as opting out of the real contest in B& OS.

I think he must be referring to a letter from Dr Clare Gerada which has indeed also dropped into my letterbox. It is obvious that this letter has been copied and distributed by the Lib Dem organisation but I cannot see anything spurious about the letter itself. Dr Clare Gerada was indeed Chair of the Royal College of General Practitioners and according to Google is still a Fellow of the College, a Member and Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians. Clearly she wants to publicise her support for the policy of the Lib Dems not only to praise the NHS (as everyone does) but be prepared to ask all income tax payers to pay an extra one penny in the pound to help it out of its current financial crisis.
Monday 29 May 2017 11.17am
Who paid for the letter? On the face of it, it looks like it is directly from the Doctor and not a Lib Dem letter at all. I have to assume it is from the party, therefore it is misleading.

One other thing, it wasn't addressed to my wife or I, but to my young daughter.
Monday 29 May 2017 2.40pm
boroughonian wrote:
Who paid for the letter? On the face of it, it looks like it is directly from the Doctor and not a Lib Dem letter at all. I have to assume it is from the party, therefore it is misleading.

Dr Clare Gerada, Lady Wessely MBE, was a lifelong Labour supporter up to the Brexit referendum: she is Lambeth based and her Labour MP is firm brexiteer Kate Hoey so that explains her disillusionment with the party.

Dr Gerada is now an advisor to the Lib-Dems on health issues, and is also involved with More United, a cross-party political movement: perhaps it is the latter who paid for the flyers, or maybe she self published them...
Monday 29 May 2017 2.57pm
Jules62 wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

Dr Clare Gerada, Lady Wessely MBE, was a lifelong Labour supporter up to the Brexit referendum: she is Lambeth based and her Labour MP is firm brexiteer Kate Hoey so that explains her disillusionment with the party.

Dr Gerada is now an advisor to the Lib-Dems on health issues, and is also involved with More United, a cross-party political movement: perhaps it is the latter who paid for the flyers, or maybe she self published them...

Perhaps maybe we'll never know Jules. So she's leaving a remain party to support a remain party, makes sense. I wonder which government awarded her the MBE.

Anyway, I see this somewhere else and it made me laugh....

"Is that Neil coyle? I don't know anything about him to be totally honest, he might be the greatest mp , in the history of politics but he's either dumb, doesn't know his constituency or gets lost easy, because the other day someone claiming to be him (Ive never seen the bloke before so don't know if it was him in person ) knocked at my door asking me to vote for him I had to explain to him I live in lewisham not bermondsey and his constituency ends about 10 minutes down the road."
Current: 15 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions