London SE1 community website

Mercato Metropolitano

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Monday 1 August 2016 12.20pm
I went Saturday evening. Very pleasant, and a welcome addition to the area.

The shop is great, but the prices are quite aggressive. The whole site is a large area to fill and I don't think there's enough local demand to keep it going. It's only going to work if they can persuade large numbers of people that the Elephant & Castle is a good place to go for a night out.

And the outdoor surfaces are large shingle. I was wearing leather shoes and they looked seriously scuffed after the visit. I'm not sure I'll be going somewhere often if I have to polish my shoes after every visit.
Monday 1 August 2016 4.45pm
Went on Sunday morning, but it was a bit too early. If they say they open at 11, maybe the should make sure they're up and running by 11, not start everything up at 11. All that was available was (gorgeous) ice cream. The shingle surface is problematic to walk on... Entertainment was provided by a lady who runs one of the stalls shouting at her staff that "none of them are indispensable". The prices in the shop are prohibitive, although it is well stocked. Will be going back for lunch soon hopefully, the pizza oven looks promising.
Monday 1 August 2016 6.11pm
Shop prices are odd. Some things are super expensive while others are what you would expect.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 1 August 2016 8.20pm
Agree about the prices. Some things are good value whereas others are really expensive! We had a tasty ham/cheese platter which for 10 was a good size, but two small glasses of wine cost the same amount (you could buy the bottle for another 3, a much better deal).

The ice cream tasted good and I spied a pizza oven in the area still under development (at the back) so a return trip is definitely needed.

The site is huge so I'm sure they will need a lot of custom to be profitable. It's going to be tough but I wish them luck.
Monday 1 August 2016 11.28pm
I had a delicious pizza, large size, soft but chewy dough, not undercooked nor too crispy, fresh ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan - all super-authentic, expertly baked by real italians - 7. That is somewhat cheaper than any of the revolting chains such as Papa Johns, Dominoes etc...

Coffee prices were comparably with other place in SE1 - cheaper than Starbucks and some other chains.
Tuesday 2 August 2016 1.37pm
Went with the family on Saturday, the food court area is great, and the children loooooved the ice cream. The shop is on the pricey side - but i noticed a lot is organic, the deli counter seems reasonable, and very good choice. Very friendly though and helpful. Give it a few weeks and you'll not be able to move in there for people.
Wednesday 3 August 2016 5.04pm
I had a stroll round this afternoon. Very impressive, but almost deserted. Where do they expect customers to come from?
Wednesday 3 August 2016 5.12pm
I really love the place, but it's a massive gamble. It won't be easy to convince tourists to go all the way there, most Londoners still look down on Elephant and it's bit pricey for the current local population. Good luck to them anyway!
Thursday 4 August 2016 10.05am
Maybe they are counting on all those young professionals that will live in tiny rabbit hutches in all these brand new 40+storey buildings around the Elephant & Castle. They will die to go out in the fresh air and spend all their hard earned cash in homely Italian food.
Thursday 4 August 2016 1.01pm
Now that Bankside (between Westminster bridge and Shad Thames) is a well established visitors location, efforts are being made to extend the 'Bankside effect' southwards.

SoBo (South of Borough) is one such effort, and the people behind Mercato Metropolitano have got in early to stake their claim.

The corridor that runs between the Elephant & Castle and London Bridge (Newington Causeway and Borough High St) is bound to attract more and more 'quality' retail and foodie businesses.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions