London SE1 community website

Mercato Metropolitano

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Thursday 4 August 2016 1.24pm
Went last night. Completely agree - the food court stalls are lovely and the gelato (especially the black sesame) is divine. Can't wait to see who takes up the empty spaces.

But the shopping experience in the main building is definitely still on a learning curve......

Fruit flies over the fresh tomatoes making them inedible. Tills that (whilst staffed by 2 people) are apparently closed. And, when asking for a bag to put my purchases into, am shoved a plastic bag in my face whilst the girl behind till number 2 started talking to her friends. Oh, and being charged in euros.

I'm hoping that these are teething problems and that the very Italian approach to service will be tempered with some south east London hospitality.
Monday 15 August 2016 9.37am
Went to try the pizza last night and it was very bland and soggy and they had no napkins or cutlery, so it was a real mess to eat with our hands. They were very slow in taking orders. The chatting seems to be an issue every time I go there, be it at the supermarket stand or pasta stand (which I gave up last time)... maybe it is the laid back cool Italian approach to customer service, but if it gets any busier they will struggle to move their butts and will lose clients.
The icecream was delightful again but almost completely run out, only 3-4 flavours left.
On top of that, the whole premises had a problem with their licence and so they could no sell any alcohol yesterday, come on, on one of the few sunny Sundays we get! They've got to get their act together.
Monday 15 August 2016 10.31am
Clementina wrote:
I'm hoping that these are teething problems and that the very Italian approach to service will be tempered with some south east London hospitality.

I doubt you've ever been to Italy. I am currently there and the level of service is so courteous yet professional that I wish more representatives of SE London hospitality came over here to learn how it's done.
Monday 15 August 2016 12.13pm
Ordered a pizza, told it would take 10 mins. We were still waiting 40 mins later !
Monday 15 August 2016 12.18pm
I was there on Saturday. Pizza came quickly, was very good too. No problem with getting a beer either.
Saturday 27 August 2016 3.26pm
Worth noting that although they are normally shut on Mondays, they will be open on Bank Holiday Monday.

Meanwhile Newington Causeway and Borough High Street are fast becoming the new 'Little Italy' - Qvintessenza has opened just up the road today.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 16 September 2016 8.50pm
Did anyone local go to the opening of this Food Hall last night? Verdict?
Wednesday 5 October 2016 6.52pm
Had a walk around the food hall today, oh that's my type of place, didn't really notice prices tbh. I'll drag Mrs b down there on Sunday and buy some things we don't need. If you like a walk around the EV deli, you'll love this place.
Saturday 8 October 2016 9.30pm
Is there anywhere with live piano in SE1? I've yet to find it! Not the jazz place by waterloo station. Know that one. More of a tea shop feel please

Cotswolds 12
Sunday 9 October 2016 2.19pm
Expensive, In the food hall. I understand that imported stuff would be more expensive, but sticking another 2 on a French's Mustard is a bit of a con.

Nice coffee and a pistachio croissant thingy which was also very nice. The food seemed reasonably priced from the shacks.

That place will be very popular in the summer.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions