London SE1 community website

Mercato Metropolitano

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Thursday 20 July 2017 12.00pm
For a non child friendly place, there's an awful lot of children there on a Sunday afternoon. They have free run and you will often see seats/benches with no one sitting there but lots of paper and crayons spread about, which can be a little annoying when you're looking for a plot but overall, it's lovely.

What a thing sweet potato chips are!
Thursday 20 July 2017 12.13pm
When I used to take my children and now my grandchildren out for the day I never dream of going without a picnic for them, you can never guarantee what is going to be sold in places and often it is usually hugely overpriced, if I take a box for the children they have all their favourite things and we can buy extras or an ice-cream or the like if they want keeping everyone happy :)

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 20 July 2017 7.46pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Rambling Phil wrote:
goatlaw wrote:
My gripe is that it's not very kid friendly...

There is a Nandos across the road for that sort of thing and, presumably, some McDonalds, too.
Rather harsh, Phil.

Possibly harsh, but not meant antagonistically. I read your original comment as a warning rather than a complaint.

At any point in time, most households do not have children in them. There are plenty of facilities that cater for the minority that do have them, but there certainly needs to be spaces that aren't child-friendly - who doesn't want to have to share space with midget tyrants whenever they go out? I imagine even parents feel that sometimes.

ps Edward Woodward - I've never eaten in one either, but the McPiss was standard practice while travelling in the former Eastern bloc in the 1990s.
Friday 21 July 2017 7.58am
Rambling Phil wrote:
There are plenty of facilities that cater for the minority that do have them, but there certainly needs to be spaces that aren't child-friendly - who doesn't want to have to share space with midget tyrants whenever they go out? I imagine even parents feel that sometimes.
Sort of agree with you, but perhaps we might have different ideas as to where the line lies?

Personally, my approach to somewhere like MM (and many restaurants and pubs) is that they can be child-friendly in the daytime and early evening, but not later on. I have no problem with that.

MM for example, in my relatively limited experience, is a great place to take a child for lunch or for an early dinner, but then tends to naturally morph into a more boisterous place later on, which is more suitable for adults. IMHO, this is all good. One place can do two things quite successfully.

We were in there early on Weds evening before going over the road to a play, and there were kids in their uniforms, fresh from a local primary school, tucking into some grub with their parents. All good.

We went back for a drink after the play, and the atmosphere had changed. Music was louder, children would probably have been out of place, an ex-teacher from the same school was having some noisy harmless fun with friends, and it was still all good.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 23 July 2017 9.25pm
Lots of adults and some kids at MM this afternoon, all interacting happily.
Only problem apparent to me was that the adults had to pay for everything, and the kids never got a round in.
Bring back the golden age of child chimney sweeps!

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 29 July 2017 3.45pm
Can anyone let me know at what point did this place acquire the right to hold a 'block party' and make as much noise as they like all afternoon?
Saturday 29 July 2017 4.11pm
Before its current incarnation it was used as a space for music and club events. It happened all the time.
Saturday 29 July 2017 4.43pm
Did it? I was aware of a temporary summer open air pub type, BBQ type plane for the past couple of years. Further back I don't recall it being used for club events.
Saturday 29 July 2017 5.14pm
Nope. Part of the site was occasionally used for INDOOR events. This was an all afternoon outdoor one.
Saturday 29 July 2017 9.29pm
There have been some noisy events / raves recently in the squatted buildings adjacent to MM - is that what you heard?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions