London SE1 community website

Neil Coyle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 17 of 21
Friday 2 June 2017 9.27pm
I used to absolutely loathe the Labour Party and sadly there are still some of the loathsome candidates still around. Neil Coyle has been described to me as a decent chap but from his TV appearances and his views, I am not convinced by him.

I like Simon Hughes, but a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for the Conservative Party.

I don't recognise the Tories these days. May with her fox hunting, ivory trade, UKIP friendly and dementia tax. There's no way she's getting my vote.

My vote will probably go to Corbyn. So Neil, despite being an idiot will get my vote and hopefully we will have a fairer country for the many and not just the few.

This will be the first time I vote Labour. I'm not left wing but the rich are getting richer and food banks in my country? It's bad enough that people are starving on the planet but in the 6th biggest economy in the world? no. Something needs to change.
Friday 2 June 2017 9.44pm
intoprew wrote:
I like Simon Hughes, but a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for the Conservative Party.

Why is that? A vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for an excellent constituency MP who represents all of his constituents - or, to put it in Labour parlance, the many and not the few. From my dealings with him (or lack thereof) Coyle is definitely not a decent chap.
Friday 2 June 2017 10.11pm
intoprew wrote:
My vote will probably go to Corbyn. So Neil, despite being an idiot will get my vote and hopefully we will have a fairer country for the many and not just the few.
This will be the first time I vote Labour. I'm not left wing but the rich are getting richer and food banks in my country? It's bad enough that people are starving on the planet but in the 6th biggest economy in the world? no. Something needs to change.

A vote for Coyle isn't a vote for the Labour Party: it's a vote for Coyle's own take of Labour.

At least that's what he says, given his outspoken hatred of Corbyn...
Friday 2 June 2017 11.37pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
intoprew wrote:

Why is that? A vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for an excellent constituency MP who represents all of his constituents - or, to put it in Labour parlance, the many and not the few. From my dealings with him (or lack thereof) Coyle is definitely not a decent chap.

Depends which way you look at it. You are right, on a local level Hughes is fantastic, no doubt about it. In the grander scheme of things, intoprew is right, it is a vote for the Tories.
Friday 2 June 2017 11.48pm
But we're not going to change the world from here in "Bermondsey and Old Southwark", Boroughonian. I know you didn't like some of the promotional material from the Lib Dems, but think about who helps us real people when we need it and vote accordingly. A vote for anyone other than Simon Hughes is a vote for useless Coyle to be re-elected. Theresa May is in all likelihood going to get a majority anyway, however we vote here, so I think it comes down to local issues. Let's have a community champion who looks out for us normal folk, not some waster who's only interested in appearing if there is some publicity or a large crowd.
Saturday 3 June 2017 4.36am
I cannot stand Coyle, but the thought of another Conservative government frightens me. We all know what they ultimately want for social services etc. I've never been so confused. Hughes is close to home, family wise (not that I would vote for him on that basis), and he is a proven old school constituent MP. I wont be upset if he wins.

Not looking great according to the bookies https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/bermondsey-and-old-southwark/winning-party

Coyle's ridiculous claim that a vote for him is a vote for his kind of Labour party may well damage him though and that will not be reflected in the polls yet. Hughes' camp need to spend the rest of the campaign focusing on that.
Saturday 3 June 2017 3.48pm
The degree to which Neil Coyle is seeking to separate himself from his own party leader, despite having nominated Jeremy Corbyn for the leadership seems to have reached the point where he is virtually not regarding himself as the official Labour candidate but rather some sort of Independent Labour. If you think that is an extreme interpretation, just read the latest issue of Southwark News. This is an extract from an article directly quoting him just a few days ago -

"Mr Coyle says a vote for him is a vote for his “brand of Labour” in this election – not the Labour party. It doesn’t quite echo what he said the year he was elected, when he told the News he thought the electorate was “voting based on how people perceive the values of political parties”. But after denying he ever said a vote for him was a vote for Labour, the Bermondsey and Old Southwark candidate simply says it will be his name on the ballot paper on June 8.
And despite his open criticism of Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, he is adamant he doesn’t want to be the next party leader, or indeed prime minister, one day.
When asked what he has been doing on the doorstep to convince people to vote for him even if they don’t want Corbyn as leader, he remarks: “voters are not stupid”.

I am a supporter of Simon Hughes and the Liberal Democrats and frankly I don't have much time for Jeremy Corbyn but if I was not only a member of the Labour Party but an MP elected on the mandate of that party I cannot imagine showing such blatant disloyalty to my party leader.
Saturday 3 June 2017 5.39pm
denis loretto wrote:
if I was not only a member of the Labour Party but an MP elected on the mandate of that party I cannot imagine showing such blatant disloyalty to my party leader.

Agreed, 100%.
Saturday 3 June 2017 8.37pm
Just had a letter from the Labour party containing a picture of the actor who plays Lewis - I had no idea what his name was, so Googled it and it's Kevin Whately. I'm assuming its purpose is to encourage me to vote for the Labour party candidate because Kevin Whately says I should! Why, exactly, are his personal opinions supposed to influence me? Has anyone else received a similar letter, telling them everything that is wrong with the Tories?
Sunday 4 June 2017 8.23am
suziq wrote:
Just had a letter from the Labour party containing a picture of the actor who plays Lewis - I had no idea what his name was, so Googled it and it's Kevin Whately. I'm assuming its purpose is to encourage me to vote for the Labour party candidate because Kevin Whately says I should! Why, exactly, are his personal opinions supposed to influence me? Has anyone else received a similar letter, telling them everything that is wrong with the Tories?

I think that their thought process is, if the people receiving the letter like the TV show, it follows that they'll probably like the star.
So they just might think, "Oh, Kevin is voting Labour, Kevin is honest and true, he must be, he's a policeman, I'll vote the same as him."
Enter stage left, a crowd of grinning, inane idiots, vigorously waving their voting cards, rushing to complete their drip-fed instructions.
Current: 17 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions