London SE1 community website

Good news about Beehive..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 26 August 2016 12.30pm
Good news, finally have a date for official opening for The Beehive in Bartholomew street . Friday September 16th. Please drop in if you can let's help establish this old pub, otherwise if it goes downhill it will turn into another block of flats or worse still demolished..

They are having large barrels of beer stacked on their sides , just turn the tap and your beer comes into your glass...humm sounds good to me..this is so exciting ...new life being breathed into our street.
Friday 26 August 2016 1.35pm
If you follow them on Facebook you can see their progress on changing the decor and brining The Beehive back to life. They seem really passionate about the venture. Totally agree with you Jan. Let's get behind them.
Friday 26 August 2016 1.46pm
I have found American cook book with old recipes in, one included raspberry punch, but there was also one for beer using something called Essence of Spruce.. Being a nosey old biddy googled it and found you can buy it still. So will perhaps stroll in there one day and utter these words..' Bartend..gimme a Spruce Beer! ' and one for Clementina!
Sunday 28 August 2016 10.24am
On their Facebook page you will find a post giving you the opportunity of naming a beer! Met them yesterday really nice young men. Support our local pub...that's a pub not a naked restaurant!
Thursday 15 September 2016 9.05pm
Just visited Spit and Sawdust formerly the Beehive and am well impressed. The transformation is remarkable and oddly enough the interior looks like it has been there forever. On the brickwall behind the Bar there are several barrels and of course as a qualified Froth remover just had to try at least one. I was given two small samples of London Pilsner ( delicious )and the Wild Beer even more delicious! Not wanting to appear like a geriatric boozer chose only one....The Wild Beer ..I must say Wow...I kept calling it Wicked which is the vernacular of the young now days!

There are enough varieties of local ales, really local made by small breweries and believe me folks I intend to try them all. I can't wait for the food to start on Monday, Spanish Pintxos plus cheese and meat Boards, bang goes my diet still just one or two or three Pintxos can't hurt..

After the 24th there will be such a variety of foods available if I wrote them all down I'd be here all night with my one fingered typing.

If you can nip in and see what these charming young men have achieved in such a short time you'll be amazed, I'm sure once you visit it will soon become your local, it now is mine!
Friday 16 September 2016 6.30am
FB Page

Why are they referring to in being in the E&C?
Aren't they aware of the Bricklayers?
Friday 16 September 2016 10.17am
Looking forward to popping in over the weekend for a beer or two!
Monday 19 September 2016 6.15pm
Went along there on Saturday. Still lots of work needed to be done but should be pretty good by the time it's finished. Only one person came in and asked for John Smith Smooth.
Friday 23 September 2016 3.05pm
Just spent another few hours in this new pub, dragged my almost teetotal daughter in there. I ordered a pint of Wild Beer and my daughter a Coke . I told my daughter this has quickly become my favourite beer and told her to try a sip. She refused as all beer ( according to her) smells like the Elephant Pens at the Zoo. As I kept on drinking and telling her she didn't know what she was missing, she decided the only way to shut me up was to take a drink.

It backfired on me as she finished the flipping lot and ordered another pint! Humm memo to self don't supply daughter with me alcohol! There were quite a few people in last night, they don't open till 4pm. The variety of beers made by locals that I managed to taste..daughter permitting and Janefs the background music was just the right level and what I liked was conversation was an easy thing, no shouting and leaning into people just to hear what they are saying.

Many comment about the lack of ordinary pubs, if we don't use them we will lose them! It was nice to have no jukebox blaring and customers who weren't all under sixteen!
Friday 23 September 2016 3.09pm
This sounds great Jan and very near to me, I will definitely give it a go

What's a "wild beer"? Sounds very hipster :-)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions