London SE1 community website

Mercato Metropolitano

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Monday 29 May 2017 6.50pm
MarcoC wrote:
Just heard (and I really hope it's not true) that Mercato will stay in its current site for just another year. Then it'll move, likely to Battersea.
I didn't think it was going to be a success (too pricey), but I'm glad I've been proven wrong.
It'll be a massive loss for the area.

Oh no :(

I'm a bit surprised by this as although they may get a slightly more affluent clientele that will surely be offset by the cost of renting a space the size they need in fancy-pants Battersea. Unless they are reimagining how they are structured.

I really hope you are wrong - but if you aren't, it has at least proven that businesses can be successful in that slight no-mans-land between E&C roundabouts and Borough. Hopefully someone else will try and set something up now that it has been proven people will travel there.
Monday 29 May 2017 8.30pm
Doodlebug1 wrote:
MarcoC wrote:
Just heard (and I really hope it's not true) that Mercato will stay in its current site for just another year. Then it'll move, likely to Battersea.
I didn't think it was going to be a success (too pricey), but I'm glad I've been proven wrong.

I'm a bit surprised by this as although they may get a slightly more affluent clientele that will surely be offset by the cost of renting a space the size they need in fancy-pants Battersea. Unless they are reimagining how they are structured.

I really hope you are wrong - but if you aren't, it has at least proven that businesses can be successful in that slight no-mans-land between E&C roundabouts and Borough. Hopefully someone else will try and set something up now that it has been proven people will travel there.

The problem is that the site owner (the Peabody Trust) has plans for the 'Borough Triangle' site were Mercato Metropolitano is currently located: this was always a temporary setting for MM.
Tuesday 30 May 2017 3.00pm
Jules62 wrote:
Doodlebug1 wrote:
MarcoC wrote:

The problem is that the site owner (the Peabody Trust) has plans for the 'Borough Triangle' site were Mercato Metropolitano is currently located: this was always a temporary setting for MM.

Ahhh, thanks for that - it makes more sense now. Sad though, it's been a real asset in the short time it's been here.
Monday 12 June 2017 10.25am
Spoke to staff on Sunday. They said that the Mercato would remain on site. No plans to move. There is another one planned for Battersea.
Monday 12 June 2017 11.41am
Riverside67 wrote:
Spoke to staff on Sunday. They said that the Mercato would remain on site. No plans to move. There is another one planned for Battersea.

The staff are probably the last to know when they are moving out...
Wednesday 14 June 2017 3.14pm
Doodlebug1 wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by this as although they may get a slightly more affluent clientele that will surely be offset by the cost of renting a space the size they need in fancy-pants Battersea.

I think Battersea is no longer fancier than Elephant, plus people are less likely to travel there, badly connected until the northern line extension opens, planned for 2020 that means at least 2025 :)
Wednesday 19 July 2017 6.34pm
My gripe is that it's not very kid friendly. Had to look hard to find soft drinks and what i could find was a pretentious cola at 4 for a 330ml can and even more for an organic fruit something or other. The Italian sausage sandwiches are crappy for 9 but the pizza is very good. If it goes it will just be replaced with a dull skyscraper so would rather it stayed.
Thursday 20 July 2017 7.58am
goatlaw wrote:
My gripe is that it's not very kid friendly...

There is a Nandos across the road for that sort of thing and, presumably, some McDonalds, too.
Thursday 20 July 2017 10.00am
Rambling Phil wrote:
goatlaw wrote:

There is a Nandos across the road for that sort of thing and, presumably, some McDonalds, too.
Rather harsh, Phil.
Personally, I think MM is fairly child-friendly. It's not cheap, but that goes for adults as well as children. But there's lots of great food choices, even for relatively fussy eaters, I'd have thought (not many kids who don't like pizza or pasta, in my experience).
In the daytime, there's lots of space for kids and I often see family groups...

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 20 July 2017 11.03am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Rambling Phil wrote:
goatlaw wrote:

Rather harsh, Phil.
Personally, I think MM is fairly child-friendly. It's not cheap, but that goes for adults as well as children. But there's lots of great food choices, even for relatively fussy eaters, I'd have thought (not many kids who don't like pizza or pasta, in my experience).

I agree. I'd rather spend a bit extra on good food for my kids than taking them to Nando's and especially Mc D., (nver been toa Mac D in my life, except to use their loos).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions